Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Adding an extra key using Techstream!

216K views 300 replies 70 participants last post by  SoNic67 
#1 ·
So, you bought a used Toyota and it only came with one key? All Toyotas with a regular ignition switch came from the factory with 3 keys--2 master keys with remote lock/unlock buttons, and a plain sub key called a valet key. How you can tell if a key is programmed as a master or a valet key:

Look at the Security light on the dash. With no key inserted, it will flash constantly.

Valet key--when first inserted into the ignition lock, the Security Light will stay on for 2 seconds and then stay off.

Master key--when inserted into the ignition lock, the Security Light will stop flashing and not illuminate at all.

The valet key will open the door and start the vehicle. It will NOT unlock the glove box and CANNOT be used to program duplicate keys.

All Toyotas with push button start come from the factory with 2 SmartKeys. These remote fobs each come with a removeable key blade that can be used to unlock the driver's door if the battery is dead. The blade can also be used to lock/unlock the glove box. If you are giving your car to a valet, first remove the key blade, lock the glove box, then give the remote fob to the valet without the key blade.

Recently a few of us have bought the MVCI cable and Techstream software from Ebay. Among other things, it allows you to program a lot of functions on the RAV4 that previously would have required an expensive visit to the dealership. Adding a new ignition key is one example. With Techstream anyone can program the remote lock/unlock functions as well as the ignition immobiliser chip.

A while back I ordered a nice flip key from an Ebay seller, and I really like it:

So much so, that I just ordered another one (for less than $12) to keep as a spare in case that design gets discontinued. It always bothered me that I had to cannibalize one of my original keys for the remote module and immobiliser chip. The empty shell was sadly sitting in my drawer with only the mechanical key blade left. So I searched on Ebay for a used key with the FCC ID of HYQ12BBY that I could cannibalize and put the guts back into my empty shell. I found one with the immobiliser chip, placed a bid and won it for a grand total of $9.49 including shipping. This one had a trunk button, so it probably came from a Camry, but that doesn't matter. As long as it has the HYQ12BBY code, it's compatible:

It arrived in the mail today, and in perfect shape. After prying open the donor key shell I removed the remote module and started digging out the immobiliser chip. This chip was glued in so well that I ended up destroying the front of the key shell, but I finally got it out. I transplanted the immobiliser chip and remote module into my original key and snapped it shut. So now I had my original mechanical key that fit into the door lock and ignition switch, but without programming, it would not unlock the doors
remotely nor start the engine.

At this point I fired up the Techstream software on my laptop and headed out to the RAV. Plugged the MVCI cable into the OBDII port and the other end into a USB port on the laptop. Inserted my master key and turned
the ignition to ON. Clicked on "Connect to Vehicle" and waited while it negotiated the connection. After a few moments, a window popped up showing that it had connected to a 2008 RAV4 with 2GR-FE engine and the only thing I had to choose was 2WD or 4WD. At this point I ran a "Health Check" so that the software could communicate with all the ECM's for the various systems. I figured I would start by programming the remote keyless door lock functions so from the "System Selection Menu" I chose "Main Body"

and then "Utility" and "Wireless Code Registration."

At this point the "Wireless Code Registration Wizard" popped up:

I followed the prompts, and the programming was complete. At this point I could click "Next" for another key or "Exit" if finished. Took all of 2 minutes.

Now I went on to program the immobiliser chip so the key would actually start the engine. From the "System Selection Menu" I chose "Immobiliser"

and shortly the "Immobiliser Live" tab appeared. From there I clicked
on "Utility" and "Key Registration":

Another wizard popped up and asked me to turn the ignition off, then back on and click next. Then it asked me to turn it back off, remove the master key, insert the new key (but don't turn it!) and click next. At this point the "Security" light started flashing, as a timer on the screen counted down from about 90 seconds while the ECU learned the new key code. Once the counter got down to zero, it said "Programming Complete" and showed a "Next" and "Exit" button as before. I then tested the key, started the engine, locked/unlocked the doors and it all worked perfectly!

So how many keys can you program into the RAV4? You can have 5 master keys (with remote locking) and 3 sub keys (valet keys) at the same time. You cannot do the immobiliser programming with a sub key, you must have
a master in the ignition.

The whole procedure is so simple, it took much longer to type this up than to program the key. If your RAV only came with one key, or you lost one, a new uncut remote key can be bought from Ebay for around $40. Get it cut by any locksmith and program it, and you're good to go. Or if you're cheap like me, you can get a flip key for $11.88 and a used key for $9.49, put the parts together for less than 22 bucks! Add the $30 Techstream software and cable and you're only out a little over 50 bucks which is probably what the dealer charges for a half hour of labor!

See less See more
#4 ·
You mean "sticky" right?

Sent from my HTC ONE X

#7 ·
I'm sure it will. Over on PriusChat, they say that a used Smart Key is married to the car it was initially programmed to, and that it can't be reused on a different car. I don't know if that applies to the RAV4 Limited.

