Trade '07 RAV4 sooner, or later? - Page 2 - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.3 General Discuss anything RAV4.3 related that doesn't fit in the categories below.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#11 (permalink) Old 11-19-2012, 12:10 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I would trade the RAV4 now.

The way I look at it, cars are becoming more and more fuel efficient. The longer you wait, the less appeal your RAV will have. Also the extended warranty is definitely a huge plus. If you are not in a hurry to sell, advertise it and take your time to sell it. If you do not get your price, you can consider keeping it.

2008 Base Rav4, 4 Cylinder, 4WD
My upgrades Allen Spare tire Bike Rack
Currently listening to "Europe" - Wings of Tomorrow
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#12 (permalink) Old 11-19-2012, 12:54 PM
Blu

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanib View Post
I would trade the RAV4 now.

The way I look at it, cars are becoming more and more fuel efficient. The longer you wait, the less appeal your RAV will have. Also the extended warranty is definitely a huge plus. If you are not in a hurry to sell, advertise it and take your time to sell it. If you do not get your price, you can consider keeping it.
The last three cars I sold, I was not in a hurry to sell and I listed them with the same intent as mentioned above. I eventually got what I wanted without too much hasle.

I have thought about changing to a prius or another hybrid for better mileage but whenever I think about doing that I end up 'needing' my RAV for something.

Reasons I've kept my RAV4:
  1. My main need is being able to fit my dog crate in the back on road trips and still have a back seat for my daughter. (We are taking a 600 mile road trip for thanksgiving this week and taking our lab and his 42'' crate which folds and fits perfectly in the back of the RAV). Without the RAV, I'd likely be paying a dog sitter.
  2. I like the 269 hp, I rarely need it, but I cringe at having less than 150 hp.
  3. MPG, even loaded up with 3 people and a large dog I still get 25 mpg hwy with the V6 4wd. If mileage was worse, I would be more eager to get hybrid.
  4. Its been paid off for a while and I love not having a payment. Within the past two years I replaced the water pump, two wheel bearings, and two ignition coils, hopefully it doesnt get any worse. But even all that only amounted to what 3-4 car payments would be.
  5. Finally, probably the biggest reason why I still have my Rav - There just isnt a significant (afordable) upgrade yet - Here are my thoughts on what is available:
  • EV RAV4, too expensive, not good for longer drives and road trips.
  • Prius is too small and too weak, if the prius V was a little bigger i might consider it. CT200h is basically the same, too small & too weak.
  • Highlander Hybrid (or any other hybrid SUV) the combined MPG is only 28, while better than the RAV4, its not worth spending the extra money at this point when I average 21-26 in the RAV4.
  • I just cant come to grips to buy a Ford or other american car yet, even though the RAV hasnt been perfect, i still trust Toyota reliability over the american competitors.
My 'perfect' affordable car would be a RAV4 hybrid that got 30+mpg all around and still kept reasonable power and price under $30k. Maybe soon, or am I just dreaming?
#13 (permalink) Old 11-19-2012, 08:54 PM
Advanced Member

You could wait for a 2015 Prius.

New 90mpg, 4WD Toyota Prius shapes up | Auto Express

2008 V6 Sport 4WD Flint Mica
#14 (permalink) Old 11-20-2012, 06:40 AM

Aptos,

If inclimate weather is not an issue (snow etc) I would get the Prius. But, wait to see if newer versions have more 'pep'.
My son-in-law has a Prius thats 2 years old and LOVES it!
Even though my RAV is only a year old,,,I am very interested in looking at the new RAV and the LEXUS version when available.

Rob West
#15 (permalink) Old 11-20-2012, 09:01 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Blu, w/o my having to dig for it, what year is your RAV4?

