Dealer service - automatic transmision oil flush - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.3 General Discuss anything RAV4.3 related that doesn't fit in the categories below.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 12-13-2012, 04:16 AM
sdl

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
Dealer service - automatic transmision oil flush

Hey Everyone

I took my RAV in today for a 60 000 km service. They said the automatic transmission needs a flush and fluid replacement. Fair enough. $370 AUD later just for the oil change flush/change. I get home and the plastic under engine protector has been cable tied back into place. None of those press in plastic fittings. The whole thing is loose.

My feeling is I can probably do a better service than these Toyota dealers can. I take my time and don't rush the job.

Just not too sure I know how to do everything, like the transmission fluid change. They say they use a machine to do it automatically. I am guessing this can be done manually and replaced with the correct OEM fluid.

Is anyone else fed-up with dealer servicing and if so has anyone just decided to do things themselves?

THing is my warranty is till 100 000 km, which is a while yet.

So far they have replaced the water pump gasket, valve cover gasket and done a service recall on the back suspension. I guess they will tell me to walk if I service it myself...

Cheers,
S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 12-13-2012, 04:51 AM

I havent looked underneath the Rav4 yet but isnt Toyotas just drain and fill? I think domestics are the ones where you remove the pan (12+ bolts) and clean the pan and replace the gasket. Hopefully someone can clarify.
#3 (permalink) Old 12-13-2012, 08:32 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
It appears to depend on the dealer. Mine does not even offer drain & fill or filter replacement. They exchange the fluid with a machine and that's it!

As far as using zip ties to hold that bottom piece on.....that may be a good thing. Although mine had the correct fasteners they constantly popped out and were replaced to no avail. I asked them to just zip tie the whole thing. Problem solved.

Old Bird......sometimes wise
2008 Base V-6 front wheel drive
2008 Limited V-6 front wheel drive
Both with Tow Prep Package
#4 (permalink) Old 12-13-2012, 10:05 AM
Your Humble Administrator

Thanked 1,069 Times in 776 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdl View Post
Hey Everyone

I took my RAV in today for a 60 000 km service. They said the automatic transmission needs a flush and fluid replacement. Fair enough. $370 AUD later just for the oil change flush/change. I get home and the plastic under engine protector has been cable tied back into place. None of those press in plastic fittings. The whole thing is loose.
That's way too early for a transmission service unless you are doing some heavy towing. Look at the fluid on the dipstick. If it's nice and red and doesn't smell burnt, leave it alone. I'm going to have mine done at 50,000 miles (80,000 km). Stay away from the flush machines, have a proper service done by dropping the pan, replacing the filter, drain and fill. With these flush machines they never touch the filter, which is stupid. And if the dealership left your plastic undercovers like that, take it back and make them fix it properly.

Quote:
My feeling is I can probably do a better service than these Toyota dealers can. I take my time and don't rush the job.

Just not too sure I know how to do everything, like the transmission fluid change. They say they use a machine to do it automatically. I am guessing this can be done manually and replaced with the correct OEM fluid.
Yes, you can do it yourself, there are several threads on here with pictures showing how it's done. Like I said, stay away from the flush machines. All they do is flush your wallet.

James

2008 Limited V6 2WD "The Silver Bullet"

#5 (permalink) Old 12-13-2012, 11:32 AM
Advanced Member

There is a significant difference between the flush machines and drain and fill servicing. The flush machines can replace all of the fluid, both in the transmission and the torque converter. The TC holds as much or more fluid than the transmission does in most cases. A drain and fill only changes about half the fluid. Of course it eventually gets mixed with the TC fluid as you drive. Changing some of the fluid is better than none.

Curious about why one should stay away from the flush machines, other than for cost reasons?

On the Toyota's I've serviced changing the filter turned out to be a waste of time because they were just relatively course wire screens and always appeared pretty clean, even after 50K miles. I've had other cars with a paper element transmission filter and I can see changing those as they tend to catch a lot more grit and actually look dirty when they come out.

WJBertrand
2011 Rav4
#6 (permalink) Old 12-13-2012, 11:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuneBug View Post
All they do is flush your wallet.
LOL, I think you're describing the dealer, not just the flushing machine

2010 RAV4 V6 Sport 4WD SAP
#7 (permalink) Old 12-13-2012, 12:19 PM

Garage
so i get how to flush and drain the system manually. but how do I add the new fluid via the dipstick hole?
#8 (permalink) Old 12-13-2012, 12:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepepeter View Post
so i get how to flush and drain the system manually. but how do I add the new fluid via the dipstick hole?
Use a transmission funnel.

I think you are considering drain-and-fill. There is more than one way to flush. was just told at the dealer you have to heat transmision fluid when changing

We have yet to see anybody report that their transmission filter was clogged or filled in their RAV4.

2009 V6 4wd Base
#9 (permalink) Old 12-13-2012, 04:56 PM

Garage
thanks carbon, interesting funnel. so i wonder if the frat guys at univ of tennesse used something similar for their butt chugging parties..
#10 (permalink) Old 12-14-2012, 12:22 AM
Your Humble Administrator

Thanked 1,069 Times in 776 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJBertrand View Post
There is a significant difference between the flush machines and drain and fill servicing. The flush machines can replace all of the fluid, both in the transmission and the torque converter. The TC holds as much or more fluid than the transmission does in most cases. A drain and fill only changes about half the fluid. Of course it eventually gets mixed with the TC fluid as you drive. Changing some of the fluid is better than none.

Curious about why one should stay away from the flush machines, other than for cost reasons?
Read here: Should I have my transmission flushed?

Quote:
On the Toyota's I've serviced changing the filter turned out to be a waste of time because they were just relatively course wire screens and always appeared pretty clean, even after 50K miles. I've had other cars with a paper element transmission filter and I can see changing those as they tend to catch a lot more grit and actually look dirty when they come out.
Here are the pictures of RAV4Don's V6 tranny filters, new compared to 51K miles:

As you can see it is not a simple screen. A flush machine would pump gallons of unknown "universal" fluid through that filter clogging it up with who knows what. Do you really think they would use that expensive WS fluid with their machine?

James

2008 Limited V6 2WD "The Silver Bullet"

The Following User Says Thank You to JuneBug For This Useful Post:
Chris (12-14-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page