Few questions on my 2010 Limited - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.3 General Discuss anything RAV4.3 related that doesn't fit in the categories below.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 07:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
Few questions on my 2010 Limited

So as many of you probably can gather from other threads I've posted in, bought the 2010 Rav4 V6 Limited on Tuesday. Now that I've had a few days driving to work and last night took a look in the manual, I have some questions.

First off, I didn't have the manual at work, but I was sitting thinking how on earth do you get in and operate the vehicle if say the battery in the key dies or quits working. I finally found the actual key and see that there is a key hole in the door to open it. Good. Now, is there anywhere in the car you put the key to start the thing in the event something weird goes on with the electronic key? I couldn't find anything like that in the manual.

Question on the leather seats in the limited. Do they ever soften up? I feel like I am sitting on an air filled seat like a balloon. I do not like the leather seats at all. They are extremely slippery and I find myself holding on while driving to keep from slipping around since it is winter and thus, most of us are bundled up in winter coats and such. Perhaps the dealer used something on the leather when they "detailed" instead of what you should use with leather. The leather is very stiff. I like to sit in the seat and I feel like I am just sitting on the seat surface, like I said, like sitting on an over inflated inflatable seat. Will treating with leather conditioner soften up the leather some so that you don't slide around on them so much? Any recommendations on leather conditioner to use?

Love the power, love how it drives and how it feels on the road. The confidence driving on slimy winter roads is very high as they were a bit slimy yesterday morning. A real test will come this afternoon when we are expecting some snow. Unfortunately, if it was my every day car, I probably would not have bought a Rav4. Steering wheel is way too low and seats sit way too high. The other vehicles I tested before buying had much better driving positions. I don't like feeling like I am sitting at an office desk in a car. There is no support in the legs because the back of the seat feels like it is pushing me out of the seat (again, the balloon feeling.) It is my wife's car though, so I won't be driving it very often, just basic family running around where she will be using it for a work commute every day. She seems to be really happy with it, though I have driven it more than her thus far since it's been near 0° in the mornings and, well, it has something my old tired car doesn't have. Heat! LOL.

Drive no faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!

2010 Toyota Rav4 V6 LTD
2003 VW Jetta Wolfsburg 1.8T
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 07:47 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I can't comment on the leather except to say I also got stuck with it on my Accord and don't like it just because it's so cold in the winter before the seat heater warms it. My Limited RAV4 has cloth.

The steering wheel is adjustable for height & length. Have you tried that?
Likewise the seat position adjusts with the knobs down on the left side and on mine there's a lumbar setting via a lever on the right side of the seat back. You've probably found all this stuff but if you're used to a low seat on the VW, the RAV4 will definitely be different. I find myself setting the Accord seat higher after driving the RAV4. Certainly different than my long ago Volvo P1800s!

Speaking of the Volvo P1800s (I had three) and your Guardian Angel line, my pastor used to say, "Fred will be late for the Rapture because the Lord will have to catch up to him first!"

Fred
2006 RAV4 V6 4WD Red Limited - wife's
2006 Accord V6 Hybrid - Dr. Dyno's - quick as the RAV but +8 mpg
2003 Odyssey V6 - handy people & cargo mover
1999 F-250 4X4 Diesel - snow plow, Bully Dog chip
2001 F-250 4X4 Diesel - truck camper, TS chip, 20' bike/trike dyno trailer
2004 Suzuki DRZ-400S Dual Sport

It's the pedal (or the handgrip) on the right!!
#3 (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 09:40 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I'd say you need more time adjusting the seat and the steering wheel to find the sweet spot. The dealer likely put some kind of slickum on the leather to make it look nice. You can use Woolite & water to clean the leather. 6 parts water to one part Woolite for extremely dirty, 8 to 1 for medium, 10 to 1 for light dirt. A good cleaning should lessen the slip n slide.

The leather seats are encased in a thin film of plastic so "leather products" never reach the leather. Products like Aerospace 303 can be used on the seats as well as the dash and practically the whole interior.

Don't have an answer for the lumpy seats other than having new foam installed at an upholstery shop. It's possible that the cold is affecting the feel and warmer weather might soften them up a bit.

