Adding an extra key using Techstream! - Page 15 - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.3 General Discuss anything RAV4.3 related that doesn't fit in the categories below.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #141 of 149 (permalink) Old 06-12-2016, 11:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thanks, Junebug. Your description and the screenshots were helpful.

It took me a bit to get the software going (hint: make sure you read all the README files and get the various drivers loaded).

After that, it was pretty easy.

I ended up getting two valet style keys from the fleabay. A locksmith I went to would not cut them because of the "cheap Chinese metal that is not all brass" that would mess up his cutting wheel. The local Home Depot ended up cutting them (for free).

$15 for the pair of keys, $20 for the software and cable (also from fleabay) and an hour of my time. Yes, please!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #142 of 149 (permalink) Old 06-29-2016, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuneBug View Post
Recently a few of us have bought the MVCI cable and Techstream software from Ebay. Among other things, it allows you to program a lot of functions on the RAV4 that previously would have required an expensive visit to the dealership. Adding a new ignition key is one example. With Techstream anyone can program the remote lock/unlock functions as well as the ignition immobiliser chip.

Junebug, thanks for the photos and great educational text , as I want to make an extra key. When I bought my 2006 rav it had only one key, so I had the dealer convince the sales manager to make us another key/remote. My question is ,Are both considered masters, and can I use either one to make an extra key/remote? I don't think Ill need the Tecchstream , as I only want one extra key/remote.
Thanks

Last edited by JuneBug; 06-29-2016 at 09:50 PM.
post #143 of 149 (permalink) Old 06-29-2016, 02:05 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Master key or Secondary Key? Immobiliser or W/O Immobiliser?

First off do you have an immobiliser in your 2006 RAV4 Sport ? You should see the word "Security" LED light below the radio which will blink when the car is not running. If you don't have an immobiliser then the wireless control on the FOB is the only thing you need to program (if you want that type of key). If you have no Security LED then you have no immobiliser. You can use use a regular key to start or open the car.

The original fob keys are usually the master keys. The original valet key is usually the secondary key. (this key has no wireless function) Note a valet key can be programmed as a master key. A fob key can be programmed as a secondary key.

There is a way to really tell if a key is a master key or secondary key:
1. Locate / identify the "Security" light - it should be blinking all the time when no key is in the ignition.
2. Watch the Security light as you insert a key into the ignition. One of 3 things will happen:
a) light continues blinking - unrecognized key
b) light stays on 1-3 seconds before going off = valet key
c) light goes off immediately or does not blink again = master key

According to this thread only certain models have an immobiliser :2006 RAV4 Spare Key
All RAV4 for Canadian market have an immobiliser 2006-2012
2006-2008 immobiliser for LTD models (for US market)
2009 -2012 immobiliser standard on all models (for US market)

So according to above info Sparky52, if your 2006 Sport is not a Canadian model you should have no immobiliser.

As to programming the key without Techstream someone who has experience doing so can answer this.
I found some instructions you may try: http://fdo-workspace.blogspot.com/20...-for-2006.html

post #144 of 149 (permalink) Old 06-29-2016, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptos Driver View Post
It sounds and looks too complicated and time-consuming for me. I have enough trouble with my desktop programs as it is without adding my RAV4 to the loop. Our local ACE Hardware store can make duplicate keys for $35, or so they say.
Aptos Driver , if U have ACE Hardware make u a key/remote , please let us know how it works.?
post #145 of 149 (permalink) Old 12-04-2016, 10:20 PM

Hi,

I recently tried to do the same with my LEXUS IS250 2007, however, when I get to the system selection screen it returns this message when I try to double click on "Smart Access", which is where I would program the smart key.

http://www.rav4world.com/forums/atta...=88185&thumb=1

Anyone know what the issue is and how to resolve?

Daniel
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tech Stream Error.jpg (232.6 KB, 8 views)
post #146 of 149 (permalink) Old 12-05-2016, 01:21 AM Thread Starter
Your Humble Administrator

Thanked 1,968 Times in 1,413 Posts
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3balls View Post
Hi,

I recently tried to do the same with my LEXUS IS250 2007, however, when I get to the system selection screen it returns this message when I try to double click on "Smart Access", which is where I would program the smart key.

http://www.rav4world.com/forums/atta...=88185&thumb=1

Anyone know what the issue is and how to resolve?

Daniel
All of your systems are in yellow--that means ECU status unknown. For you to be able to access a system, it must show up in white--that means Techstream is communicating with it. For some systems, the engine must be running for it to communicate.

Help RAV4World members help you by providing your car's operating location in your profile page. Climate can cause a RAV4 in Dallas Wisconsin to experience a different set of issues when compared to the same model in Dallas Texas.

2008 Limited V6 2WD "The Silver Bullet"

post #147 of 149 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 04:27 PM
Advanced Member

I followed the instructions but on the final step, programming the immobilizer, I got an error message saying something like the operation failed due to an unexpected response from the ECU, would you like to try again? When I tried again it said it failed because the key was already programmed.

I tried the key and it works. I guess that's good but the error messages make me nervous. Is it not 100% complete meaning I could end up stranded with a non-working key at some point?
post #148 of 149 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 07:08 PM Thread Starter
Your Humble Administrator

Thanked 1,968 Times in 1,413 Posts
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnivore View Post
I followed the instructions but on the final step, programming the immobilizer, I got an error message saying something like the operation failed due to an unexpected response from the ECU, would you like to try again? When I tried again it said it failed because the key was already programmed.

I tried the key and it works. I guess that's good but the error messages make me nervous. Is it not 100% complete meaning I could end up stranded with a non-working key at some point?
I wouldn't worry about it. Probably the unexpected response was that it didn't get the "successful" code back from the ECU in time. If the key works, it works. It's not going to go bad at some future time.

Help RAV4World members help you by providing your car's operating location in your profile page. Climate can cause a RAV4 in Dallas Wisconsin to experience a different set of issues when compared to the same model in Dallas Texas.

2008 Limited V6 2WD "The Silver Bullet"

The Following User Says Thank You to JuneBug For This Useful Post:
Carnivore (02-05-2017)
post #149 of 149 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuneBug View Post
I wouldn't worry about it. Probably the unexpected response was that it didn't get the "successful" code back from the ECU in time. If the key works, it works. It's not going to go bad at some future time.
I get that error on the step waiting for the ecu to program my new key it usually reaches 70 seconds and comes up with that error or "there is an unexpected response from the ecu" or "there is communication error between key and ecu" idk what's wrong please help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page