4.3 or 4.4? - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.3 General Discuss anything RAV4.3 related that doesn't fit in the categories below.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 01-07-2013, 01:50 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
4.3 or 4.4?

We previously owned a 2010 Limited V6 4x4 which we traded for a new 4Runner and that for a new Tundra Crewmax. My wife just had our second daughter and there is no space in the passenger front seat with a rear facing car seat behind it. We are eyeing a 2012 Limited with the 2.5l at our local dealer and also a 2012 Sienna base model. Both have 0% for 60 months. We were planning on holding out for a 2013, but with all the things I am reading that are no longer available on the RAV4 I am not sure that I want to do that. V6 means nothing as my wife lives a 2200 rpm, and the little extra MPG of the 4cyl would be good with her driving. What do you parents out there think? Grab a '12 RAV on a discount, a '12 Sienna, or hold out for a '13?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 01-07-2013, 02:01 AM
Advanced Member

When our two kids were little, a Rav would not had had enough interior room for our needs. We took a number of road trips, and we needed all of the carrying capacity of our Honda Odyssey for that. Not to mention ferrying all manner of kids and equipment around. Gas mileage was roughly equivalent, with the Rav getting about 10% better probably due to it being lighter.

So, I'd vote Sienna.

2010 Rav4 AWD V6 - Wife's
2007 Civic LX - Daughter's
1996 BMW 328i - Son's
1995 Miata - Daily Driver
2011 Corvette - Unintentional garage queen

#3 (permalink) Old 01-07-2013, 02:02 AM
Advanced Member

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Veliksam
If your worried about gas consumption then get a 13 Rav4, if not then get a Sienna (they now only come in V6) or a 12 Rav4 V6. There is no point in getting a 4 cylinder 12 Rav4 for the small discount because you'll make up the money from the better gas consumption in a 13 Rav4. Hope this makes sense

From what I heard and read, the 13 Rav4 will be cheaper.

Sent from my HTC ONE X

-----2012 V6 Sport, Tow Prep, & 4x4-----
HU: Kenwood DNN991HD & back-up cam,
JDM HID Projector Headlights w/Toshiba D4S Bulbs, JDM Vanguard Tail Lights
Front DRL's, LED Bumper Park/Brake lights,
Laser Interceptor Quad & Passport 9500ix
Red "SPORT" Theme
----------
#4 (permalink) Old 01-07-2013, 02:13 AM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rav4two View Post
When our two kids were little, a Rav would not had had enough interior room for our needs. We took a number of road trips, and we needed all of the carrying capacity of our Honda Odyssey for that. Not to mention ferrying all manner of kids and equipment around. Gas mileage was roughly equivalent, with the Rav getting about 10% better probably due to it being lighter.

So, I'd vote Sienna.
Road trips we will normally be in the Crewmax with a travel trailer behind us so I do not worry about that so much as my knees touching the dash while cruising around town. I lean towards a Sienna as it will work if and when we have a third kid as well regardless though. Thanks for the reply.
#5 (permalink) Old 01-07-2013, 02:15 AM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by veliksam View Post
If your worried about gas consumption then get a 13 Rav4, if not then get a Sienna (they now only come in V6) or a 12 Rav4 V6. There is no point in getting a 4 cylinder 12 Rav4 for the small discount because you'll make up the money from the better gas consumption in a 13 Rav4. Hope this makes sense

From what I heard and read, the 13 Rav4 will be cheaper.

Sent from my HTC ONE X
How much better is the 13 supposed to be than the 12 4cyl? Our 10 had significantly better mileage than the sticker and it was the v6 with my lead foot behind it. My wife's uncle has a 12 4cyl and is getting 31mpg highway while the sticker says 28mpg as well.
#6 (permalink) Old 01-07-2013, 02:26 AM
Advanced Member

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Veliksam
Quote:
Originally Posted by brockeverly View Post
How much better is the 13 supposed to be than the 12 4cyl? Our 10 had significantly better mileage than the sticker and it was the v6 with my lead foot behind it. My wife's uncle has a 12 4cyl and is getting 31mpg highway while the sticker says 28mpg as well.
It's at least going to be 5-6 mpg better on the 13 than the 12 Rav4 because of the 6 speed tranny, lower ground clearance, and better aerodynamics. Just Google the 13 Rav4 and you'll find all the details. Keep in mind, the base sienna is more $ than a mid range Rav4 or maybe even as much as a limited Rav4.

Sent from my HTC ONE X

-----2012 V6 Sport, Tow Prep, & 4x4-----
HU: Kenwood DNN991HD & back-up cam,
JDM HID Projector Headlights w/Toshiba D4S Bulbs, JDM Vanguard Tail Lights
Front DRL's, LED Bumper Park/Brake lights,
Laser Interceptor Quad & Passport 9500ix
Red "SPORT" Theme
----------
#7 (permalink) Old 01-07-2013, 09:23 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Seems to me that the Sienna would make you bulletproof for many years to come. The RAV could be outgrown before you finish paying for it. Sienna....

Old Bird......sometimes wise
2008 Base V-6 front wheel drive
2008 Limited V-6 front wheel drive
Both with Tow Prep Package
#8 (permalink) Old 01-07-2013, 12:42 PM

Garage
Sienna all day long. We have both cars, actually and with the Rav and our baby seat (5 month old/ rear facing) installed in the passenger side, your knees are very close to the dash. I couldn't imagine driving with a child seat behind the driver seat.

While the sienna has more space than we need, we're averaging 22mpg combined and when you have the middle row pushed all the way back, you can move the front seats pretty much all the way back without issues.

We took one road trip with the sienna (6 hour drive) and I was surprised how much room for luggage and people we had.

Another benefit to the sienna is the ability to fit relatives in the car when they visit. Although I'd like to banish the in-laws to another car, they always try to squeeze in the Rav. With the Sienna, they go to the third row.

If you can swing the LE, the power sliding doors seem like overkill, but are really nice when you are carrying the car seat.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
#9 (permalink) Old 01-07-2013, 10:14 PM

(Thread Starter)
So we went today and I had Sienna on my mind. Narrowed it down to an LE with power doors and backup camera. She was not feeling it at all so we walked around a bit. Drove a RAV4, Camry SE, and a Scion xB. After an hour or two of deliberating she chose the xB. While it did not have near as much room as the Sienna and less cargo capacity than the RAV4 she really liked driving it. Both girls fit easily with no knees to the dashboard. Got 31mpg on the 60 mile drive home. While the exterior is the smallest of what we drove, the interior is the biggest in how it feels. I wanted the Sienna, but if momma ain't happy, well, you know the rest. Saved 10k off of the Sienna I wanted so the payment is quite a bit less as well so that is a plus.
#10 (permalink) Old 01-08-2013, 07:01 PM

Just going to say that I am always weary of first year models of anything. The 13 Rav4 may have a few bugs to work out.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page