Need info on snow tires - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.3 General Discuss anything RAV4.3 related that doesn't fit in the categories below.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 12-01-2012, 10:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
Need info on snow tires

Newbie here, great site,Ii have a 2010 rav v6 sport w appearance package Looking for snow tires. I would appreciate any info on what owners are using I drive a lot in upstate NY. I have run flat tires. Im i crazy to think about buying non run flat snows?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 12-01-2012, 11:57 AM

I have experienced with the Micheline Xice Xi2 on my other car and it handles acceleration and braking very well , just remember snow tires wont help when you turn around the bend to fast... Laws of phyiscs wins.

The best thing about this Xice is very quiet ride and does not wear very fast. I am still using the same winter tires after 4 years or 3 winters had gone by and still treads are 95% new. =). It handles very well like an all season tires .

Currently the Xice Xi2 was replaced by the new Xice Xi3 and I bet this current model is much better! Both basically have low rolling resistance which means less drag , better fuel mileage. I highly recommend the Xice.

If you want a more aggressive tread bites, Nokian tires specially the hakkas are great! I would say better than the Xice , but it might not be as quieter than the Xice or treadwear might notmbe as good as the Michelin. Also, the cost is more...

A8-RAVY8
#3 (permalink) Old 12-02-2012, 12:07 AM

Does anyone even make run flat snow tires? I haven't heard of such a thing.

Are you getting a second set of rims? If so, I would recommend going down to 16" to keep costs lower. 225/70/16 is the tire size I have on my Limited. Take a look at the General Altimax Arctics. Take a look at the reviews and videos on Tire Rack.
#4 (permalink) Old 12-02-2012, 11:18 AM

I'm too afraid to look up the price . . . but if you must :

Bridgestone*Blizzak LM-25 4X4 RFT

2010 RAV4 V6 Sport 4WD SAP
#5 (permalink) Old 12-02-2012, 05:16 PM
Advanced Member

Another big fan of the Altimax Arctic. In deep snow conditions, I can take off at nearly full throttle and with just a hair of wheelspin, can get a quick launch to 30 MPH before other cars are even barely moving. Cornering and braking traction is equally good. The only area it suffers is on glare ice, when tires like the Blizzak and X-Ice would do much better. However, the Altimax Arctic does a lot better when it's just wet - it doesn't have the mushy steering response and has handling levels nearly equal to all-season tires without chunking the tread.

2010 Rav4 AWD V6 - Wife's
2007 Civic LX - Daughter's
1996 BMW 328i - Son's
1995 Miata - Daily Driver
2011 Corvette - Unintentional garage queen

#6 (permalink) Old 12-02-2012, 06:25 PM
avs
Advanced Member

I would stay away from run flat tires and get either a dunut spare from a cr-v or one of those flat fix plug w/ an air compressor.
#7 (permalink) Old 12-02-2012, 06:40 PM

I have had excellent luck with the Nokian Haakapelietas (spelling?) and in the past had excellent experience with Vredesteins and Gislavid winter tires--both made in northern Europe where snow and ice are heavy and extended, so I figure they know something about it. The reviews at Tirerack for the General Artic Alpines are very good, and there is an interesting test video there as well; they offer the advantage of being studdable should you wish to do that (helps on ice but has disadvantages otherwise).
#8 (permalink) Old 12-02-2012, 11:01 PM

Spark
Welcome. I'm pretty new too and also have a Rav( well, ours is 2009), Sport with SAP.

Here's what I'm doing. I got a set of OEM takeoff wheels from a Rav4 Limited, 17", and am currently shopping on Craigslist for 225/65 R17. I was going for new Nokian Hakkapelliita 'R'...I liked the low rolling resistance and was also looking at Gislaved but the price was getting a bit rich for me. I came down to earth and decided that Consumer Reports third choice, the General Arctic Altimax would do fine. I ordered a set locally, $675 m&b, but am desperately trying for a last -minute Craigslist deal for some almost new tires. I just missed a couple of deals so I still have a glimmer of hope.

Anyway, double check that 16" wheels will actually fit and not hit the brake calipers. Btw, when you change from stock wheel/ tires to something else, you want to make sure the outside wheel diameter of the new tire is within 3% of the stock. Good luck.

PS, yeah, the Blizzaks are available as RF. Prob not worth it... thing with rfs is that you are still going to f them up if you drive any distance... they are no miracle product... and that stiff sidewall makes for a stiff ride.

2009 RAV4 Sport 4WD V6 SAP
#9 (permalink) Old 12-20-2012, 07:59 PM

I just got the Michelin X-ice Xi3s from Tire Rack ($177 a piece for 225/60/18s plus about $75 shipping to Colorado) for my '12 V6 Sport. First light snowstorm with the Bridgestone run-flats made me want to do some serious research on snow tires! Had many sets of Blizzaks on different cars in the past, and barely got more than two winter seasons (maybe my driving style?) Anyway, read great reviews about the Xi3, ordered them and got them in four days (installed at Firestone), and just drove through the first measurable snowfall in Denver...tires are awesome! Great handling on dry roads, too. Hope to get 4 or 5 seasons from these, since they are one of the few snow tires with a treadwear warranty (40,000 miles!). Good luck!
#10 (permalink) Old 12-20-2012, 09:10 PM
Advanced Member

Ouch! I got an entire set of wheels, from TireRack, with Altimax Arctic on alloys for less than you paid for your tires only!

2010 Rav4 AWD V6 - Wife's
2007 Civic LX - Daughter's
1996 BMW 328i - Son's
1995 Miata - Daily Driver
2011 Corvette - Unintentional garage queen

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page