50 k km (30 k miles) service: Differential fluid replacement? - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.3 General Discuss anything RAV4.3 related that doesn't fit in the categories below.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 01-02-2013, 05:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
50 k km (30 k miles) service: Differential fluid replacement?

Hi,

My car is about 3.5 years old and has about 50,000 km (30,000) miles on it.

I'm supposed to bring it in for service soon. I phoned the dealership and asked what they were going to do and how much it would be.

They informed that in addition to the oil and air filter change the differential fluids were supposed to be changed: front and rear differential in addition to the brake fluid. Total cost $350.

Is the change of the front and rear dif fluids in addition to the break fluid necessary? I don't tow and looked in the american service manual I found online which says at 30k miles inspect the rear and front differential oil, but didn't mention anything about changing them.

Maybe i misinterpretted the toyota service guy and they're onyl going to inspect the dif. oil (somehow) rather than change it? Why would they be charging me so much then?

Is this a canadian requirement due to the cold?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 01-02-2013, 10:48 PM
Your Humble Administrator

Thanked 1,070 Times in 777 Posts
Garage
There is no front differential fluid--the front differential is part of the transaxle assembly and is lubricated by the transmission fluid. They probably meant the transfer case. Is it necessary to replace at 30,000 miles? It's your call--it's not "required" by Toyota, but is "recommended" by the dealer, that's how they make money. Look at these threads, pepepeter changed his fluids at 47,000 miles and they were pretty nasty looking:

I want to change all fluids.. but how many are there?

rear differential and transfer case gear lube

James

2008 Limited V6 2WD "The Silver Bullet"

#3 (permalink) Old 01-05-2013, 10:00 PM

in 30,000 miles, one important change is the Automatic transmission oil change. I drove for over 31,000miles and my ATF warning lights come on sometimes. So, I advise only change the ATF oil, the rest for the axle won't be that necessary.
#4 (permalink) Old 06-14-2013, 05:45 AM

Check this website from the Canada Toyota

TOYOTA CANADA : Service your Vehicle > Maintenance Menu
#5 (permalink) Old 06-14-2013, 08:15 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Brake fluid flush: $15 fluid, labour 1 hour
Transaxle and Reaf Diff fluid change: $15 fluid, labour 0.75 hours (for a diy home mechanic it might take 1.5 hours if you never did it before)

A busy mechanic would start draining the transaxle and rear diff (it is thick and needs time to drain), do the brake fluid flush and then fill up the transaxle and rear diff , all within 1.25 hours.

Check another local mechanic. You can even buy the 80w-90 (or 75W-90) gear lube and DOT3 brake fluid(to make sure it is fresh) for them and just pay labour.

I would pay at most $225 for this service at a non-dealer location. As you can see, this job is mostly labour.

2008 Base Rav4, 4 Cylinder, 4WD
My upgrades Allen Spare tire Bike Rack
Currently listening to "Queensryche" with new singer Todd La Torre totally rocks "
#6 (permalink) Old 06-14-2013, 09:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanib View Post
Brake fluid flush: $15 fluid, labour 1 hour
Transaxle and Reaf Diff fluid change: $15 fluid, labour 0.75 hours (for a diy home mechanic it might take 1.5 hours if you never did it before)

A busy mechanic would start draining the transaxle and rear diff (it is thick and needs time to drain), do the brake fluid flush and then fill up the transaxle and rear diff , all within 1.25 hours.

Check another local mechanic. You can even buy the 80w-90 (or 75W-90) gear lube and DOT3 brake fluid(to make sure it is fresh) for them and just pay labour.

I would pay at most $225 for this service at a non-dealer location. As you can see, this job is mostly labour.
If OP is getting the air filter & an oil change with the listed fluid changes, then $350 might not sound unreasonable. Fresh fluids are the life blood of the vehicle. Changing them too frequently may do bad things to your wallet, but only if you have no intention of keeping the car for a long time.

Don't forget, the power train warranty covers you up to 100,000 Km. A little good will (relationship) with the dealer goes a long way sometimes if a warranty issue pops up in the future . . . . . even though the Bumper-to-Bumper coverage is now over.

2010 RAV4 V6 Sport 4WD SAP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page