Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Toyota Techstream and MVCI

591K views 441 replies 102 participants last post by  ruggb 
#1 ·
I bought Toyota Techstream and MVCI cable on ebay
2012 Newest V7 11 010 Mini VCI V7 for Toyota Cable Software Tis Techstream | eBay
for $28.99. This is the same software and a similar interface that the dealerships are using to diagnose, upgrade, reset, etc our Rav4s.

I can confirm this system works! I turned off my daytime running lights and removed the seat belt reminder. I also Reset my transmission adapted memory after a transmission rebuilt, watched live streaming data, such as transmission temperature. Wow, where has this been since 2007 when I got my Rav4.

This is making big waves on all the Toyota forums, such as TundraTalk and others Offical TechStream software thread( settings and such) - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum

So, I guess we need to have an official thread here on Rav4World.com! What are your experiences with Techstream and the MiniVCI cable?

Just one thing about this system, it will appear to work, but will not work on a 64 bit operating system. You NEED a 32 bit operating system. Many people are using a virtual machine for this.

See less See more
#94 ·
Yes, any Toyota after 1996

Sent from my HTC ONE X

#98 ·
Hummm I cant get that trick to work on my 2008 LTD. Anyone done this on an '08?

I go the newest version of Techstream software and got it installed in 32 bit mode but when I go register lots of options in software are greyed out and wont let me register.............Any ideas?

#102 ·
Thanks for Replying Junebug. I am running Windows XP on a lap top computer. The techstream version is 7.20.037. Not sure about the driver. How would I determine this?

Does the cable check have to be done with the cable connected to the car? Should the car be on, running?

Nothing major running in the background except MS Security Essentials, at least that I'm aware of. I run this lab top pretty lean.

The heathcheck completes fine with a couple asterisks,I think for things like 4wd & smart key, which I don't have.

I can get in and look at all the data, so it seems to be connecting ok. Thanks for any help!

#103 ·
Thanks for Replying Junebug. I am running Windows XP on a lap top computer. The techstream version is 7.20.037. Not sure about the driver. How would I determine this?
I'm running Techstream version 7.20.041 on an old Toshiba Satellite laptop running XP. The MVCI driver that came with the cable didn't work properly for me so I downloaded a newer version (v2.0.1) from this site:

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=249c4...F532375995!113

Does the cable check have to be done with the cable connected to the car? Should the car be on, running?
For some functions yes, and yes.

Nothing major running in the background except MS Security Essentials, at least that I'm aware of. I run this lab top pretty lean.

The healthcheck completes fine with a couple asterisks,I think for things like 4wd & smart key, which I don't have.

I can get in and look at all the data, so it seems to be connecting ok. Thanks for any help!
Yes, I get the asterisk for stuff I don't have like moonroof, but with the original driver, I also had an asterisk next to Engine and drivetrain. I could change custom parameters, but the cable check showed a red on the L and K lines.

#106 ·
How do you set the Air Conditioner options on a vehicle with automatic climate control so that the A/C doesn't always turn on whenever you press the Auto button? This is in a 2007 Limited.

By the way, thanks for the great info in this thread everyone. I got mine fast from a U.S. Ebay seller and had to install the updated driver that JuneBug linked to for it to work.

#107 ·
Look for the option that says "Function to turn A/C ON automatically linked
with FRONT DEF button when A/C is OFF"--change it from LINK to NORMAL.

#110 ·
I received the software and cable today. Ver 7.31.000 which includes the 2013 vehicles.

Being a computer dummy, it took me a few tries to get the software and cable driver working but I finally figured it out. I was happy to get rid of all of those beeps! Some of the functions you can set with the ignition off but others you have to have the ignition on.

One question though, does one have to register the software? Before I figured out what I was doing wrong, I was getting a message that said I was down to 27 tries left before registration was necessary to access the software. After I corrected my errors, I don't get that message anymore.

#113 ·
I got my cable just before Xmas and was trying to install today.

My CD included:
Toyota_TIS_7.20.041_Activation (folder)
MainMenu.exe (this replaces the installed exe file)
Toyota Techstream 7.20.041 Avivation.txt
Cable user manual.pdf
MVCI user manual.pdf
Toyota TIS install guide (english).pdf
Toyota Techstream 7.20.041.exe
MVCI Driver for TOYOTA-CABLE 2.0.1.msi
I got the Techstream installed and the cable driver installed fine. Plus it looks like the cable driver version is the newer one like JuneBug posted. The registration process was not what I expected. They provided a separate (probably modified) MainMenu.exe that you replace your original installed MainMenu.exe with. I opened the software to enter the registration key but the drop down is grayed out (not selectable).

Not certain if I have it completed or not yet...planning to test a connection to the RAV4 tonight. I read the posts that mention TISKEY. I do not have "TISKEY.exe" on my CD and am not sure if that is applicable to my software or not.

Keeping my fingers crossed. The stupid DRL is the first thing that is getting obliterated if this works.

#115 ·
No, it sounds like he got the same version as me. There was no tiskey on my disc nor was it needed. Replacing the MainMenu.exe file takes care of everything.

