Key fob - Page 2 - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.3 General Discuss anything RAV4.3 related that doesn't fit in the categories below.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#11 (permalink) Old 01-23-2013, 05:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
Thanks Rick, I'll give that a try. Do you know if the alarm will go off if I have locked it with the fob and then unlock with the key. It has been locked tonight with the fob so was gonna try in the morning - guess neighbours will be getting an early alarm wakeup call :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#12 (permalink) Old 01-23-2013, 06:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladyrav View Post
Thanks Rick, I'll give that a try. Do you know if the alarm will go off if I have locked it with the fob and then unlock with the key. It has been locked tonight with the fob so was gonna try in the morning - guess neighbours will be getting an early alarm wakeup call :-)
I'm afraid I can't answer that. My RAV does not have a factory alarm system, but it yours does, you may be entirely correct.

I suggest you test that sometime during the day so you will know the outcome.

Rick L Ontario Canada
2008 Silver RAV4 Limited V6 4WD
#13 (permalink) Old 01-23-2013, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickl View Post
I have never heard of a problem with the remote door locks, being related to temperature, but we can't rule out the possibility.

It looks like your temperature last night was -1'C and your daytime temperature was +1'C. So that is a very small change to explain why the locks don't work in the morning, but work an hour later. In comparison our temperature last night was -30'C, and I don't think anyone here had a problem with door locks.

The next time the locks won't work, try walking all around the the vehicle while trying to operate the FOB, see if a particular location works better than others.

You could also start the engine one morning to let the interior warm up, then shut it off, and then try the FOB again. If the problem is radio interference it is unlikely to go away during the 5 minute warm up period. If the FOB works after the warm up, it is probably temperature related. If it still doesn't work it could be interference.

If the above test shows that a 5 minute warmup doesn't solve the problem, then the next day you could also unlock the door with the key, and quickly drive a block away, park the car , and try the FOB again. If it works at this new location then I would be looking for an interference problem again.
it's possible the fobs require re-programming!
when i bought my 97 rav4 a few months ago, the fob didn't work at first, and then it was reluctant at first to accept re-programming. But when I tried re-programming the fob the following week, it accepted the re-programming!
( I also saved myself the cost of a new fob from the toyota dealer: when programming didn't work the 1st time, I ordered a new fob from a toyota dealer ( the dealership doesn't refund money on special order ( the fob was soecial order). Fortunately for me, the dealership ordered the wrong fob for my rav4! When I tried programming the new fob from the dealer, it wouldn't work. So at that point I tried re-programming my old fob again, and it worked like a charm! And I got my money back from the dealership on their special order ( a rare occurence!))
#14 (permalink) Old 01-23-2013, 08:00 PM
Your Humble Administrator

Thanked 1,064 Times in 773 Posts
Garage
Ladyrav, you need to read this Toyota service bulletin. It addresses your problem exactly:

http://www.rav4world.com/pdf/4.3 int...io signals.pdf

If it gets to be too much of a pain, you can disable it entirely by the procedure in this bulletin:

http://www.rav4world.com/pdf/4.3 dis...mart entry.pdf

James

2008 Limited V6 2WD "The Silver Bullet"

The Following User Says Thank You to JuneBug For This Useful Post:
Ladyrav (01-24-2013)
#15 (permalink) Old 01-23-2013, 09:27 PM
DVS
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Did you, or a passenger, get any new personal electronic devices that may be causing occasional interference?

Perhaps a new mobile phone or tablet? Maybe sometimes wifi or 3G/4G is on and sometimes it's off, that kind of thing?

Maybe a new garage door opener? New wireless router for your network? Maybe a neighbor has a new wireless router?

Maybe a new MP3 player, possibly hearing aids, pacemaker or the like? (Ok, those are real reaches...)

Any new aerials in the neighborhood? Maybe a neighbor has become a ham radio buff? Perhaps a new home security system with wireless cameras nearby?

Has there been any construction or remodeling in the area recently? Maybe they moved or changed power lines, possibly overhead or underground?

There are many possibilities to look for, some not always easily visible or obvious.

Silver 2012 RAV4 Limited V6 4WD with Tow Prep and OEM Hitch.

Long live the RAV4 V6!
The Following User Says Thank You to DVS For This Useful Post:
Ladyrav (01-24-2013)
#16 (permalink) Old 01-23-2013, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladyrav View Post
Hi Lady,

I had a somewhat similar problem on a BMW.

I thought something was just not right as it would not lock/unlock about 10% of the time, at random.

As an engineer I decided to do some testing to see if it was really random or something specific. I concluded that it was random and that it had to be the receiver in the car; both key fobs had new batteries and both would not unlock it at the same time of an occurance.

The car was under warranty, so off to the dealer it went.

They called and said, after a day or so, that they could not duplicate the problem. I had a very long talk with warranty lady and she finally said that she believed me and that they would put in a new receiver.

With the new receiver, I never had that problem again.

Electronics can be

Jerry Baumchen
#17 (permalink) Old 01-24-2013, 01:30 AM

We also had issues with our 07 Infiniti G35 locking/ unlocking. If we had our cell phone in the same pocket as the remote/ key fob, it would not work at times. After about 2 months, Infiniti recalled our car and gave us 2 new remotes to use. No more problems after that.

Just a thought.

Ray

2012 RAV4 Blizzard Pearl Limited V6 4wd, Entune-Nav, Rearview mirror cam, tow prep pkg w/ Curt Class 3 hitch.
2011 Hyundai Sonata SE nav/sunroof
2004 Lexus RX330
1992 Mazda Miata C-pkg
#18 (permalink) Old 01-24-2013, 06:38 AM

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for all your replies guys...... the fob worked this morning !! although I have found one thing out, the alarm does go off when the car is locked with the fob and unlocked with the key :-)

I have found out something else as well..... my neighbour also has a Rav (a year newer than mine) and, as I heard him swearing at his car the other day, I gave him a knock and he is having the same problem...... looks like we have a weirdo living nearby who is running a pirate radio station or sitting on his CB radio at stupid-o-clock in the morning !!! I'm gonna start keeping a record of when it doesn't work..... it has never had a problem away from the house, so it looks like it could be that.....

Also, does anyone know what the little button on the interior light panel above your head does.... it has a picture of a car with a 'wifi' looking picture and the word "off" on it,,,, what am I turning 'off' if I press it.....
#19 (permalink) Old 01-24-2013, 06:39 AM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuneBug View Post
Ladyrav, you need to read this Toyota service bulletin. It addresses your problem exactly:

http://www.rav4world.com/pdf/4.3 interference of door lock due to radio signals.pdf

If it gets to be too much of a pain, you can disable it entirely by the procedure in this bulletin:

http://www.rav4world.com/pdf/4.3 disable smart entry.pdf
Thanks for these James, the first one is brilliant, but the second one doesn't relate to my car, I haven't got 'smart entry', is there another way to disable it

Thanks
#20 (permalink) Old 01-24-2013, 07:18 AM

Garage
Had trouble not working in a PT Cruiser under warranty once.Receiver in dash was bad.Dealer popped cover off dash and plugged in new one.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page