RAV4 acceleration question - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.3 General Discuss anything RAV4.3 related that doesn't fit in the categories below.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 01-21-2013, 08:42 AM
BWC

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
RAV4 acceleration question

Our 2012 4WD 2.5L has an issue the dealer is saying is due to "adaptive transmission" and engine operating temps. While trying to pass a slower car on a two lane roadway a couple weeks ago, I had to step hard on gas pedal to engage "kickdown" and the engine stumbled and would not accelerate. I had to back off and get back in line behind the slower car. I had been driving the RAV4 for over an hour so it was up to temp. I tried several more kickdowns and the same thing would happen except if I left the pedal still pressed hard to the floor the engine would eventually rev to it's red line but it was not a warm and cozy feeling when your out in the passing lane hoping that the engine will get up and go. No check engine light or any codes found at the dealer. We took it for a drive and of course the RAV4 performed as normal. I have tried it several times since and it still does the same thing. They are telling me that the transmission learns a certain way of shifting if my wife is driving it easy vs someone that is more aggressive. I say BS. Anyone have this issue with their 2012? I am taking it back however without a fault code what else do you suggest? Thanks. This is really a disappointment to us as this vehicle is brand new and came highly recommended.

Brian

White 2012 RAV4. Our second new Toyota since our 1982 Toyota SR5 pickup. Hope it is just as good....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 01-21-2013, 08:53 AM
ARK

BS is right...look into the control system for failure. The intermittent problem is a safety issue. The throttle to the ECU to the throttle body is failing whether it is a learned response or not. Park it at the dealer's lot with a written note to fix it and get a loaner. Do not accept the verbal BS. Throttle response must be a 100% accurate input from a human with no intervention by machine, until the whole car is itself a driving machine without human input.

As it it right now, you cannot trust the response to the gas pedal and that is a safety issue.
#3 (permalink) Old 01-21-2013, 09:46 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Agreed, it's BS! I can see some "learning" but not to kill power intermittently.
The only time my '06 V6 feels dead is until the temp gauge comes off C.

If you could quantify it by timing some 40-60 or 50-70mph (whatever that is for you) runs it might strengthen your case.

Fred
2006 RAV4 V6 4WD Red Limited - wife's
2006 Accord V6 Hybrid - Dr. Dyno's - quick as the RAV but +8 mpg
2003 Odyssey V6 - handy people & cargo mover
1999 F-250 4X4 Diesel - snow plow, Bully Dog chip
2001 F-250 4X4 Diesel - truck camper, TS chip, 20' bike/trike dyno trailer
2004 Suzuki DRZ-400S Dual Sport

It's the pedal (or the handgrip) on the right!!
#4 (permalink) Old 01-21-2013, 09:58 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
not to be the devils advocate here, mine did something similar a couple of times when new, it would hesitate to downshift between 3rd and 4th gears when flooring it in 5th, for 2-3 long seconds it was like it didn't want to commit to a gear, and the RPMs would not go up... didn't like the feeling at all,

after the breakin period, I started being a bit more agressive with it, and it never did it again.
#5 (permalink) Old 01-21-2013, 10:17 AM

Not normal, the adaptive learning feature only applies to the upshift points and firmness during normal driving, at full throttle that is all cancelled and immediate kickdown should occur, sounds more like engine performance here though.
#6 (permalink) Old 01-21-2013, 11:45 AM
Advanced Member

Our 2011 with the same engine and transmission doesn't do that. I'm the only driver that kicks it down to pass, with my wife driving it 90% of the time, and since she's a much less agressive driver than me, you would think we'd have seen this problem too if it were normal. Actually, I'm always impressed how well that four banger does pass!

WJBertrand
2011 Rav4
#7 (permalink) Old 01-21-2013, 04:37 PM
BWC

(Thread Starter)
[QUOTE=Octane;963081]not to be the devils advocate here, mine did something similar a couple of times when new, it would hesitate to downshift between 3rd and 4th gears when flooring it in 5th, for 2-3 long seconds it was like it didn't want to commit to a gear, and the RPMs would not go up... didn't like the feeling at all. QUOTE]
Exactly, thanks for the responses. We feel it is a BIG safety issue and it is going in asap. I have been hammering it lately so the "adaptive learning" is total BS as it is still doing it. I will see what their next move is.

Brian

White 2012 RAV4. Our second new Toyota since our 1982 Toyota SR5 pickup. Hope it is just as good....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page