Bought a New 2012 RAV4 - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.3 General Discuss anything RAV4.3 related that doesn't fit in the categories below.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 01-17-2013, 11:10 AM
M8s

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
Bought a New 2012 RAV4

We bought a 2005 RAV4 last April and fell in love with it. We should've had RAV4s from the day they came out. But our 2005, at 74k miles, is a little long in the tooth and is a bit too tight on space for us. It runs great and looks the business, though, so it was hard to think of selling it.

So yesterday, we went to Earnhardt Toyota in Mesa, AZ to look at the 2013 on the showroom floor. It left us cold. We didn't like the newish stying and poor visibility from the smaller side and rear windows (at least they seem smaller). I do like the 6 speed tranny, just not enough to buy the 2013.

But they had a new 2012 on the showroom floor that was exactly what we wanted. It's a 4 cylinder (don't need 6), AWD, white with tan (cloth) interior, no Navigation (our phones suffice when needed), bluetooth, roof rack, no satellite radio (have it in our Prius v and never use it), 17" wheels/tires, tinted windows, DRL and carpeted floor/cargo mats. The dealer threw in all-weather mats, an extra cup-holder insert, window tint on the front doors and door-edge clear bra. Cost was just under $22k plus TTL, so a bit below dealer cost.

Now I'm looking for three things to finish it off: body side moldings, mud flaps and Weathertech front mats. The Toyota front mats just don't have enough coverage (I fly fish a lot and often get in wearing muddy/sandy wading boots).

Any idea where to get these things online? Here at RAV4 World, perhaps?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 01-17-2013, 12:27 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Instead of WeatherTech mats, go with Weathertech liners or Max Floor liners. You can get them from autorized dealers, Amazon or even Ebay.

I think SeriousBlack is selling his used WeatherTech floor liners.

2008 Base Rav4, 4 Cylinder, 4WD
My upgrades Allen Spare tire Bike Rack
Currently listening to "Queensryche" - Operation Mindcrime
The Following User Says Thank You to vanib For This Useful Post:
M8s (01-17-2013)
#3 (permalink) Old 01-17-2013, 12:32 PM
Advanced Member

Congrats on getting your new RAV, and sounds like you got a good deal. About the extras which you want perhaps the best thing to do is to Google by the item name, and there will be a lot of results to compare. Prices can change and sometimes suppliers have time-limited special deals.

About the floor mats - I suggest getting the Weathertech floor liners rather than the mats. The liners contain snow, water, mud, etc. until they can be dumped or sponged off or out. I've had mine for two years and they prevent the underlying floor covering from developing mildew and other problems.

Jim
2011 Upgraded Base V6 4WD
2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic LT
2002 Craftsman LT1000 V2

Jesus is Lord
The Following User Says Thank You to Blogson For This Useful Post:
M8s (01-17-2013)
#4 (permalink) Old 01-17-2013, 03:30 PM

I just bought a set of Weathertech liners from Amazon. They fit perfectly and definitely offer more protection than the mats.

2010 Rav4 Base 6cyl 4WD w/ tow prep and hitch, XM radio
235/65R17 tires
The Following User Says Thank You to Songdog For This Useful Post:
M8s (01-17-2013)
#5 (permalink) Old 01-17-2013, 03:52 PM
M8s

(Thread Starter)
All good input guys, thanks. I got Weathertech floor mats for our 2005 (they don't make liners for 4.2s) and they were a very poor fit. But liners for the 4.3 model sound like just the ticket.

Off Topic:

Man, I've really noticed an improvement in ride quality in the 4.3 as compared to the 4.2. More smooth and comfortable and less jeepy. The extra wheelbase makes the difference, I guess. And the iPod interface is great, much better than I expected.

I love this car!
#6 (permalink) Old 01-18-2013, 10:38 AM

Wish the 13s were out here in Yonkers My money is burning a hole in my pocket.....My 08 XB is getting older by the day.....Still a good trade
#7 (permalink) Old 01-18-2013, 11:38 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Actually I have the MAX liner ( a WeatherTech clone). I do not plan to empty them. I bought a wet-dry vaccum for $20 from Walmart and plan to simply vacuum all out as needed. It just seems clumsy to take them out of the RAV to dump.

I did not have to clean the liners at all this winter; Once the RAV is warm, I make sure that warm air from outside is directed to the feet and the slush just dries up within a day or two. It feels like it dries faster than with mats since there is a better flow of air along the liners.

Seems like I will clean the liners with a damp sponge when winter is over to remove the salt stains and accumulate gravel.

I am very satisfied with my purchase. Now I don't have to worry that my wife is letting the mats overflow.

2008 Base Rav4, 4 Cylinder, 4WD
My upgrades Allen Spare tire Bike Rack
Currently listening to "Queensryche" - Operation Mindcrime
#8 (permalink) Old 01-26-2013, 11:35 AM
M8s

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanib View Post
Actually I have the MAX liner ( a WeatherTech clone). I do not plan to empty them. I bought a wet-dry vaccum for $20 from Walmart and plan to simply vacuum all out as needed. It just seems clumsy to take them out of the RAV to dump.
Great advice. I'd already ordered WeatherTechs (for the front and cargo area) from Amazon when you posted this. They look just like your Max liners but cost twice as much, even at the low Amazon price. They do fit quite well, though, and I'm sure they'll keep water, slush, sand and mud from getting on the carpet.

My mud flaps arrived yesterday from Daytona Toyota (about $41 including shipping) so I'll get those mounted today.

Still shopping for body side moldings. Haven't found any Superwhites for a decent discount price yet.

BTW, I took 3 passengers on a 40+ mile dirt road/trail ride last Wednesday. The new RAV had plenty of power and great ground clearance so no issues. And, it did not develop any squeaks or rattles as a result of the rough and rocky terrain, which is also a welcome relief. In fact, I even got good gas mileage (a little over 24 mpg indicated) despite there being several mountain passes and many steep grades.

Pretty happy with this purchase.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page