Rav4 Remote Starter Installed - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.3 General Discuss anything RAV4.3 related that doesn't fit in the categories below.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 01-28-2013, 10:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
Rav4 Remote Starter Installed

Hey Everyone,

A while back I asked about using an aftermarket/eBay remote starter that uses the factory keyfob and no one on here had yet installed/used one.

I finally broke down, bought it and got it installed tonight.

The eBay Listing for the one I bought

The actual product install guide

$99 and so far it works perfectly. It is a 'Flashlogic' brand and is made by Audiovox. Install took a little over an hour (This was outside in the dark). This was my first remote starter install. Sorry no pics.

The nice part about buying it from this seller is that the module is already programmed for our cars. This is a remote starter AND immobilizer bypass all in one. Many times this is two separate components to buy. Also, this kit came with all the harnesses/wires that are unnecessary taped off and a quick instruction guide. This was also the only kit I could find that specifically said it was made for a Rav4 WITH smart key AND push button start.

The install was fairly simple. 6 wire splices and a ground.

-3 wires spliced in to the ECU behind fuse box cover for Ignition, 12v constant, and the start/stop button.

-2 wires just underneath the ECU at the OBD2 port for CAN-Hi and CAN-Lo signals.

-1 wire to the parking light switch in the steering column. Bottom of column just pops off.

-1 wire to the ground bolt behind the drivers kick panel

I used those little plastic automotive grade wiretaps for the splices. The start/stop button wire is on the back of the ECU panel so you need to slither into the footwell to see what you're doing.

Also, the kit comes with a 'hood open' switch that is supposed to tell the module if the hood is open. I didn't want to run that whole ordeal and just didn't connect the wire to anything. The switch just grounds the wire if the hood is opened. More for insurance/legal reasons they probably had to do this. Kind of like the parking brake wire for aftermarket gps/dvd units.

As for the operation itself, press lock button 3x and it starts. Another 3x to shut it off. Open the door, the engine/car shuts off (Which is fine).

Also, you can change settings on the module like the run time. Default is 15min. You can set it in 5min increments up to 35 minutes. You can change the lock/unlock settings for when you start/shutdown.

Any questions, let me know. Just wanted to let everyone know that there is an easy and relatively cheap alternative to the VIP Remote Starter out there. Works great, very clean install. I was a bit hesitant to do this myself since I've seen other kits with an insane level of complexity. All the necessary wires were nicely heat shrinked/wrapped and the kit even included an extra set of REALLY simple instructions that are much easier than the official guide that I linked earlier. This is my favorite mod to the Rav4 so far. Would highly recommend for any Limited owner.

2009 Rav4 Limited V6 AWD Blizzard Pearl - AVIC-Z130BT

Last edited by mikeinnj; 01-29-2013 at 09:06 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mikeinnj For This Useful Post:
Dr. Dyno (01-29-2013), SteveNYC (02-09-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 01-29-2013, 12:03 AM
Your Humble Administrator

Thanked 1,138 Times in 823 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Thanks for the great review, Mike! Does this seller also have a version for the non-smart key versions? Also, your second link doesn't work for me. I get a 401 error:

Authorization Required

This server could not verify that you are authorized to access the document you requested. Either you supplied the wrong credentials (e.g., bad password), or your browser doesn't understand how to supply the credentials required.

James

2008 Limited V6 2WD "The Silver Bullet"

#3 (permalink) Old 01-29-2013, 07:30 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
superb! I would have done the same. I already got mine installed last year by a pro.
But I love what you did.

May be the hood wire is used to prevent someone from starting the car with the remote while someone is working in the engine bay.
I know I don't have this feature on my remote.

2008 Base Rav4, 4 Cylinder, 4WD
My upgrades Allen Spare tire Bike Rack
Currently listening to "Europe" - Wings of Tomorrow
#4 (permalink) Old 01-29-2013, 08:32 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Thanks for the post! An hour is almost unbelievable!
I spent more like a day in my nice lighted garage a couple years ago installing my add-on remote starter. And my field is electronics.
This kit and the specific instructions are obviously quite a bit more user friendly.

I'd install the hood pin if I was you. It is a safety item.