#8 · (Edited)
Here's an interesting tidbit I found out about the immobiliser. When I got the used key from Ebay, I went ahead and programmed the buttons to lock/unlock the doors. Then I programmed the immobiliser chip into the system. At this point, the key would unlock the doors with the button, and when inserted into the ignition, the Security LED would stop flashing. Of course, since the metal key blade was cut for a different car, it wouldn't turn in the ignition. So, I took a plain metal key I had cut and inserted it into the ignition, and held the head of the Ebay key near the ignition switch. The Security LED stopped flashing and I could start the engine with the plain key. I threw the Ebay key on the passenger seat and the engine continued to run. Then I turned off the engine and immediately re-started it. It ran for about 4-5 seconds, then shut down and the Security LED began flashing! So you can start and run the engine with just momentary access to the immobiliser chip until you shut the engine off.

#10 ·
It sounds and looks too complicated and time-consuming for me. I have enough trouble with my desktop programs as it is without adding my RAV4 to the loop. Our local ACE Hardware store can make duplicate keys for $35, or so they say.

Reactions: sparky52
#12 ·
#14 · (Edited)
#16 ·
Uh...no, the immobilizer chip needs to be as close to the ignition switch as possible. The antenna in the key switch has a very limited range. Carefully peel the sticker off and put the chip where it belongs.

#19 ·
Yeah, when it's something as important as MY CAR, I prefer to get the key made by a real locksmith who knows what he's doing, not some Home Depot flunkie, even if it costs me an extra buck.

#25 ·
Any Techstream user in Vancouver BC

Hi All,

I hope I am not hijacking a thread with this favor.

I have been reading a lot in this forum and got tons of information which helped me decide to get a RAV4 to replace my CRV which my older son has taken ownership.

Like what I did with my CRV, I replace on of my keys with the flip type. But I did it when the casing of the original key I got from Honda (all-in-one) got broken.

Anyways, my inquiry is...

Is there anyone from Vancouver, BC that uses this Techstream software and cable? I would like to program the flip key I got for my RAV4 but dealer said it is $75 plus tax. I wonder if any fellow RAV4 owner here in Vancouver and has the Techstream would be willing to help. I just don't feel like buying the Techsteam as I may only used it once. Also, I only got Win7 in my laptop.

Thanks for the response.

#26 ·
Decided to buy the Techstream

After waiting for reply if anyone here is from Vancouver, BC...I decided to buy the Techstream USB device.

Received it today and read the instructions on how to use it. I installed it first on my wife's notebook (thinking it has Win7 32 bit) but it has the 64 bit.

So went back to the house and retrieved my old notebook I am using for radio programs...installed the TIS and the device driver.

Went out to the RAV4...run the TIS and plugged the device. Followed the instructions I got from here. I was able to program the flip key I got from ebay and the old used key (same FCC ID with mine). I did not have to get the remote and chip from any of my original keys.

Thanks a lot to this forum!

#28 ·
FCC-ID: HYQ12BBY is the old generation rfid/immobilizer system (toyota's before 2010). The new system is HYQ12BDC, and there is a "G" stamped into the metal blade. I've called a half dozen lock smiths, and none of them can program this 2010-2013 toyota key.

Safe to assume the techstream cable cannot either?

--edfardos

#29 ·
FCC-ID: HYQ12BBY is the old generation rfid/immobilizer system (toyota's before 2010). The new system is HYQ12BDC, and there is a "G" stamped into the metal blade. I've called a half dozen lock smiths, and none of them can program this 2010-2013 toyota key.

Safe to assume the techstream cable cannot either?
Techstream can program either one with no problems.

One clarification, though. The FCC ID code refers to the remote entry transmitter ONLY. It has nothing to do with the immobilizer system. I have a key that has the newer HYQ12BDC transmitter but has the older immobilizer chip with the DOT on the key, not a G. They are two separate systems.

#33 ·
Yes, with the Techstream Cable

Yes, with the Techstream Cable from ebay.

I bought the flip key similar to Junebug and a used key for 2012 with the same "G" stamp as my 2012. I took the remote and the chip from this old/used key, put them in my flip key. I followed how Junebug did his programming step-by-step.

Junebug is correct in his statement that the "G" stands for the new set of chip inside the key. All RAV4 could program up to 5 sets of keys. I got my number 4 as here in Canada, the dealer gives 2 master keys and 1 valet key.

#34 ·
Great - cable ordered - thanks for the hints everyone! Great thread. I'm about to pay a locksmith 75$ to program my second key in any event. The last guy was 50$, but he failed to program the second key.

I'll see if I can use this cable to possible program a third key, and above all, disable the seatbelt warning chime. That's worth the cost of the cable right there.

2013 Newest V8 10 021 Mini VCI V7 for Toyota Cable Software Tis Techstream | eBay

thanks again,
edfardos

#35 ·
And it works! Registered an 18-dollar ebay key (one without lock buttons, but with "G" rfid chip), and the security light goes out when you insert it now.

Also, nobody I know actually uses Windows anymore, so I'd like to add that this worked perfectly on Linux using VMWare with a 32-bit WindowsXP guest.

thanks again,
-edfardos

#36 ·
Good deal! I just got the blank that I programmed with the Techstream software cut at a locksmith today for $2. Don't you love it when things work out right?

