RAV4 V6 Water Pump - Page 3 - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.3 General Discuss anything RAV4.3 related that doesn't fit in the categories below.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#21 (permalink) Old 12-31-2012, 02:35 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by keeton View Post
Examples of the second? Recalls shouldn't be confused with service campaigns or TSBs.
Suggest that you do an internet search. Also, there is this: Motor Vehicle Defects and Safety Recalls: What Every Vehicle Owner Should Know | Safercar.gov | NHTSA

Jim
2011 Upgraded Base V6 4WD
2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic LT
2002 Craftsman LT1000 V2

Jesus is Lord
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#22 (permalink) Old 12-31-2012, 02:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blogson View Post
About the RAV4 V6 water pump problem, it would be appropriate for Toyota to do what Honda has done, in relation to another situation.
Do you have reason to believe that RAV4 water pumps fail at a higher than average rate?

I am pleased that the water pump is covered under the power train warranty. It is not so on many cars.

2009 V6 4wd Base
#23 (permalink) Old 01-01-2013, 11:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbon View Post
Do you have reason to believe that RAV4 water pumps fail at a higher than average rate?
It's pretty self evident on this blog. Some people went through 3 pumps. I have no doubts that pumps are defective and/or pink coolant makes them fail more.
#24 (permalink) Old 01-01-2013, 11:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keeton View Post
Examples of the second? Recalls shouldn't be confused with service campaigns or TSBs.
Didn't you have the oil line recall in RAV4? It's all about money, if enough catastrophic failures happen under warranty, it could be cheaper to do a recall instead.
#25 (permalink) Old 01-02-2013, 08:12 AM

So if my water pump has not been replaced by now (2008 V6 with 88K miles) should I be ok? I am only asking because I only have 12K miles left on my platimum extended warrenty

Thanks
#26 (permalink) Old 01-02-2013, 12:22 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torwadeo View Post
So if my water pump has not been replaced by now (2008 V6 with 88K miles) should I be ok? I am only asking because I only have 12K miles left on my platimum extended warrenty

Thanks
Man i wish i took pictures for my leaking WP (i4 awd sport 50k miles). I had no signs of leaking on the garage floor, but there were tiny crystals on the black felt panel inside the hood directly above the belts, pulleys. Also, when the pump was removed inside the pulleys was filled with crystals (white but mainly pink colored) and the serpentine belt had white residue all over but of course on the ribbed side so only visible when removed or gently lifted off the alternator pulley. My message you may not find coolant on the floor, but a big sign is white crystals on the black felt panel... If i were you i would take it to dealer and have them inspect it for a leak, primarily the weep hole test (search for tsb on water pump leak diagnosis to become familiar with the design and the test for a leak). If you havent already, take it in for a recall and ask for WP to be inspected,; usually during the recalls the dealer will do a complimentary inspection and wash as a courtesy (ask about the type of wash, you dont want to introduce swirls from a brush or hand towel drying).
#27 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 08:39 AM

Had two water pumps fail with bad bearings on my 2007 Rav4 with V6 engine. First time just under 12000 miles and covered by standard factory warranty cost nothing. This week failed again at 37,361 miles and cost nearly 800 bucks. Beware owners with V6 engine. I'm awaiting response from Toyota as this seems excessive and my Toyota service manager agrees.
#28 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 10:06 AM

Anyone has any water pump issue with 2011 models? Since there is water pump issue with early models, would Toyota recognize the issue and phase out it. Just a suggestion...
#29 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 10:12 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackrav4 View Post
Had two water pumps fail with bad bearings on my 2007 Rav4 with V6 engine. First time just under 12000 miles and covered by standard factory warranty cost nothing. This week failed again at 37,361 miles and cost nearly 800 bucks. Beware owners with V6 engine. I'm awaiting response from Toyota as this seems excessive and my Toyota service manager agrees.
Aside from what I've read from the few on these threads, I never personally met a single 2006-12 V6 owner (and I always talk up RAV owners cuz they're generally female ) that has ever had a water pump issue. My RAV 6 is at 60K miles and sweet as sunshine. Now someone quick, pass a plank of White Plain pine so I can knock on it. LOL.

And if y'all think you got problems?
Chrysler to recall 630,000 SUVs worldwide - Yahoo! Finance

2009 RAV4 Sport V6 AWD Barcelona Red Metallic
Listens to MOTLEY CRUE, Dwight Yoakam, Lynyrd Skynyrd
#30 (permalink) Old 07-22-2013, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnivore View Post
Just curious, what does the dealer charge to do this repair if you're paying out of pocket? And has Toyota redesigned th e pumps being used as replacements at this point?
In California it costs $400. My water pump failed at 26,000 miles. I called Toyota at 1 800 331-4331 and complained but they didn't do anything. If your water pump fails, please notify Toyota because if enough owners complain, they may issue a voluntary recall. Have you VIN handy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page