Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Toyota Techstream and MVCI

591K views 441 replies 102 participants last post by  ruggb 
#1 ·
I bought Toyota Techstream and MVCI cable on ebay
2012 Newest V7 11 010 Mini VCI V7 for Toyota Cable Software Tis Techstream | eBay
for $28.99. This is the same software and a similar interface that the dealerships are using to diagnose, upgrade, reset, etc our Rav4s.

I can confirm this system works! I turned off my daytime running lights and removed the seat belt reminder. I also Reset my transmission adapted memory after a transmission rebuilt, watched live streaming data, such as transmission temperature. Wow, where has this been since 2007 when I got my Rav4.

This is making big waves on all the Toyota forums, such as TundraTalk and others Offical TechStream software thread( settings and such) - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum

So, I guess we need to have an official thread here on Rav4World.com! What are your experiences with Techstream and the MiniVCI cable?

Just one thing about this system, it will appear to work, but will not work on a 64 bit operating system. You NEED a 32 bit operating system. Many people are using a virtual machine for this.

See less See more
#59 ·
I've been playing with it for the last couple of days. One interesting thing I've discovered-The TPMS system is much more elaborate than I'd thought. I was not aware that it was detecting actual Press and Temp in each tire. Kinda nifty.

Rick

#65 ·
Got my cable, and after dealing with the USB driver issue, I can now make customizations! Does anyone know if it is possible to change the smart key entry on the driver's side so when you grab the handle it unlocks all doors instead of just the driver's door?

I got the car to unlock all doors on one click of the wireless remote, but we are getting spoiled and just leave the remote in our pocket now and touch the handle. But, when the driver does it, the passenger is still locked out and then they have to hit the unlock button on the inside to let everyone else in. Kind of defeats the whole purpose!

#68 ·
Got my cable, and after dealing with the USB driver issue, I can now make customizations! Does anyone know if it is possible to change the smart key entry on the driver's side so when you grab the handle it unlocks all doors instead of just the driver's door?
Yes, I believe you can.

#67 ·
#69 ·
With no cable plugged in my Windows Vista 32-Bit machine, I
Installed TechStream 7.20.041.exe
Installed J2534 - Mangoose Pro.exe
Installed TISKEY.exe

plugged the MVCi cable and installed driver that came with "TechStream 7.20" CD

Connected MVCI cable to car. Light is still red on cable port.
Double click on the TechStream desktop icon.

"Connect to Vehicle --> AutoVehicle Select" does not work,
"connect to OBD2" does not work

I download file "MVCI Driver for TOYOTA-CABLE 2.0.1.msi" from https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=249c44f532375995&id=249C44F532375995!113

and run the msi package. I still cannot connect to Vehicle or OBD2.
I see that there is an icon on the desktop called "MVCI Firmware Update Tool".

I run this tool and click "Online Update" and I get an error "Unable to connect to the update server, please check the network connection."

I have attached my Cable Check status. Everything is red.

What am I doing wrong here?

Attachments

#73 ·
JuneBug, I followed your simple instructions and it worked! I can't believe the headache I had to deal with for the past 2 days.

I changed the Seat Belt Alarm and 2-Beep unlock feature for a start. Also change interior illumination light to 60 seconds.

I have one concern about the Cable Check. Is it ok to have these 2 pins as red? Does the RAV not have those pins or do I need to start the RAV for them to be detected?

Freezing rain for the next few hours :(

Attachments

#75 ·
OK, at first I had the red on the K and L lines as well using the driver on the disc. After I downloaded and installed the newer driver from the Skydrive site, all the lines were green. Without the K and L lines you will not be able to look at the engine and transmission modules.

#76 ·
I thought I was using the driver from Skydrive. May be the driver from the disc is still installed even though I tried to uninstall my previous install.

Good to know that yours works well. I will try again to see if it is using the correct driver.

BTW, what is the file name (dll file I suppose) of the driver being used by the cable?

#80 ·
I wasn't able to get it to work with the tech stream VIM. I had to use the x-horse.

I'm trying to
1) open all doors with one press
2) remove the chimes when pressing the remote
3) remove the annoying seatbelt warning noise

Anyone know what the 'key' or category is for these? I'm guessing it's under the body ecu

#79 ·
#83 ·
I ordered v7.11.010 from New Egg but received v7.10.030 instead. Will that still work on our 2011 Rav4? Turns out it's different vendor that sells through New Egg. They tried to fix the problem but sent me another copy of v7.10.030 again! Now I have two complete software and cable kits! I am still working with them but it's become a hassle and they are upset I gave them a below average rating when they did not answer my first email complaint. The poor rating finally got their attention though! The company is Patazon. They seem to be trying to solve the issue but are clueless it seems.

They seem to have a different name for their cable - Mongoose or somesuch.

It seems like the latest version is 7.20. something. Can that version of software be downloaded anywhere

#84 ·
OK, I seem to be stuck. Techstream opens, I can do a health check and move about in the menus. I can't seem to figure out how to change any of the settings though. when I go into customize I can see all the settings but when I select them nothing happens. A window opens momentarily with a code of some kind but then it closes again and leaves me where I was. Confused.

#100 ·
OK, I seem to be stuck. Techstream opens, I can do a health check and move about in the menus. I can't seem to figure out how to change any of the settings though. when I go into customize I can see all the settings but when I select them nothing happens. A window opens momentarily with a code of some kind but then it closes again and leaves me where I was. Confused.
Not one to quote myself, but I really need help here. I've upgraded to 7.20 something but I still have the same problem. Everyone else does not seem to have this issue but I cannot seem to get past it. I cannot get farther than the customize page. When I select a system, click the right arrow at the bottom of the page or double click the feature I wish to customize, nothing happens excpet a small window opens with reference code of some kind then closes, then nothing. I'm stumped :wall help!

#85 ·
I have the same issue.
I have some crappy English instructions which do not make sense.

The correct drivers are at https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=249c4...F532375995!113

Read JuneBug's suggestions here.

http://www.rav4world.com/forums/96-4-3-general/92711-toyota-techstream-mvci-8.html#post945170

It worked for me although I still have the 2 red "lines" when I do a cable check. I have not had the chance to use the other Drivers to try to fix it or even the new ones that the seller will be sending me. DO NOT use Mongoose.

#87 ·
My understanding is that it will not work on a 64 bit machine due to the drivers. Some folks have had success runing in XP mode but that's as much as I know. I don't think you need the adapter, just the USB to OBD II cable.

I just wish I could figure out how to change the settings once I'm in there! Something's not working right.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.