Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Toyota Techstream and MVCI

591K views 441 replies 102 participants last post by  ruggb 
#1 ·
I bought Toyota Techstream and MVCI cable on ebay
2012 Newest V7 11 010 Mini VCI V7 for Toyota Cable Software Tis Techstream | eBay
for $28.99. This is the same software and a similar interface that the dealerships are using to diagnose, upgrade, reset, etc our Rav4s.

I can confirm this system works! I turned off my daytime running lights and removed the seat belt reminder. I also Reset my transmission adapted memory after a transmission rebuilt, watched live streaming data, such as transmission temperature. Wow, where has this been since 2007 when I got my Rav4.

This is making big waves on all the Toyota forums, such as TundraTalk and others Offical TechStream software thread( settings and such) - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum

So, I guess we need to have an official thread here on Rav4World.com! What are your experiences with Techstream and the MiniVCI cable?

Just one thing about this system, it will appear to work, but will not work on a 64 bit operating system. You NEED a 32 bit operating system. Many people are using a virtual machine for this.

See less See more
#202 ·
The newest software is 8.10.021 but all the links I find have a corrupt .zip file

Anyone have this that can share it?

Thanks

#203 · (Edited)
I was running Techstream on a Dell D620 and Vista32 bit. Everything worked except I could not see any graphs, leds, etc when viewing PCM data. The screens were there but nothing in them. The data list to the left was ok. I just yanked the hard drive out of that laptop and popped in another and am installing XP Pro to see if Vista was the cause. Most everything I read says XP only.

edit

Techstream 8.10.021 is up and running on the D630 with XP Pro

#205 ·
Driver install trouble

Hello, I’m having trouble installing the software and would be grateful for help. I’ve read thru this complete thread.

I purchased the MVCI thru Amazon, and it came with Techstream 8.00.034.exe, Update V8.10.021.exe, TISKEY.exe, and MVCI Driver for Toyota.msi. I’ve got a Win7x64-Pro laptop so installed Windows XP Mode.

In XP Mode, I first installed 8.00.034 then ran TISKEY. Then I launched the 8.00.034 and filled out the configuration page, and later updated to V8.10.021.

After which I tried to install MVCI Driver for Toyota.msi but receive a message error, “The Windows Installer does not permit installation from a Remote Desktop Connection”. I have the cable attached to USB while trying the install. I tested the function of the USB port in the Virtual XP Mode by trying an external USB hard drive.

What am I doing wrong? Thanks much.

Ralph

Attachments

#207 ·
Dude, that was it and triggered some neurons over here. While I did have the software on a local drive, it wasn't in a place that XP Mode recognized as local. So I copied it from my local D-drive to the mystery C:\ place reserved for XP mode.

It seems to have worked! Here's a screenshot to help explain it to the next poor guy. I'll try it tonight and start looking to add a 2nd smartkey.

Attachments

#208 ·
Not there yet.

Hello again -

I did get the cable driver installed, but cannot connect. The error is now "Unable to Connect to VIM" using Techstream. When I launch the MVCI firmware tool (XHorse), and hit "Device Info" I get N/A's and "Not Connected".

Is there something I am doing wrong? I.e. boot/ cable connection / car start order, or do I have a bad cable?

Screenshots attached.

Attachments

#209 ·
Hello again -

I did get the cable driver installed, but cannot connect. The error is now "Unable to Connect to VIM" using Techstream. When I launch the MVCI firmware tool (XHorse), and hit "Device Info" I get N/A's and "Not Connected".

Is there something I am doing wrong? I.e. boot/ cable connection / car start order, or do I have a bad cable?
I doubt you have a bad cable. You need to run "MVCI Driver for TOYOTA-CABLE 2.0.1.msi" installer to install the driver. If you don't have this driver, or cannot find it, let me know and I will do my best to see that you get it.

If you have installed the driver using the .msi file, then there is a faulty driver installation, a bad USB port or the cable is bad.

Once you have the driver loaded correctly, you must tell Techstream to use that driver. To do this, open Techstream, go to Setup at the top of the screen and choose VIM Select and make sure X-Horse is selected.

Also, the firmware update will not work. It links to a server that is no longer operational. In fact, it was looking for the X-Horse server. That company is out of business. The X-Horse driver works well with the cheaper knockoff cable but certain functions do not work as intended.

