Remaining V6 Sports - Page 3 - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.3 General Discuss anything RAV4.3 related that doesn't fit in the categories below.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#21 (permalink) Old 12-24-2012, 06:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
You can't prevent all the cars from being stolen or just the wheels & tires but the idea is to discourage a vast majority of thieves that would go for the easy prey. My wheel lock keys are stored in a different place than the factory location ands so are the tools to remove the nuts and jack up the vehicle, but I'm not telling where...!

2012 Sport V6 Classic Silver no option
1999 Lexus RX300 Pearl White base gone
1972 Corolla 1200 Yellow 4 speed manual long gone
Others too many to mention!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#22 (permalink) Old 12-26-2012, 01:16 AM

Ditch the locks.... Most wheel locks arnt even on tight... They are basically just show.... Most oem locks only have 5-10 keys.. Besides when was the last time you heard of someone stealing an oem lock.... The only good think it can be used for is a 5th spare...
#23 (permalink) Old 12-26-2012, 07:35 AM

In Canada, the locks are standard so I'm using them! There is a proper procedure for tightening the locks but I doubt most people know about it because who takes the time to read the instructions that come with them along the registration card that has the proper code? The lock should be the last nut to be tightened and the first to be removed to avoid damaging it; that's why some may be afraid to tighten it as they had a bad experience in the past and could not remove it...Blame it on impact guns and improper tightening sequence.

I personally never had a problem with locks since I had them 15 years ago whenever I was the one who put them on; I cannot say the same when I took the vehicle to the tire shop, dealer or other garage. They are so afraid that the car may lose a wheel that they overtorque the nuts and it makes removal by hand very difficult. I even broke a stud on my wife's Elantra when installing the winter tires; the dealer was the last one who removed and reinstalled the wheels for a free brake inspection a few months before and the car was not very old, no rust on studs or closed end chrome nuts. Removing the front caliper housing and punching out the broken stud went fairly well but I could have done without all this hassle. We drove the car for a few days with only 3 nuts holding the front wheel until the stud arrived and I could replace it!

"If everything else fails, read the instructions" is what we used to say at work when installers complained about our products failing or not doing the job properly. I was in the HVAC (heating, ventilation, air conditioning) control business for 31 years (28 years at Honeywell) but that advice applies to everything, computers, cars, medication, etc!

2012 Sport V6 Classic Silver no option
1999 Lexus RX300 Pearl White base gone
1972 Corolla 1200 Yellow 4 speed manual long gone
Others too many to mention!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page