On mine I defeated both the shutoff on opening the door (for which you must use the physical key on my non-pushbutton model) and on touching the brake pedal. Seemed to me it just meant an extra start every time. But it did cause a surprise problem. I figured you had to insert the key and turn it to unlock the steering anyway so you couldn't drive off remote started. Turns out you can unlock the steering by turning the key one position to ACC but you haven't turned the ignition on until the second position. Wife called saying the car just completely died a mile or so from home. NOT GOOD.
She thought she turned the key two clicks but obviously had only done one. It doesn't happen often since I have the run time set to 5 minutes and it has often timed out before she leaves. But I guess I better hook one of the shutoffs back up to wifeproof it.

Fred
2006 RAV4 V6 4WD Red Limited - wife's
2006 Accord V6 Hybrid - Dr. Dyno's - quick as the RAV but +8 mpg
2003 Odyssey V6 - handy people & cargo mover
1999 F-250 4X4 Diesel - snow plow, Bully Dog chip
2001 F-250 4X4 Diesel - truck camper, TS chip, 20' bike/trike dyno trailer
2004 Suzuki DRZ-400S Dual Sport

It's the pedal (or the handgrip) on the right!!
#5 (permalink) Old 01-29-2013, 08:37 AM

(Thread Starter)
I fixed the install guide link for those interested.

The seller looks to only have the kit for Push button start Rav4s. However, finding a kit for a Rav4 without push button seems a lot easier. I found one from a different seller that looks to have the same exact module in the picture (The 'Omegalink' module has the exact same ports on it) but is for regular ignition Rav4s.

Add Remote Start to Your Toyota Use Your Factory Remotes to Start The Car | eBay

As for the hood switch, I would have to drill into some part of the plastic trim somewhere along where the hood meets the engine bay. That and run the wire through the firewall. I may connect it this spring if I get ambitious. I'll probably be adding a small subwoofer and thus running a power cable through the firewall.

2009 Rav4 Limited V6 AWD Blizzard Pearl - AVIC-Z130BT
#6 (permalink) Old 01-29-2013, 11:09 AM
Advanced Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuneBug View Post
Thanks for the great review, Mike! Does this seller also have a version for the non-smart key versions? Also, your second link doesn't work for me. I get a 401 error:

Authorization Required

This server could not verify that you are authorized to access the document you requested. Either you supplied the wrong credentials (e.g., bad password), or your browser doesn't understand how to supply the credentials required.
Here it is. Hope this helps.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf FLC-AL(RS)-TL1-EN-8108.pdf (1,014.2 KB, 81 views)
#7 (permalink) Old 01-29-2013, 11:28 AM
KTL

That's interesting that you don't need to cut the starter wire to interrupt the signal. If you don't want to drill through the plastic and metal for the hood switch, you can always get a mercury tilt switch as a replacement. I've used those before during my mobile installation period and they seem to work well. But I'm not sure what's the angle of tilt that would trigger it during an incline/uphill.
#8 (permalink) Old 07-12-2013, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeinnj View Post

As for the operation itself, press lock button 3x and it starts. Another 3x to shut it off. Open the door, the engine/car shuts off (Which is fine).
So the remote start shuts down when the door is open via the remote or key?
#9 (permalink) Old 07-12-2013, 03:51 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I believe the car goes off once the door is the door is physically opened, a bit like what the OEM remote starter does.

2008 Base Rav4, 4 Cylinder, 4WD
My upgrades Allen Spare tire Bike Rack
Currently listening to "Europe" - Wings of Tomorrow
#10 (permalink) Old 02-12-2014, 11:28 PM

Talking

Had to post this if for no reason than to laugh.

mikeinnj's post caused me to look into getting the same remote starter he got since I too have a 2009 RAV4 Limited V6 AWD (even the color is the same!). So if it worked for him, it should work for me, right?

Went to BestBuy near me and they had it for $100 plus a $100 install charge. I was happy with that, so I went with it.

The install appointment was today and after 3 hours of work by the lead tech, he couldn't get the unit to work properly.

Why? Because... as he found out, my car already HAD a factory OEM remote starter in it. Hell, I didn't know that. The car was bought used. I always said the dealer didn't know what they were selling since they didn't advertise the bluetooth that it had or the reverse camera that it had or the fact that it had leather (they said cloth).

Better yet, the BestBuy tech reversed all the charges. I didn't pay a cent other than the tip I gave him as a thank you.

So let's hear it for year old threads.... they lead to great discoveries!

Bizarre... I know...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page