Fred
2006 RAV4 V6 4WD Red Limited - wife's
2006 Accord V6 Hybrid - Dr. Dyno's - quick as the RAV but +8 mpg
2003 Odyssey V6 - handy people & cargo mover
1999 F-250 4X4 Diesel - snow plow, Bully Dog chip
2001 F-250 4X4 Diesel - truck camper, TS chip, 20' bike/trike dyno trailer
2004 Suzuki DRZ-400S Dual Sport

It's the pedal (or the handgrip) on the right!!
#16 (permalink) Old 11-20-2012, 09:12 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptos Driver View Post
However, since we got a 2012 Camry XLE hybrid earlier this year, I've been thinking about replacing the RAV4 with a hybrid offering similar utility. I love the mileage we're getting with the Camry; we're averaging 40-41 mpg over about 5,500 miles so far.

Possible replacements for the RAV at this point: Prius V or the new Ford C-MAX hybrid. The Prius's reliability is unquestioned, but its 134 combined hp is pretty anemic compared to my RAV's 268 hp.
Your hp comments make me wonder how your 4-cylinder + electric Camry performs. Your comparisons to the others you mentioned, please.

I absolutely love how the electric motor's torque complements the V6 in my Accord Hybrid, but apparently not enough other folks did as it was discontinued after '07. More power than the V6 model + better mileage than the I4 works for me!

Fred
2006 RAV4 V6 4WD Red Limited - wife's
2006 Accord V6 Hybrid - Dr. Dyno's - quick as the RAV but +8 mpg
2003 Odyssey V6 - handy people & cargo mover
1999 F-250 4X4 Diesel - snow plow, Bully Dog chip
2001 F-250 4X4 Diesel - truck camper, TS chip, 20' bike/trike dyno trailer
2004 Suzuki DRZ-400S Dual Sport

It's the pedal (or the handgrip) on the right!!
#17 (permalink) Old 11-20-2012, 10:52 AM
Blu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Dyno View Post
Blu, w/o my having to dig for it, what year is your RAV4?
Its an 06 and I recently crossed over 100k miles.
#18 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012, 01:15 PM
Blu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptos Driver View Post
Still have less than 45,000 miles on my 5 1/2-year-old RAV4 Limited. No real problems to date, other than the usual stuff -- steering column "clunk", bad radio, white noise in the audio when playing and charging my iPhone/iPod simultaneously. Had all those repaired and the oil-line fix as well before it became a problem (thanks for the heads-up RAV4 World). I still have nearly a year and a half to go on my extended warranty. (At the rate I'm driving, I'll never hit 100K miles before then.)

I'm accustomed to keeping our cars for 10 years and putting at least 150,000 miles on them. However, since we got a 2012 Camry XLE hybrid earlier this year, I've been thinking about replacing the RAV4 with a hybrid offering similar utility. I love the mileage we're getting with the Camry; we're averaging 40-41 mpg over about 5,500 miles so far. The most I can squeeze out of the RAV4 in mixed driving around here is 22 mpg. And I just hate idling at traffic lights.

Possible replacements for the RAV at this point: Prius V or the new Ford C-MAX hybrid. The Prius's reliability is unquestioned, but its 134 combined hp is pretty anemic compared to my RAV's 268 hp. (I haven't driven a Prius yet, ever.) The C-MAX puts out 200 hp combined, but it's too new; I prefer to let the first-adopters have a go at it before I buy one. I've also been researching the Lexus CT200H hybrid, but under the skin it's just an overpriced Prius.

Anyway, our RAV is in very good condition, with only a couple of minor body blemishes (I'll probably get those fixed in any case). Per Kelley's BB it's still worth $15,600 to $16,400 to a dealer. I don't feel any urgency to unload it now, but I'm thinking I might want to before the extended warranty expires in April 2014. I don't think a hybrid RAV4 is in the cards, although the Prius might be updated by then -- with Lithium-ion batteries and a more robust power plant. (Are you listening, Toyota?)

I'm interesting in hearing what other RAV Gen. 3 owners think about this. Would you want to trade a five-plus year-old RAV4 with similar low miles for a hybrid now? (I wouldn't consider unloading it for anything else.)
Looks like the new RAV4 will finally be revealed tomorrow, its worth a look:
Toyota Upcoming Vehicles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page