Old Bird......sometimes wise
2008 Base V-6 front wheel drive
2008 Limited V-6 front wheel drive
Both with Tow Prep Package
#4 (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 09:43 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Speaking of the Volvo P1800s (I had three) and your Guardian Angel line, my pastor used to say, "Fred will be late for the Rapture because the Lord will have to catch up to him first!"
I had a 544 back in the 60's (along with many other Volvos) and it was one of the best cars I ever owned....still miss it today. It didn't have air conditioning but I lived in Hawaii so it wasn't missed... but for that same reason I chose not to bring it back to Texas.

Old Bird......sometimes wise
2008 Base V-6 front wheel drive
2008 Limited V-6 front wheel drive
Both with Tow Prep Package
#5 (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 09:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Dyno View Post
... on mine there's a lumbar setting via a lever on the right side of the seat back.
Sorry, that's on my Accord. My RAV4 Limited doesn't have it.
#6 (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 10:39 AM

A couple things regarding the leather seats. They will loosen up over time and not seem as tight (had two recent cars with leather seats) but it usually comes with a lot of breaking in from seat time, which sounds like it'll be your wife doing most of the driving, so it's going to take a lot longer than if you're the one driving it daily. I know we all come in different shapes an sizes, and in my case my wife is almost a foot shorter and 100lbs lighter than me, so it's going to take a long, long time for her seats to loosen up and fit better. It's her commuter car and I'll be doing the same as you, the occasional run around town or trips to the in-laws about 200 miles away.

Also the leather is much stiffer and harder in the winter time, so that's contributing to it as well, especially if the car is parked outside in the cold verses in a garage where the temps aren't quite as cold.

I've always had great results with both Mothers and Meguiars products, so I'd recommend a leather conditioner from one of them and give some time to break in some more.

Also, regarding the seating position, I know what you mean about feeling like you're sitting high and the steering wheel is low. I'm 6'3" with long legs, so it's the same for me especially coming out of my Mazdaspeed6 which sits pretty low for a sports sedan and going into her Rav, it feels pretty odd at first, but the more you drive it the more you'll get used to it. Any new car, at least for me, always seems slightly uncomfortable at first until your body adjusts to the new angles/adjustment.

Hope that helps.

2009 Rav4 Sport V6 4x4 Classic Silver Metallic | Black Leather | Sport Appearance Package | OEM Tube Steps | OEM Roof Rack
2007 Mazdaspeed6 Sport Velocity Red Mica | AWD | 2.3L Turbo | 6spd Manual | Lots of Modifications
#7 (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 11:06 AM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperT View Post
....but it usually comes with a lot of breaking in from seat time, which sounds like it'll be your wife doing most of the driving, so it's going to take a lot longer than if you're the one driving it daily.
Well.... perhaps it would break in quicker with her driving... LOL

Ok, didn't think about it being cold, and yeah, I am figuring they cleaned it with something, probably something like Armor All . As for the adjustment, similar to the old Mazda, so that is easy to figure out (as opposed to playing with the climate control for half an hour before finally figuring that out, ha ha.)

And yeah, got the tilt/telescoping wheel figured out, have the same in my Jetta. I really needed telescoping in the old Mazda as I couldn't reach the wheel and still give comfortable leg room. I could only prop an arm on the door sill and hold with the fingers. Now I'm spoiled from my Jetta with a perfect 2 hand driving position.

Can anyone give me an idea about the smart key and starting the vehicle without any electronic gismos? The key removed from the smartkey fob only lets me in the door (went outside with just the key after removing it and couldn't start the car, so I know there isn't anything sensing within that.)

The key thing is just for informational purposes so that I know. I'm old school and hate all this electronic gadgetry in cars today. Give me a manual transmission, no antilock brakes (despise those), a key to turn, knobs on a stereo so I can change stuff without taking my eyes off the road, and for crying out loud, I can flip the stupid mirror myself instead of having the car behind me blind me on every hill when he appears again and it takes too long to dim, LOL.

