Which Accessories first ? - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.3 General Discuss anything RAV4.3 related that doesn't fit in the categories below.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 01-01-2013, 08:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
Which Accessories first ?

Hi all from the newbie.

I've decided to purchase a '12 LTD V6 4WD. The only question is from where and how much. So far, a $28000 cash price is leading. Includes rear camera, value prem.+, tow prep and pearl paint. OK or not?

I'm starting to make a wish list on what to add. Here is what I have so far:

1. Floor mats and cargo mat (if not included)
2. Mud flaps
3. Clear bra and paint preserve (done by a known good person)
4. Tint front windows (done by a known good person)
5. Remote Start (dealer installed seems too pricey)
6. Trailer hitch (dealer installed seems too pricey)
7. Horn upgrade (assumed right now, have not heard it yet)
8. HID driving lights, would like HID headlights but are concerned about bright spots blinding. Driving lights can go off.
9. New head unit (Depending on how I get along with the new non-nav unit)
10. Sub-woofer in the rear door.

Opinions, recommendations, what did you add?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 01-01-2013, 08:33 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
All seem realistic to me other than HID's and Sub in rear door. Read up here using search on HID's and a sub in the rear door is absolutely the worst place to put it....shake rattle & roll. Look into self powered subs such as Bazooka or Infinity. They fill the bill unless you want insane bass and are quickly removed when you need the space for cargo.

Old Bird......sometimes wise
2008 Base V-6 front wheel drive
2008 Limited V-6 front wheel drive
Both with Tow Prep Package
#3 (permalink) Old 01-01-2013, 08:34 PM
Advanced Member

1. I would consider floor liners rather than floor mats if you like that kind of thing. They are a little more protective tho they may have a more industrial look. Weathertech is the key name, although some prefer Husky.

5. Regarding the remote start, some including the OEM, will not let the engine keep running as you enter the vehicle. Others will. So check that as a requirement when shopping if that is significant for you.

8. Aftermarket HID and worrying about other drivers does not usually go together.

2009 V6 4wd Base

Last edited by Carbon; 01-02-2013 at 12:02 AM.
#4 (permalink) Old 01-01-2013, 09:23 PM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTexasF View Post
All seem realistic to me other than HID's and Sub in rear door. Read up here using search on HID's and a sub in the rear door is absolutely the worst place to put it....shake rattle & roll. Look into self powered subs such as Bazooka or Infinity. They fill the bill unless you want insane bass and are quickly removed when you need the space for cargo.
Thanks, I'm looking to improve the quality of the sound not create any buzzing or rattles. That just seemed like a convenient place to mount it. I can see where it could be less solid. The audio systems mods may need to be more in depth as a whole. The quality of the stock system did not seem that great on my test drive, but I have to wait until after I live with it for a while to see how much is needed. My rear seats will probably never be put up. So that may create a spot.

I am very aware of the problems created with some HID retrofits due to element placement and reflector design. Which is exactly why I anticipate doing the driving lights first. The reflector design and alignment issues are usually easier solved than doing a full projector lens in the headlamps and still give the increased visibility when needed. Besides, the driving lights can be chosen more selectively when there is no other traffic at night. If the particular design of this light housing is problematic I may just add additional HID lighting and automate when they come on, as I have done on some other vehicles. Anyone ever mount anything behind the grill?
#5 (permalink) Old 01-01-2013, 09:32 PM
DVS
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
At least if you have the Tow Prep package, the OEM hitch from Toyota is MUCH beefier than most aftermarket hitches. Most aftermarkets attach with 4 or 6 bolts, whereas I think the OEM hitch attaches with over 20 bolts (it makes use of special brackets and mounting points the generic aftermarket ones don't).

The OEM hitch also tucks up higher than most aftermarket hitches, too. I think it supports the full tongue weight limit, where some aftermarkets don't as well. I did the research, and chose the OEM hitch. It was almost a no-brainer.

I have the same non-nav Head Unit in my 2012. If it can show you who is calling by name based on the imported contacts list, I haven't figured out how yet. It just shows you the incoming phone number, which I find pretty much useless.

Dialing out is also not friendly. Once you pick a contact, it shows you all their phone numbers, but not which one is home vs. work vs. mobile. At least I haven't found a way to get it to show symbols next to the numbers.

And when you set a speed dial, and go to call by speed dial, you're supposed to magically remember which person and which phone number is on each of the speed dial numbers. All it shows you is 1 - 6.

Basically, the screen shows way too few characters for my liking. It's not terribly user friendly.

However, it's fine for receiving calls, as long as you ask the person who is calling who they are.

It's ok, but could be much, much better.

Silver 2012 RAV4 Limited V6 4WD with Tow Prep and OEM Hitch.

Long live the RAV4 V6!
#6 (permalink) Old 01-01-2013, 09:44 PM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVS View Post
At least if you have the Tow Prep package, the OEM hitch from Toyota is MUCH beefier than most aftermarket hitches. Most aftermarkets attach with 4 or 6 bolts, whereas I think the OEM hitch attaches with over 20 bolts (it makes use of special brackets and mounting points the generic aftermarket ones don't).