#116 ·
Cool that is what I was hoping to hear. I suspected that the registration dropdown was grayed out due to being "registered" status already. I'll know tonight if it works or not. If it does not work, I'll look around for the TISKEY to try.
Thanks JuneBug and WJBertrand. :thumbs_up:

#118 · (Edited)
Yea, I think you are right there must be more than one way to skin a cat...or "pirate a registration key". ;)
I just tried it out and it works great. I was able to turn off DRL and look around alittle too. Also ran a cable check but the two powertrain lines are not communicating even with this version of the cable driver. I'll have to play around with it some more.
Thanks for all the help. Easily worth the $30.

v - Understood and I am willing to take that risk. The DRL requirement is ridiculous, there is no substantiated proof that it alters incident occurrence. None. But this thread isn't really the place to discuss that topic.

#120 ·
Yea, I think you are right there must be more than one way to skin a cat...or "pirate a registration key". ;)
I just tried it out and it works great. I was able to turn off DRL and look around alittle too. Also ran a cable check but the two powertrain lines are not communicating even with this version of the cable driver. I'll have to play around with it some more.
Thanks for all the help. Easily worth the $30.
Don't forget to check with your car insurance agent to see if disabling DRLs will affect your insurance liabilities.

Tom

#119 ·
I know you don't care but someone else's DRL probably saved me from getting hit this week. I was backing out of my driveway during the day and couldn't see around around a van parked on the street. Just as I was starting to gun it I spotted just enough flash of a headlight reflecting off the side of the car across the street to realize someone was coming. I hit the brakes and he whizzed right by within the next second. But I'm glad you got yours disconnected. Good luck with it.

#121 ·
Having family members working in insurance I can tell you that unless you have the most anal agent on earth, as long as the car is listed as having DRL then if you are in an accident they will assume it was on during the accident. There are still plenty of older vehicles on the road with no DRL's.

They can be helpful in specific situations but I think if the DOT is so keen on DRL's then all models should just come with the auto headlamps like my wife's rav limited and take all of the control away from the user/driver.

#126 ·
avs, trying to conserve electrical energy on a self sufficient car with a robust Ahr battery is redundant. In Canada we have had daytime running lights for many years and when properly used via the e brake, they do not light until the car is running and the e brake off. So conserving some battery power via the lower powered DRL is a non issue.

Even if they remain on under a relay fault the battery draw is not that much, as in leaving your full headlight on and generally is human error.

#127 ·
Just a thought about disabling DRL and seat belt warning and such. Had my rear seats out and took the RAV for it's yearly inspection in New York ,last year and it failed. The inspectors told me that the seat belts in back had nothing to attach to and by law he had to fail me because it was safety related. I put them back in and he passed me.

You might have an unpleasant surprise ahead.

#128 ·
#129 ·
I've decided to try this a cheaper way. I ordered OBD2 to USB cable from amazon for $8 Amazon.com: OBD2 OBD II Diagnostic USB Cable For KKL409.1 VAG-COM 409: Electronics

and downloaded techstream for free from here:
Toyota TECHSTREAM 7.12.000 (2012-7/Multilingual) » Full Software Downloads - Download For All

Now i'm just waiting for cable to come it. Once it comes I will test it and let you guys know if it works.
If that cable works it would be a miracle. First, it's not even a standard OBDII cable, it uses VAG-com--VAG stands for Volkswagen Automotive Group, as in VW and Audi. Toyota uses CAN bus protocol. Second, even if it were a proper OBDII cable, it still wouldn't work with Techstream. TS requires an MVCI cable. Spend the $29 and get the right cable:

2012 Newest V7 11 010 Mini VCI V7 for Toyota Cable Software Tis Techstream | eBay

#132 ·
Several pins are standardized and can be used with an OBDII cable in any car from 1996 onward. However, many manufacturers (including Toyota) use the other pins for proprietary data. For example, a standard OBDII reader can't see the codes for the Toyota ABS system because they are on other pins.

#147 ·
Install help?

I have installed & reinstalled the software. It seems to get hung up on the TISKEY. Any solutions?

Thanks.
What exactly are you doing and on what type of computer. I had that same problem on a vista but none on a straight xp.
On the new version 7.31.00 software I install the software, installed the new driver and then copied the main menu file into the software following the directions in the activation file. I did not have to enter the key.

#143 ·
Neglecting the change in resistance as temperature changes, here is a simpler way of looking at things.

The bulbs 65w rating will be at 13.8V, so filament resistance is (13.8 *13.8 /65) (R=V*V/P) or 2.93 ohms.

When the bulbs are in series the voltage across each bulb is 6.9V. The power dissipated across each bulb is (6.9*6.9/2.93) (P=V*V/R) or 16 watts.

So putting the bulbs in series changes the power from 65 Watts to 16 Watts (for a single bulb), which is 25% of normal. If we account for both bulbs the power drops from 130 Watts to 32 Watts, which is also 25%.

If we assume the cooler filament had 25% of the resistance (.7325 ohms), then the power across each bulb is (6.9*6.9/.7325) or 65 watts. This means it would be running at normal brightness again, which we know from observation is not true. So the true wattage of the bulbs in series is somewhere between 25% and 100%. We would need to measure the current to get an accurate measurement.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.