Break in tips? - Page 2 - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.3 General Discuss anything RAV4.3 related that doesn't fit in the categories below.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#11 (permalink) Old 12-12-2012, 08:01 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_cl View Post
Does anyone know the rationale behind this? I'm not disputing the fact that Toyota recommends it, but is there an engineering explanation?
Do other car manufacturers recommend the same treatment?
Just askin'
Thats also mentioned in this article:

Quote:
For the first thousand miles, avoid constant speeds and throttle settings.
How to Break In a New Car - MSN Autos

Figured I'd share that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#12 (permalink) Old 12-12-2012, 10:05 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
RUN THE HORSES!!!
I don't believe it's possible to damage a Japanese engine.

What's amazing to me is I can take a brand new Honda, Suzuki, Kawasaki or Yamaha sport bike, put it on my dyno, start in 2nd gear, snap full throttle, bang the rev limiter (at 12,000 to 16,000 rpm ) in every gear with no-clutch shifts from 40 to 190 mph, and both the bike and the owner love it. And the best thing - they pay me to do it!

Okay, seriously about my only concern with a new RAV4 wouldn't be the engine unless you over-revved it by downshifting it, would be the transmission. Beating on it too bad could do damage but most drivers unless they get into drag racing, offroading or towing, can't come close to shortening it's life.

About the only thing I'd do different than Toyota recommends is an extra oil change at maybe 1,000 miles.

Fred
2001 F-250 4X4 Diesel - truck camper, TS chip, 20' bike/trike dyno trailer
2004 Suzuki DRZ-400S Dual Sport

It's the pedal (or the handgrip) on the right!!
#13 (permalink) Old 12-12-2012, 10:44 AM

Yeah thats another thing that I keep hearing mixed opinions about is the first initial oil change.

Some people saying to keep it for the first 5,000 miles because its got "special" additives in it for X and X reason.

Then some people saying to change it frequently to remove metal shavings.

Would like to hear more opinion and a rationale behind it. Also is it true to stick with non synthetic on the first oil change then its ok to go synthetic afterwards or does it not matter?
#14 (permalink) Old 12-12-2012, 11:44 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I've never heard the special additives one.

The author in your linked article says change after 20 miles. I might do that on an engine I'd just had apart and rebuilt but see no reason for it on a new engine.
I do agree with his take on syn/non oil .
The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Dyno For This Useful Post:
Chris (12-12-2012)
#15 (permalink) Old 12-12-2012, 01:41 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Honda is the maker that uses a specific break in oil and warns against changing it early. Toyota does not have such an oil or procedure.

Old Bird......sometimes wise
2008 Base V-6 front wheel drive
2008 Limited V-6 front wheel drive
Both with Tow Prep Package
#16 (permalink) Old 12-12-2012, 02:08 PM
Advanced Member

Yes, Honda is the one who started this several years ago, at the time they started using 5w-20 oil. It was disproven as fact by owners who did used oil analyses on the "break-in" oil only to discover that it was regular oil with just higher levels of high pressure wear lubricants, like might be used in an engine during assembly. Also, the fact that you **COULD NOT** buy any break-in oil from Honda no matter what, pretty much sealed the deal.

There was an official EPA document, coincidentally from that time, that states that a manufacturer could claim something like a 0.5 MPG benefit against CAFE by using 5w-20 oil as factory fill and then getting the owners to continue using it. It all had the feel of an attempt at coercing owners to not drain and fill with a different weight oil so they could meet the conditions of the document.

As far as using regular oil to break in a vehicle, the vast majority of makers of high performance cars, like Ferrari, Mercedes, Porsche, Lamborghini, etc., all use a full synthetic as factory fill. These manufacturers would all suffer huge hits to their reputation should they have engine failures or poor engine performance if using synthetic on a new engine were not optimal. They don't, because modern manufacturing methods, materials, and tolerances don't require a break-in like engines from 30-40 years ago.

2010 Rav4 AWD V6 - Wife's
2007 Civic LX - Daughter's
1996 BMW 328i - Son's
1995 Miata - Daily Driver
2011 Corvette - Unintentional garage queen

The Following User Says Thank You to rav4two For This Useful Post:
Chris (12-12-2012)
#17 (permalink) Old 12-12-2012, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Dyno View Post
RUN THE HORSES!!!
I don't believe it's possible to damage a Japanese engine.
My mechanic friend told me similar advice re Japanese engines. Drive the car normally and punch it on occasion. He also said the Japanese engines are essentially already broken in.

I would be more worried abusing the trans as well.
The Following User Says Thank You to cutthroat22 For This Useful Post:
Chris (12-12-2012)
#18 (permalink) Old 12-12-2012, 08:41 PM

(Thread Starter)
Guys,

Thanks very much for all the replies, specific tips, and links to break-in articles. We receive the Rav4 tomorrow, very happy with the new vehicle and looking forward to the break-in.

I am especially glad you shared "Don't drive long trip right out of the box", because we have a 1,200 mile drive ahead. I think I will just take it out for a series of local road trips for a few days, try to rack up 500+ miles on local roads.

Again, I look forward to participating in this forum. Thanks for your warm reception!

BD
#19 (permalink) Old 12-13-2012, 03:18 AM
Advanced Member

We took a 2 1/2 week old Honda Odyssey on a 1500 mile trip into the mountains when we first got it. It was loaded down with four people, a couple of hundred pounds of luggage, and a hitch-mounted bike rack with four bikes. We put a few hundred miles on it, changed to synthetic oil, and let it rip. We went from a Toyota Previa with 138 HP to the Odyssey with 240 HP, and we used every last horsepower multiple times as we passed slow moving trucks and RV's on the mountain climbs.

We sold the Odyssey at 120k miles with it never having burned a drop of oil and the engine performing as if it were new.

The break-in is not for the engine, which is already broken in by the time you get the car. There will be some wearing in of gears in your drivetrain, and the brakes could use some hard use to get them bedded properly, but otherwise you can just drive it normally.

2010 Rav4 AWD V6 - Wife's
2007 Civic LX - Daughter's
1996 BMW 328i - Son's
1995 Miata - Daily Driver
2011 Corvette - Unintentional garage queen

#20 (permalink) Old 12-13-2012, 06:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billder99 View Post
Guys,

Thanks very much for all the replies, specific tips, and links to break-in articles. We receive the Rav4 tomorrow, very happy with the new vehicle and looking forward to the break-in.

I am especially glad you shared "Don't drive long trip right out of the box", because we have a 1,200 mile drive ahead. I think I will just take it out for a series of local road trips for a few days, try to rack up 500+ miles on local roads.

Again, I look forward to participating in this forum. Thanks for your warm reception!

BD
Don't worry about the 1200 mile trip. Just don't put the cruise on and let it sit at 65. Vary the speed a bit is all you have to do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page