Potential 2006 Sport V6 4X4 purchase, 111 000 miles - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.3 General Discuss anything RAV4.3 related that doesn't fit in the categories below.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 01-15-2013, 11:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
Potential 2006 Sport V6 4X4 purchase, 111 000 miles

So I was in line to inherit my fathers 2009 Rav4 V6 4x4 limited, but he's decided to keep the Rav and trade their other car instead. I ended up borrowing his Rav for most of the summer (towing/moving stuff), so I'm thinking of trading my 2004 TSX on a Rav of my own.

Budget is a concern, so I've been looking at some higher mileage examples. Wanted to get some of your thoughts on Ravs of this vintage/mileage (2006/7, 100+ miles). Only looking at 4x4 V6 models, ideally it would be a limited but I'm flexible on that after realizing how well equipped all of the models are.

2006 Toyota RAV4 Sport Sport Utility - Ontario Cars For Sale - Kijiji Ontario Canada.

2007 Toyota RAV4 Standard SUV - Oshawa / Durham Region Cars For Sale - Kijiji Oshawa / Durham Region Canada.

2007 Toyota RAV4 AWD* 7 Pass** AWD * Sunroof * SUV - Ontario Cars For Sale - Kijiji Ontario Canada.

I got really excited about that 7 passenger, but it was sold on Saturday (I went to look at it on Sunday). The Sport is looking the best now to me, a little bit concerned about the rougher ride, vs my dad's limited that i'm used to, and was also wondering if anyone had experience with both to compare.

Thanks

EDIT Drove the Sport this weekend and all was in order, see later post for some questions

Last edited by Gryph; 01-20-2013 at 11:48 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 01-16-2013, 01:14 AM

The main thing is but what you like..... Don't settle...... I just bought a 09 limited 4wd 4cy.... Yes I wish I got the v6 but in theory I don't need it.....
#3 (permalink) Old 01-16-2013, 01:20 AM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4cyturbowrx View Post
The main thing is but what you like..... Don't settle...... I just bought a 09 limited 4wd 4cy.... Yes I wish I got the v6 but in theory I don't need it.....
Thanks for the reply. Yah I agree with the not settling part, I keep thinking I shouldn't care about colour/model etc but I suppose I do in a way.

My ideal would be 09+ Limited V6 but likely won't be in the budget. As for 06-08s around here it seems there are more base models and sport models than the limited (makes sense).

The only things I'm set on for sure are the V6 and 4x4. I do a bit of towing (motorcycles, a small 14" aluminum boat, utility trailer maybe) that the I4 could probably handle, but after having driven the V6 so much I don't think I could go to the I4. Even getting back in my TSX is disappointing after driving the Rav, can't believe how great it handles for an SUV as well.
#4 (permalink) Old 01-16-2013, 01:57 AM

Yah it's a big v6 for how small these SUV are.... You might need to travel a bit to get what you want...
#5 (permalink) Old 01-16-2013, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryph View Post

My ideal would be 09+ Limited V6 but likely won't be in the budget.
Me, too. I love push button start, HATE digging keys out of my pocket (Grampa forgets sometimes).

"Don't tell me I'm in denial because I'm not!"

2008 Limited FWD V6
Pacific Blue
#6 (permalink) Old 01-16-2013, 04:44 PM

Don't worry about the third row 7 seater. I have one and I've never used it. I would much rather have had the extra storage space. Concentrate on finding a V6 AWD - you'll never regret it!

2013 Toyota Venza AWD V6 Touring w/JBL package
2008 Toyota Rav4 AWD V6 Base
Many other vehicles beginning with...
1932 Ford 8, acquired in 1959
#7 (permalink) Old 01-16-2013, 07:18 PM

Yeah the V6 is snappy but mileage is not good. I'm seeing 19 in town and 22 on hiway being REALLY conservative. And the sport is definitely a stiff ride... you'll have to make your peace with run -flats or replace them with something else.

2009 RAV4 Sport 4WD V6 SAP
#8 (permalink) Old 01-16-2013, 07:31 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdograv View Post
... you'll have to make your peace with run -flats or replace them with something else.
You will have run-flats only if your Sport is the SAP model. Otherwise you will have regular tires.

2008 Base Rav4, 4 Cylinder, 4WD
My upgrades Allen Spare tire Bike Rack
Currently listening to "Badlands" - Voodoo Highway
#9 (permalink) Old 01-16-2013, 08:52 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I drove the Sport (without runflat tires) when I bought my '08 Limited. Now I am one that prefers sportier handling but this was too stout a ride for me, I didn't care for it. I did not take the salesperson's suggested route as I had already mapped out my own. It made my teeth chatter on the poor roads that I chose but that is subjective. It may not bother you at all.

For my use the seven passenger set up has no merit. The storage space lost isn't worth it, buy a larger vehicle if you need to haul that many folks.

In real usage, as far as full size adults are concerned, the normal two seat set up is a four person vehicle. Five is claimed but reality dictates four for any kind of comfort. Many utes are claimed to be five person vehicles but comfort and practicality is not considered in that claim.

Old Bird......sometimes wise
2008 Base V-6 front wheel drive
2008 Limited V-6 front wheel drive
Both with Tow Prep Package
#10 (permalink) Old 01-16-2013, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdograv View Post
Yeah the V6 is snappy but mileage is not good. I'm seeing 19 in town and 22 on hiway being REALLY conservative. And the sport is definitely a stiff ride... you'll have to make your peace with run -flats or replace them with something else.
I am seeing 19-20 in town and 27-29 on the expressway only driving conservatively with the cruise set at about 60.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page