The OEM hitch also tucks up higher than most aftermarket hitches, too. I think it supports the full tongue weight limit, where some aftermarkets don't as well. I did the research, and chose the OEM hitch. It was almost a no-brainer.

I have the same non-nav Head Unit in my 2012. If it can show you who is calling by name based on the imported contacts list, I haven't figured out how yet. It just shows you the incoming phone number, which I find pretty much useless.

Dialing out is also not friendly. Once you pick a contact, it shows you all their phone numbers, but not which one is home vs. work vs. mobile. At least I haven't found a way to get it to show symbols next to the numbers.

And when you set a speed dial, and go to call by speed dial, you're supposed to magically remember which person and which phone number is on each of the speed dial numbers. All it shows you is 1 - 6.

Basically, the screen shows way too few characters for my liking. It's not terribly user friendly.

However, it's fine for receiving calls, as long as you ask the person who is calling who they are.

It's ok, but could be much, much better.

Thanks, all good stuff to know. I would sure like to see a picture of the OEM hitch mounted. I agree that the aftermarket ones I have seen so far lack in appearance from hanging down too far.

I have to see how the head unit works. I may try voice announcements on incoming calls and voice dialing as an alternative. Both things I'm assuming can be set up at this point since it is A2DP compatible, maybe not. Upgrading the head unit is something I am prepared to do but would like to be able to hold off if I can. Still the Nav system upgrade is just not worth it to me.
#7 (permalink) Old 01-01-2013, 10:29 PM
DVS
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrede View Post
Thanks, all good stuff to know. I would sure like to see a picture of the OEM hitch mounted. I agree that the aftermarket ones I have seen so far lack in appearance from hanging down too far.

I have to see how the head unit works. I may try voice announcements on incoming calls and voice dialing as an alternative. Both things I'm assuming can be set up at this point since it is A2DP compatible, maybe not. Upgrading the head unit is something I am prepared to do but would like to be able to hold off if I can. Still the Nav system upgrade is just not worth it to me.
Agreed on Toyota's NAV system. My understanding is that it's very slow and I think DVD-based. My dealer told me Toyota has a brand new Nav system that's started to come out that is supposed to be much better, but it's not in most vehicles yet. As I already have a Garmin and an Android phone, I was all set as it is.

I haven't tried voice control yet (not enough hours in the day). Good thought!

I just happened to take a picture of my hitch for my stepbrother, who also just bought a 2012 RAV4 Limited V6 with Tow Prep and he went for the OEM hitch as well.

It's not the greatest picture, but you may get the idea. It's got the cap still on the reciever tube, and is tucked up under there pretty good (it ought to be, it was made for the vehicle):

Long live the RAV4 V6!

Last edited by DVS; 05-08-2013 at 06:29 AM. Reason: Replaced attached picture with linked picture
#8 (permalink) Old 01-01-2013, 10:41 PM

(Thread Starter)
Thanks, That hitch does appear better. I may have to consider it. I don't think it will be a factor with the "main deal".

I've just discovered Toyota's Entune system and am researching what it is/does. There appears to be much more than navigation and the screen. I doubt it will justify the price, but checking. There are a couple of cars in my area available with it and I need to make that decision now. Wish the salespersons were more knowledgeable.
#9 (permalink) Old 01-01-2013, 10:45 PM
DVS
Advanced Member

I should add, the standard/normal 8" length ball mount (pin center to ball center) is a bit short for the RAV4. It works ok, but the ball sticks out only maybe 3" from the bumper, which is a bit close for my liking, as it may be easier to scuff the bumper with the trailer tongue if you're not careful. Maybe even the spare tire cover, too.

Also, you can't see it in the backup camera. I took some measurements, and it appears you'd need at least a 12" long ball mount before you can see it in the backup camera.

I think Curt makes a 12" long ball mount. Most "long" ones are like 18" long, as I didn't see a lot of 12" long ones out there.

I also found it advantageous to mount the ball in the "rise" position, as the more typical "drop" position makes for a pretty low tongue height requirement.

You can also get fancier adjustable ball mounts, which is what my stepbrother did, as seen in this image of his RAV4 (his towing needs are more complex than mine).

His can obviously be seen in the backup camera, too.

Long live the RAV4 V6!

Last edited by DVS; 05-08-2013 at 06:32 AM. Reason: Replaced attached picture with linked picture
#10 (permalink) Old 01-01-2013, 10:48 PM
DVS
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrede View Post
Thanks, That hitch does appear better. I may have to consider it. I don't think it will be a factor with the "main deal".

I've just discovered Toyota's Entune system and am researching what it is/does. There appears to be much more than navigation and the screen. I doubt it will justify the price, but checking. There are a couple of cars in my area available with it and I need to make that decision now. Wish the salespersons were more knowledgeable.
I'm not sure, but I think you have to pay a subscription fee for Entune after 3 years. You might want to specifically ask about that, too.

That was a factor that turned me off to the OEM NAV system, too. (Heh, I was afraid I'd like it too much).

BTW, the Pandora app on my Android streams automatically to the Head Unit, no problem.

Long live the RAV4 V6!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page