#37 ·
I added a prox that I purchased on eBay, using the Techstream.

It was quite simple, hold a current prox to the start switch and get a 'beep', then hold the new prox to the switch and get a 'beep'. Put it down on the passenger seat and you're done.

Hardest thing was that the two proxes couldn't be in the car at the same time, and you have to do this in 30 seconds.

Now I have to get the emergency key cut, and I'm done.

#38 · (Edited)
not registering?

Has anyone been able to successfully register a key AFTER the guts have been taken out of an OEM unregistered key and put into this flip key? I have tried and tried using Techstream Lite, and the key registration fails every time. I get the message to insert the master key, and then after turning the ignition on and off a few times, and inserting the key I want registered without turning on the ignition, it counts down from about 75 to about 71 then errors out saying the key won't communicate with the ECU. This bladeless fob has never been registered, and the story behind this is lengthy. When I bought the RAV4 used, it only came with one key. That dealer wanted to charge me an arm and a leg for a key, so I just took the RAV4 home, called my buddy at the Toyota dealer we buy our parts from, gave him the VIN, and he cut a new key for $20.00. That key did not turn in the ignition due to a miscut, so the next day he sent another key that did turn in the ignition. He told me to toss the first key in the trash, which I did not do, knowing it was still useful. I cut the blade off, since it would not turn in the ignition, with the intent to keep this fob in the house in case my wife locked her keys in the car (which she has done). I took this bladeless fob and the new key that did turn in the ignition to the dealer that sold me the RAV4, and after much haggling with the salesman who sold me the RAV4, they programmed the new key and the bladeless FOB for $50.00 I've been using this key since with no problems. The bladeless fob has been in the closet since then. It will lock and unlock the doors, and sound the panic alarm, which is all I needed it to do.

Fast forward to about 3 months ago when I discovered the Techstream Lite cable on ebay. I loaded it onto my old Dell laptop running Vista 32bit.
I have successfully changed a few settings on my 09 Avalon, so the cable works. On the RAV4, when I do a health check, the immobilizer is white.

I took the guts out of this bladeless fob and put it in the new flip key. It will lock, unlock and sound the panic alarm as before (of course), but it will not start the RAV4 since the guy at the dealer did not program the immobilizer to register the key, only the remote functions.

Now, I get this key registration error. Tonight I swapped the guts from the known good key into the flip key, and the guts from the bladeless key into to the OEM Toyota key and tomorrow I will attempt the procedure again, trying to register the guts from the bladeless key that is now in the OEM Toyota key. I do have another working key in case this gets hosed even more.

Has anyone successfully registered a key that was not known to the ECU, AFTER putting the guts into a flip key? I'm trying to narrow down what I am doing wrong, if anything.

Most everything I read has been about programming an OEM key, or taking the guts from a registered key, and putting them into the flip key.

Thanks, and sorry for being so wordy.

EDIT

I swapped the guts from a working key into the flip key, and the RAV4 will not start and the theft light is flashing. I put these guts back into the factory key, it starts and the theft light is out. What gives? Is the flip key making the signal weaker?

Thanks

#39 ·
You say you swapped the guts, but what about the immobilizer chip? That's a separate part which is glued in the key housing, and has nothing to do with the remote module.

#40 · (Edited)
aha! I did not know that dissection time again

Thank you

I got the immobilize chip out of the donor key, and transplanted it into the flip key. Everything works as it should.

This forum is great!

#41 ·
Lost communication?

I bought the Mangoose cable from a seller on eBay, and bought a spare just in case.

I successfully registered a key on my wife's 2010 RAV4, but when I try to register a key on my 09 Avalon, it fails.

I am at the screen where it tells me to remove the key from the ignition, reinsert the key and turn the ignition on. I do this and wait about 5 seconds then press NEXT and after about 10-20 seconds I get a message that communication was lost. This is before I am even asked to insert a key to be registered so a good key is in the ignition.

Software version 7.31.003 and 8.10.021 both give this error. I have two cables and both cables give the same error. Just for grins, I went back to my wife's RAV4 and was able to get past this screen and then it asked me to insert an unregistered key and not to turn the ignition on. I know it works on the RAV4 but why doesn't it work on my Avalon?

There is nothing shrouding the key, and the key IS recognized because it does turn off the security light and start the car. No add-ons, the Avalon is bone stock. The key is a factory Toyota key. No other keys are near the ignition (I have them laying on the ground outside the vehicle) The immobilizer data list for the Avalon looks identical to the RAV4. Any ideas?

Thanks

#42 ·
I successfully registered a key on my wife's 2010 RAV4, but when I try to register a key on my 09 Avalon, it fails.

I am at the screen where it tells me to remove the key from the ignition, reinsert the key and turn the ignition on. I do this and wait about 5 seconds then press NEXT and after about 10-20 seconds I get a message that communication was lost. This is before I am even asked to insert a key to be registered so a good key is in the ignition.

Software version 7.31.003 and 8.10.021 both give this error.
I think they changed the immobilizer chip to a higher encryption in 2010. Compare the original key blades on the RAV4 and Avalon. Is there a dot or a G on the blade? The dot is the older chip and the G is the newer chip.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.