Remaining V6 Sports - Page 2 - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.3 General Discuss anything RAV4.3 related that doesn't fit in the categories below.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#11 (permalink) Old 12-13-2012, 06:18 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Custom leather means what? The dealer had an aftermarket leather package installed as in Katzkin? Congrats on jumpin' on the last of the V-6 models.....I approve. One of the few colors I've seen where window visors actually compliment the car's overall look and they are practical. Well done!

Old Bird......sometimes wise
2008 Base V-6 front wheel drive
2008 Limited V-6 front wheel drive
Both with Tow Prep Package
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#12 (permalink) Old 12-13-2012, 06:21 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by djb383 View Post
I read an article a while back that recommended 2 locking lug nuts on each wheel be used and placed opposite of each other. With 1 locking lug nut, all of the others can be removed and enough leverage applied opposite the locking lug nut to just snap the 1 locked lug bolt off, then the wheel/tire is gone. 2 locking lug nuts, placed opposite of each other, reduces the amount of leverage that can be applied in an attempt to snap lug bolts.
Interesting, I have never heard of that but it makes great sense.......assuming they all use the same adapter to remove them when needed. Trying to fiddle with different wheel lock keys in the dark, in the rain, on a secondary road or highway in order to change a flat would be a real problem. If I had to find multiple keys to change a flat under such conditions both humans and small animals would be in jeopardy.

Old Bird......sometimes wise
2008 Base V-6 front wheel drive
2008 Limited V-6 front wheel drive
Both with Tow Prep Package
#13 (permalink) Old 12-13-2012, 06:46 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTexasF View Post
Interesting, I have never heard of that but it makes great sense.......assuming they all use the same adapter to remove them when needed. Trying to fiddle with different wheel lock keys in the dark, in the rain, on a secondary road or highway in order to change a flat would be a real problem. If I had to find multiple keys to change a flat under such conditions both humans and small animals would be in jeopardy.
Sounded like a good idea until you thought of the two different wheel lock keys. Deal breaker.
#14 (permalink) Old 12-13-2012, 06:47 PM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTexasF View Post
Custom leather means what? The dealer had an aftermarket leather package installed as in Katzkin? Congrats on jumpin' on the last of the V-6 models.....I approve. One of the few colors I've seen where window visors actually compliment the car's overall look and they are practical. Well done!
Right. I wanted leather but they didn't have anything with premium package available. It's aftermarket from this local leather place.
#15 (permalink) Old 12-13-2012, 07:16 PM

I just bought a V6 Base with a few upgrades including the OEM hitch installation. Ordered a "compression" bumper hitch unit (superbumper 18" black) to protect against rear end low speed damage .. as well as to tow. Upgraded aluminum wheels. Looks great. Wanted blue but ended up with Pyrite Mica as it was the only V6 in the neighborhood with a tow prep package.
#16 (permalink) Old 12-13-2012, 08:39 PM
avs
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doane2u View Post
I disagree, anything that will either make a theft less desirable, slow it down, or stop it for most crooks is worth the small price of about $30. .. do you not lock your doors too?
Have you heard of nut remover? Craftsman 10 pc. Impact Grade Bolt-Out™ Damaged Bolt/Nut Remover - Tools - Hand Tools - Tap & Dies & Sets Ain't nothing slowing down a thief with nut remover.
#17 (permalink) Old 12-13-2012, 10:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avs View Post
Have you heard of nut remover? Craftsman 10 pc. Impact Grade Bolt-Out™ Damaged Bolt/Nut Remover - Tools - Hand Tools - Tap & Dies & Sets Ain't nothing slowing down a thief with nut remover.
The point is, not all thieves go around carrying special tools, like special nut removers, door lock bars, etc., etc. Most thefts are made when someone sees an easy opportunity that is tempting, like unlocked doors, a car with the keys in the ignition, unlocked wheels, etc.
So, for $30, I've got less chances of being robbed than you do not spending $30, nuf said.

2010 Toyota RAV4 V6 AWD Sport-Sport, Magnetic Grey/Charcoal, Extra Value Pkg, Sport Appearance Pkg, Tow Pkg, BlueLogic hands free
#18 (permalink) Old 12-13-2012, 10:13 PM

I now have 3 lock nuts on my 18" alloy spare as a would be thief would not even have to jack up the vehicle to steal it! I left the OEM factory lock nut in place and replaced the two regular nuts with two lock nuts that are different from the OEM one i.e. need a different key; I had them from a previous vehicle and they were just gathering dust in my garage...

Those 18" wheels are awesome and for sure if I was not parking overnight in my garage, I would have at least two lock nuts per wheels and may be even 5 all with different keys! Next to my dealer is a GM dealer and one morning this week I saw a Chevy Traverse parked near the street on their well lit lot jacked up on cement blocks with the 4 wheels gone...Scary! And the police is patrolling regularly; the thief (or thieves) must have been really quick on the trigger and probably waited for the police car to drive away knowing it will not come back for another hour or so.

2012 Sport V6 Classic Silver no option
1999 Lexus RX300 Pearl White base gone
1972 Corolla 1200 Yellow 4 speed manual long gone
Others too many to mention!
#19 (permalink) Old 12-14-2012, 10:40 AM
Advanced Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by avs View Post
Hacking many of the locking lugs does not require such a tool. There are faster, quieter and more mobile methods. Look to the old Bic Pen trick to open Kryponite bike locks for one example.
#20 (permalink) Old 12-24-2012, 03:37 PM
Advanced Member

The only time I have ever had wheels stolen, they used my own jack and lug nut key. So not much point in having them if you don't have a way to hide the key(s).

It takes me all of 10 seconds to hammer on an undersized socket and take off one of those nuts anyway. People can never remember where they put them when they get a flat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page