Let's get your cable working then we can work on what will work and what will not work.

#210 ·
still fumbling

I'm still stumbling around this:

I ran "MVCI Driver for TOYOTA-CABLE 2.0.1.msi" and see that X-Horse is selected under VIM Select. See attached pic. But "Connect to Vehicle" results in the same "Unable to Connect to VIM" error. I tested the same USB port within XP mode with an external USB hard drive and it connected properly.

Just to be on the safe side, I connect the cable first, start the engine and then launch XP mode.

Thanks, Ralph

Attachments

#211 ·
I'm still stumbling around this:

I ran "MVCI Driver for TOYOTA-CABLE 2.0.1.msi" and see that X-Horse is selected under VIM Select. See attached pic. But "Connect to Vehicle" results in the same "Unable to Connect to VIM" error. I tested the same USB port within XP mode with an external USB hard drive and it connected properly.

Just to be on the safe side, I connect the cable first, start the engine and then launch XP mode.

Thanks, Ralph
Scroll down on that screen to see where the driver is located. If the driver is at the location it is pointing to, then I am stumped. I'm running Vista on two Dell 620 laptops. One is for the knockoff cable so I can view PCM data and the other is for the X-Horse cable so I can do customizations. I have been unable to do everything with one cable/driver.

#212 ·
computer life gets so old

I cannot scroll the window below what you see in that screenshot on post #210. I do see the address C:\Program Files\XHorse Electronics\Mini-VCI Driver for TOYOTA TIS, so took a look and there were two folders. One was created when I installed the driver from the mini-CD and the other from a shared download.

Hoping a for a conflict resolution to cure, I re-ran both driver installs and removed both. Then after a reboot I just installed the downloaded one: MVCI Driver for TOYOTA-CABLE 2.0.1.msi. Still no joy. Here's screenshots of before and after the above exercise.

The first thing I'm hoping to do is to turn off a blinking dash light on the Prius so I can sell it without a bunch of extra work. My 2002 Prius came with optional side airbags, and along the way a squirrel chewed up the passenger seat so that got replaced a plain non-airbag one. I'm hoping to turn off the light and avoid scavenging the new upholstery and installing it on the original airbag seat.

Ralph

Attachments

#213 ·
I borrowed an old XP laptop from a neighbor and have the software running.

My first task is to change the seat type in my 2002 Prius from airbag to non-airbag (i.e. turn off the dashboard airbag warning light). The original airbag seat was torn up by a hungry squirrel hunting for crumbs, and I replaced it with a used non-airbag seat. I looked but did not find the option to do this.

Cheerio - Ralph

#214 ·
Thanks everybody!

Got a cable on Amazon, installed Windows XP 32 bit in VMWare, downoaded software and drivers in this thread, and boom right in :)

Re-programmed the door unlock for single push and changed the relock delay from 30s to 60s is all for now.

How do I view live data with the engine running? It says system unavailable to me if engine is running.

#227 ·
So does this software let you remap the ECU for the engine? Like can we change AFR's or timing or anything like that?

I have a Cobb AccessPort for my Mazdaspeed 3 and I can remap all of the engine parameters to tune for additional performance or fuel economy or really anything I want. I wonder if that's possible with this software?

#228 ·
No, absolutely not. Toyota would not allow tampering with anything that might increase emissions.

#230 ·
He's saying that there is no such option within the Toyota software that can do these modifications.

I'm sure there are third party applications/software that can change/remap the ecu but you'd have to call around the dyno shops and ask them if they can recommend a place.

#236 ·
#237 ·
I am on the fence for pulling the trigger on one of these, but I have a few questions.

1 - Can they disable the rapid flasher circuit on the blinkers?
2 - Can they allow the fog lights to turn on without the low-beams on?

#238 ·
No and no.

to fix the fast flashing, you have to get a new LED flasher relay to replace the stock relay.

to have fog lights on without low beams needs to be wired separately. you will need to add a relay with 12 +tive source.

#240 ·
Reactions: ravdad1 and DVS
#242 ·
It included a CD with the software and the cable.

Reactions: omarsara
#247 ·
I bought my cable with software 2 years ago when this thread was first posted. I've finally replaced my old WinXP laptop with a new one running Windows 8.1 Update. Can someone point me to a location to download the latest software update? Does it run on 64-bit Windows 8.1?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.