Gas mileage meeting up to expectations? - Page 2 - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.3 General Discuss anything RAV4.3 related that doesn't fit in the categories below.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#11 (permalink) Old 01-07-2013, 08:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
2012 2WD short trips of around 2-4 km on flats 32 psi checked every weekend and averaging 11.7 km/l from sticker stated 10.8 km/l. Don't race but i'm not holding traffic either. also as much as possible coasting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#12 (permalink) Old 01-08-2013, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rav4two View Post
Our 2010 has about 35k miles. My wife's commute is five miles, either uphill or downhill, and crosses probably a dozen or more traffic lights each way. She gets in the low 20's MPG in this commute during rush hour.

We will average between 27-30 MPG at roughly 70MPH on the freeway. Going any faster results in a lot lower fuel economy as the aerodynamics and large frontal area become a problem.

Pretty surprising gas mileage for a relatively powerful V6 and only a 5-speed transmission, and in an SUV form factor.
Our commutes are a bit different but this is pretty much our milage experience exactly.

It is important to note that we are on 245/65-17 all terrains, as well.

"Too many good docs are gettin' outta business. Too many OBGYN's aren't able to practice their... their love with women all across this country."
George W. Bush
#13 (permalink) Old 01-08-2013, 06:24 PM

Don't forget the tires

I have a 2007 Base 4WD and thus I manually calculate each tank. Over the lifespan since new, the fuel numbers have been almost dead on at least to what is specified. My driving is almost 100% city thus ranging from 18-20 mpg. Also, I live in a hilly area and my distances (usually my wife) driven is daily but no more then 6-10 miles per day. On long highway trips, I have hovered from 24-26 mpg.

One thing I will mention is that I changed tires from OEM to Goodyear Fortera Tripletreads and have noticed the gas mileage go down at least 2 mpg. So, our OEM tires seemed to have low resistance or my new ones have high resistance. Never considered that when I purchased new tires. May consider low resistance tires in the future if I continue to drive this car.
#14 (permalink) Old 01-11-2013, 12:21 AM

In town I try to get above 45 mph where possible since that is the shift point for over drive. When I can do that I can get low 30's. In the morning when its cold (below 32) with hills to work 5 min trip about 18 - 19. On the highway going 72 mph 26 - 27 mpg. On the highway going 80 mph 24 - 25 mpg. All mpg are both ways to and from. Air pressure front 35 rear 36 I like this alot. Cold not as good as above and mid summer better than above by 1 - 2 mpg.
#15 (permalink) Old 01-11-2013, 04:22 AM

I'm averaging 24 MPG overall with 2300 miles on the clock. City 18-19, Freeway driving is 26-27. Actually better than my 2009 Nissan Rogue with 4 cylinder and CVT, 23-24 was the best I could eek out of it.

I'm sure the different temperatures, payload, tire pressure, speed (MPH) etc. contribute to the differences our Ravs get in MPG.

Ray

2012 RAV4 Blizzard Pearl Limited V6 4wd, Entune-Nav, Rearview mirror cam, tow prep pkg w/ Curt Class 3 hitch.
2011 Hyundai Sonata SE nav/sunroof
2004 Lexus RX330
1992 Mazda Miata C-pkg
#16 (permalink) Old 01-11-2013, 09:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crayb View Post
I Actually better than my 2009 Nissan Rogue with 4 cylinder and CVT, 23-24 was the best I could eek out of it.
Similar here. I'm getting similar MPG in V6 RAV4 compared to H4 Subaru. Hence no complians.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page