2010 Toyota Rav4 V6 LTD
#8 (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 11:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrodgers View Post
Well.... perhaps it would break in quicker with her driving... LOL
She doesn't read this forum does she?

Quote:
...(as opposed to playing with the climate control for half an hour before finally figuring that out, ha ha.)
I think you'll find it's pretty much set & forget once you stop fiddling. I really like it on both my RAV4 and Accord.

Quote:
and for crying out loud, I can flip the stupid mirror myself instead of having the car behind me blind me on every hill when he appears again and it takes too long to dim, LOL.
Agreed! Fortunately mine doesn't have one. My Forester did. I replaced it with a manual one from eBay.

Fred
2006 RAV4 V6 4WD Red Limited - wife's
2006 Accord V6 Hybrid - Dr. Dyno's - quick as the RAV but +8 mpg
2003 Odyssey V6 - handy people & cargo mover
1999 F-250 4X4 Diesel - snow plow, Bully Dog chip
2001 F-250 4X4 Diesel - truck camper, TS chip, 20' bike/trike dyno trailer
2004 Suzuki DRZ-400S Dual Sport

It's the pedal (or the handgrip) on the right!!
#9 (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 11:29 AM
DVS
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrodgers View Post
Can anyone give me an idea about the smart key and starting the vehicle without any electronic gismos? The key removed from the smartkey fob only lets me in the door (went outside with just the key after removing it and couldn't start the car, so I know there isn't anything sensing within that.)

The key thing is just for informational purposes so that I know. I'm old school and hate all this electronic gadgetry in cars today. Give me a manual transmission, no antilock brakes (despise those), a key to turn, knobs on a stereo so I can change stuff without taking my eyes off the road, and for crying out loud, I can flip the stupid mirror myself instead of having the car behind me blind me on every hill when he appears again and it takes too long to dim, LOL.
If the battery in the SmartKey dies, hold the SmartKey next to the Start button and step on the brake for about 8-10 seconds.

The vehicle will use induction to send enough energy to the SmartKey to get it to send back the proper ID, and the car will start.

You may find these short SmartKey videos quite helpful:

" title="2011 | Toyota | RAV4 | Start With Dead Smart Key Battery | How To by Toyota City Minneapolis MN - YouTube" target="_blank">2011 | Toyota | RAV4 | Start With Dead Smart Key Battery | How To by Toyota City Minneapolis MN - YouTube

" title="2011 | Toyota | RAV4 | Lock & Unlock Doors Using Smart Key | How To by Toyota City Minneapolis MN - YouTube" target="_blank">2011 | Toyota | RAV4 | Lock & Unlock Doors Using Smart Key | How To by Toyota City Minneapolis MN - YouTube

" title="2011 | Toyota | RAV4 | Unlock Door Manually | How To by Toyota City Minneapolis MN - YouTube" target="_blank">2011 | Toyota | RAV4 | Unlock Door Manually | How To by Toyota City Minneapolis MN - YouTube

" title="2011 | Toyota | RAV4 | Reprogram Smart Key Unlocking Feature | How To by Toyota City Minneapolis MN - YouTube" target="_blank">2011 | Toyota | RAV4 | Reprogram Smart Key Unlocking Feature | How To by Toyota City Minneapolis MN - YouTube

Silver 2012 RAV4 Limited V6 4WD with Tow Prep and OEM Hitch.

Long live the RAV4 V6!
The Following User Says Thank You to DVS For This Useful Post:
Phrede (01-28-2013)
#10 (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 12:10 PM

(Thread Starter)
Hey, great videos, I'll have a look at home.

Yesterday I walked to my car and thought, what is this little black panel on the handle, and I pressed it. ARRGGG!!!!!!! I couldn't get into the car! Then read later that it is the door lock and you have to wait 3 seconds before it will unlock again, LOL.

One final question. I knew I had one but forgot what it was. If you exit the vehicle and walk away with the smart key in your pocket, does it passively lock itself after a set time, something like how the auto headlights turn off after you exit after x seconds? I've had alarm systems in the past that had passive arming where it would lock and arm if you didn't actively arm it. Something like that?

2010 Toyota Rav4 V6 LTD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page