checking oil - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.3 General Discuss anything RAV4.3 related that doesn't fit in the categories below.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 01-23-2013, 11:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
checking oil

I have a problem reading the oil stick on my 06 Rave 4 base. When I clean the stick and try to read the oil level the oil only shows on one side of the stick and is hard to read,not showing a good level read. What am I missing, I have no problem on my other vehicles. Does this engine use that much oil. The engins has 45000 miles changed every 5K with full synth. oil.Thank you jz.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 01-23-2013, 12:24 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Same here. It stays so clean that it is all but impossible to see. I need my glasses and a halogen spot light. Even then I have to look for the difference in the reflection from the wet to the dry part of the stick.

Old Bird......sometimes wise
2008 Base V-6 front wheel drive
2008 Limited V-6 front wheel drive
Both with Tow Prep Package
#3 (permalink) Old 01-23-2013, 12:28 PM

This is what is called a pleasant problem!
#4 (permalink) Old 01-23-2013, 12:28 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
My dipstick also stays wet only one side, I think that side might have more friction to it. I also check if there is oil in those 2 dimples, ideally filling the higher one. I also check the reflection of the oil in light.

2008 Base Rav4, 4 Cylinder, 4WD
My upgrades Allen Spare tire Bike Rack
Currently listening to "Queensryche" with new singer Todd La Torre totally rocks "
#5 (permalink) Old 01-23-2013, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanib View Post
My dipstick also stays wet only one side, I think that side might have more friction to it. I also check if there is oil in those 2 dimples, ideally filling the higher one. I also check the reflection of the oil in light.
This is exactly what I do, too. If there's oil in those holes then you're good. It's definitely hard to see on the dipstick itself without super close inspection.

2009 Rav4 Sport V6 4x4 Classic Silver Metallic | Black Leather | Sport Appearance Package | OEM Tube Steps | OEM Roof Rack
2007 Mazdaspeed6 Sport Velocity Red Mica | AWD | 2.3L Turbo | 6spd Manual | Lots of Modifications
#6 (permalink) Old 01-23-2013, 02:16 PM
Advanced Member

The normal advice is that if the oil level is higher on one side than the other, the actual oil level is the lower reading. The dipstick is supposed to be immersed in the oil, so it's unlikely the act of pulling it out will cleanly wipe the oil from the blade. However, it is possible for something the dipstick rubs against to put oil on one side.

I can't remember now if the Rav's dipstick has the two holes, but that is only accurate if both sides of the blade are wetted with oil.

2010 Rav4 AWD V6 - Wife's
2007 Civic LX - Daughter's
1996 BMW 328i - Son's
1995 Miata - Daily Driver
2011 Corvette - Unintentional garage queen

#7 (permalink) Old 01-23-2013, 02:44 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I am go with one side having oil, with the RAV at least. The upper dimple being filled is futher confirmation that there is enough oil.

2008 Base Rav4, 4 Cylinder, 4WD
My upgrades Allen Spare tire Bike Rack
Currently listening to "Queensryche" with new singer Todd La Torre totally rocks "
#8 (permalink) Old 01-23-2013, 04:18 PM
Advanced Member

The dip stick enters the oil at a fairly sharp angle, so it would be impossible for both sides of the stick to have different levels.

The dipstick in my V6 has a 1/4 twist at the tip, which helps to keep the stick centered in the tube and prevents the measurement area from rubbing on the tube and wiping off the oil. If your dipstick doesn't have the twist, you might try inserting it into the tube at 90 degrees to what you usually do. You will find it harder to push it into the tube, but it should prevent rubbing off the oil.

Finally, you might try to rough up the end of the dipstick with a little sandpaper. The shiny new oil might be easier to see if the background is not also shiny.

Rick L Ontario Canada
2008 Silver RAV4 Limited V6 4WD
#9 (permalink) Old 01-23-2013, 04:49 PM
Advanced Member

Sometimes it's easier to see the level when engine is cold and oil more viscous. Even though it's not the official method.

Last edited by friendly_jacek; 01-24-2013 at 12:50 PM.
#10 (permalink) Old 01-23-2013, 06:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanib View Post
I am go with one side having oil, with the RAV at least. The upper dimple being filled is futher confirmation that there is enough oil.
Obviously your car, your choice, but pull out your dipstick, wipe it dry, put a drop of oil on your finger, and lightly rub it against one side of your dipstick. It will fill both dimples.

Then, also think about how a dipstick can get immerse into oil but one side gets wiped dry on its trip out of the dipstick. Actually, if you take your dipstick, try to dip it vertically into some oil so that it only gets on one side. You'll find it's impossible. I personally think you are running at least a full quart low, if not more.

2010 Rav4 AWD V6 - Wife's
2007 Civic LX - Daughter's
1996 BMW 328i - Son's
1995 Miata - Daily Driver
2011 Corvette - Unintentional garage queen

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page