Adding an extra key using Techstream! - Page 3 - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.3 General Discuss anything RAV4.3 related that doesn't fit in the categories below.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#21 (permalink) Old 01-07-2013, 03:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Went to a locksmith and he was able to fix the key. Although he did mention that Home Depot chewed it up. Some parts was cut too deep which cannot be fixed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#22 (permalink) Old 01-07-2013, 03:51 PM
Advanced Member

A locksmith can make a perfect factory replacement using the code on that little aluminum tag that came with your keys new. Copying an older, used key is far from ideal.

WJBertrand
2011 Rav4
#23 (permalink) Old 01-07-2013, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJBertrand View Post
A locksmith can make a perfect factory replacement using the code on that little aluminum tag that came with your keys new. Copying an older, used key is far from ideal.
That's good to know. I'll do that with the next one.
#24 (permalink) Old 01-17-2013, 05:28 PM

Has anyone ever removed a key? I lost a key and I would like to eliminate it from the list.
#25 (permalink) Old 03-31-2013, 02:04 AM

Smile Any Techstream user in Vancouver BC

Hi All,

I hope I am not hijacking a thread with this favor.

I have been reading a lot in this forum and got tons of information which helped me decide to get a RAV4 to replace my CRV which my older son has taken ownership.

Like what I did with my CRV, I replace on of my keys with the flip type. But I did it when the casing of the original key I got from Honda (all-in-one) got broken.

Anyways, my inquiry is...

Is there anyone from Vancouver, BC that uses this Techstream software and cable? I would like to program the flip key I got for my RAV4 but dealer said it is $75 plus tax. I wonder if any fellow RAV4 owner here in Vancouver and has the Techstream would be willing to help. I just don't feel like buying the Techsteam as I may only used it once. Also, I only got Win7 in my laptop.

Thanks for the response.
#26 (permalink) Old 04-13-2013, 07:33 PM

Talking Decided to buy the Techstream

After waiting for reply if anyone here is from Vancouver, BC...I decided to buy the Techstream USB device.

Received it today and read the instructions on how to use it. I installed it first on my wife's notebook (thinking it has Win7 32 bit) but it has the 64 bit.

So went back to the house and retrieved my old notebook I am using for radio programs...installed the TIS and the device driver.

Went out to the RAV4...run the TIS and plugged the device. Followed the instructions I got from here. I was able to program the flip key I got from ebay and the old used key (same FCC ID with mine). I did not have to get the remote and chip from any of my original keys.

Thanks a lot to this forum!
#27 (permalink) Old 04-27-2013, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJBertrand View Post
This is a little scary, but apparently they can cut the metal key from the VIN number.

I bought a used RAV4 about a month ago and it only had one key (Smart Key). The dealer (NOT a Toyota shop) set up an appointment for me to meet with their locksmith to get a new second key. When the guy showed up, the metal door key had already been cut and it worked perfectly. He just had to do the Techstream thing to get the Smart Key programmed.
#28 (permalink) Old 05-30-2013, 01:43 PM

FCC-ID: HYQ12BBY is the old generation rfid/immobilizer system (toyota's before 2010). The new system is HYQ12BDC, and there is a "G" stamped into the metal blade. I've called a half dozen lock smiths, and none of them can program this 2010-2013 toyota key.

Safe to assume the techstream cable cannot either?

--edfardos
#29 (permalink) Old 05-30-2013, 02:11 PM
Your Humble Administrator

Thanked 1,110 Times in 803 Posts
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by edfardos View Post
FCC-ID: HYQ12BBY is the old generation rfid/immobilizer system (toyota's before 2010). The new system is HYQ12BDC, and there is a "G" stamped into the metal blade. I've called a half dozen lock smiths, and none of them can program this 2010-2013 toyota key.

Safe to assume the techstream cable cannot either?
Techstream can program either one with no problems.

One clarification, though. The FCC ID code refers to the remote entry transmitter ONLY. It has nothing to do with the immobilizer system. I have a key that has the newer HYQ12BDC transmitter but has the older immobilizer chip with the DOT on the key, not a G. They are two separate systems.

James

2008 Limited V6 2WD "The Silver Bullet"

#30 (permalink) Old 05-30-2013, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuneBug View Post
Techstream can program either one with no problems.

One clarification, though. The FCC ID code refers to the remote entry transmitter ONLY. It has nothing to do with the immobilizer system. I have a key that has the newer HYQ12BDC transmitter but has the older immobilizer chip with the DOT on the key, not a G. They are two separate systems.
Great info - thanks! So has anyone here actually registered a key with a "G" stamped on the blade (assuming G indicates the 2010-2013 immobilizer/transponder key) using the Techstream cable? specific software version required?

The original post showed a 2008 Rav4, which is the older system (no G, but rather a 'dot' stamped on the key).

thanks again!
-edfardos
2012 Rav4'Sport (with one key)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page