Accell pedal question - Page 2 - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.3 General Discuss anything RAV4.3 related that doesn't fit in the categories below.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#11 (permalink) Old 01-21-2013, 07:00 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
That's how you do the DEW! .... ok does not make sense! but glad it worked out for you. Now there will an avalance of posts for swapping pedals!

2008 Base Rav4, 4 Cylinder, 4WD
My upgrades Allen Spare tire Bike Rack
Currently listening to "Queensryche" - Operation Mindcrime
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#12 (permalink) Old 01-21-2013, 08:08 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanib View Post
That's how you do the DEW! .... ok does not make sense! but glad it worked out for you. Now there will an avalance of posts for swapping pedals!
But it does make sense, the nonlinearity in aggressiveness is in the pedal not the ECU. I can see us setting a pedal swap "bin" to have your pedal "your way."

This thread needs to be made a sticky!

Fred
2006 RAV4 V6 4WD Red Limited - wife's
2006 Accord V6 Hybrid - Dr. Dyno's - quick as the RAV but +8 mpg
2003 Odyssey V6 - handy people & cargo mover
1999 F-250 4X4 Diesel - snow plow, Bully Dog chip
2001 F-250 4X4 Diesel - truck camper, TS chip, 20' bike/trike dyno trailer
2004 Suzuki DRZ-400S Dual Sport

It's the pedal (or the handgrip) on the right!!
#13 (permalink) Old 01-21-2013, 09:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
I'd like to have some others try it and have success as well before this is a sticky. The pedal from my old 06 is 78110-42010 which is an original Denso. There is a new Denso 78110-42011 I don't what the change is or if the new Denso would produce similiar results. The CTS pedal in my 2011 is 78110-0R022. The CCTS pedal design back in 2009 - 2010 was possibly the cause of the sticking pedal from what I've read. It's number was 780110-0R020 (I think), if guys were to swap I wouldn't want of those. A new pedal should run you about $80.00 - $90.00
#14 (permalink) Old 01-21-2013, 10:12 AM
Advanced Member

Up to '12 model year, it seems Japanese production RAV4 lines use Denso pedals while Canadian production uses CTS probably due to proximity to supplier.

Is there a different Denso pedal between the I4 and the V6? Would you expect the same signal output to two engines that behave entirely differently? Perhaps the pedal outputs are handled differently by the ECU mapping of respective I4 & V6?

2010 RAV4 V6 Sport 4WD SAP
#15 (permalink) Old 01-21-2013, 10:14 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Dyno View Post
But it does make sense, the nonlinearity in aggressiveness is in the pedal not the ECU. ...
This thread needs to be made a sticky!
Actually, it makes sense to me too. It was my own comment about the "DEW" which did not make sense.

2008 Base Rav4, 4 Cylinder, 4WD
My upgrades Allen Spare tire Bike Rack
Currently listening to "Queensryche" - Operation Mindcrime
#16 (permalink) Old 01-21-2013, 11:48 AM

Great solution. It appears that the magnets are different in the two pedals, producing different field strength profiles as they move relative to the sensor in the different units. The way these units typically work is to use a pair of magnets in opposition with the magnet assembly moving relative to the fixed Hall sensor. Putting a weaker magnet at one end will make the field change more gradually as the magnets move relative to the sensor at the end of travel than if the two magnets are similar strength.

The simplest, least expensive solution is always the best. For those who just want to switch the pedal assy. and that provides the desired solution it is about $100. For $50 more I got many different optional profiles. To each his own.

2012 V6 4WD Ltd.

if you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.
#17 (permalink) Old 01-21-2013, 12:58 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob-o View Post
For those who just want to switch the pedal assy. and that provides the desired solution it is about $100. For $50 more I got many different optional profiles. To each his own.
My thinking too. Options for +$50 for those like me who'd want something to play with. Wouldn't want to explain them to the wifey tho. Whenever I use something of her's like her labelmaker I catch it if I don't remember to set it back to the way she left it.

One clarification please Bob, does the i-throttle default to stock on startup or to your previous setting?
#18 (permalink) Old 01-21-2013, 01:19 PM

"from the other thread on v6 touchy throttle..."

The mode can be changed on the fly or stopped. When the car is shut off it will revert to the normal mode, then return to the last mode used if desired, with a single button push. On the road it alternates display between the mode and the throttle %. All in all I rate it

The easy way to sell it to the wife is to say, "I bet you never thought I would buy something that would REDUCE the performance of my RAV and IMPROVE fuel efficiency honey, but here it is..."

2012 V6 4WD Ltd.

if you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.
#19 (permalink) Old 01-22-2013, 12:31 AM

(Thread Starter)
Got off the phone with my mother in law who actually drives the 06 the most and she now loves the way the Rav accelerates from a dead stop. The head snap is gone in the 06 and the 11 just pulls the way it should for me. Of coarse the ecus also play a role because my 11 feels way better but does not have the head snap the 06 had with the Denso pedal and 06 pulled stonger with the CTS in it than the 11 did with the CTS. In this instance this swap was perfect for both vehicles. So if anyone else is thinking about doing it may or may work as well. I was going to try with a used pedal from a salvage yard from an 07 for 43.00 until I thought about swapping with the in laws. If this had not worked as well as it did I problably would have went with the Sprint booster or the I-throttle as mentioned above. On my sportbikes I always prefer the simplest, with least amount of wires and connections as long as my objective in performance is met. Looks like there are a couple of good options for us to choose from. You know when I drove the 06 again I did notice that you could hear the exhaust and engine growl a bit more I wonder about the newer exhaust systems are choking our power compaired to the earlier gen3s ... hmmmm I wonder if ...
#20 (permalink) Old 05-09-2013, 10:41 AM
Advanced Member

So, I guess my V6 2010 Japanese built uses the Denso and that year was more sensitive? Mine definitely is touchy taking off from a start but I've sort of gotten used to it. In a more aggressive start it's fun, but in general driving it's a bit irritating.

2010 Toyota RAV4 V6 AWD Sport-Sport, Magnetic Grey/Charcoal, Extra Value Pkg, Sport Appearance Pkg, Tow Pkg, BlueLogic hands free
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page