Rattling noise from the dashboard/windshield - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.3 General Discuss anything RAV4.3 related that doesn't fit in the categories below.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 01-30-2013, 02:27 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
Rattling noise from the dashboard/windshield

I own a 2010 Rav4. I have been hearing this rattle noise from the driver's side near the dashboard/windshield.

Here's the video.

" title="noise - YouTube" target="_blank">noise - YouTube

The noise can be heard starting at 9 seconds. It almost sounds like a morse code. I checked the dash, but it is not rattling.

I took the vehicle in three times already, but the dealer can't seem to find the origin of the noise. A pillar has been replaced, but the noise still remains..

I love my Rav4, but I just can't stand this awful sound. Could this be related to the valve TSB? Is there anything behind the instrumental panel that can rattle while driving?

Any advice is appreciated!

Last edited by eecs; 01-30-2013 at 08:25 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 02-07-2013, 02:02 PM

Does it almost sound like a very faint computer/whistle sound???? I have that some problem
#3 (permalink) Old 02-07-2013, 05:25 PM

Are you certain it's from the instrument panel? There are a lot of surfaces for noises to bounce around from there - it can be a little deceiving.

I once had a rattling noise in my RAV that I traced back to a pebble that was trapped on the plastic cowl cover at the base of the windshield under the hood. I was ready to tear my dashboard out to fix that!

In a previous vehicle I also got rattling sounds right after the windshield was replaced - it turns out one of the headliner clips had let go and was allowing a small rattle to take place. Once that was pushed back in, I had no more annoying noises.

Good luck with your search - I too find small squeaks and rattles extremely irritating. I figure that for the money I paid for my RAV, the least Toyota could give me was a quiet interior. I think I've been pretty fortunate thus far - I haven't had problems with that (or really anything else).

2009 RAV4 Base/V6/AWD/Black

Be kind to everyone you meet - not because they are a nice person, but because you are.
The Following User Says Thank You to CroMath For This Useful Post:
eecs (02-10-2013)
#4 (permalink) Old 02-10-2013, 05:02 PM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroMath View Post
Are you certain it's from the instrument panel? There are a lot of surfaces for noises to bounce around from there - it can be a little deceiving.

I once had a rattling noise in my RAV that I traced back to a pebble that was trapped on the plastic cowl cover at the base of the windshield under the hood. I was ready to tear my dashboard out to fix that!

In a previous vehicle I also got rattling sounds right after the windshield was replaced - it turns out one of the headliner clips had let go and was allowing a small rattle to take place. Once that was pushed back in, I had no more annoying noises.

Good luck with your search - I too find small squeaks and rattles extremely irritating. I figure that for the money I paid for my RAV, the least Toyota could give me was a quiet interior. I think I've been pretty fortunate thus far - I haven't had problems with that (or really anything else).

CroMath,

I think you have solved this mystery. I am not mechanically inclined, so I dared not to touch anything. But, I poured some water between the windshield and the plastic cover near the driver's side, and the noise suddenly disappeared!!! Then, the noise came back when the water seemed to dry out.

I don't know for sure, but it seems like the plastic cover might be the best place to start an investigation. Thank you!
#5 (permalink) Old 02-12-2013, 10:41 AM

mine has a rattle that sounds like it's coming from the space between the windshield and the dashboard...right about where they meet. It drives me insane because its the whole length of the dashboard, not just in one area. I also have another rattle between the drivers seat and the door. I can't for the life of me locate it, and it's always in my left ear the whole drive to work. When I take her in for her first oil change, they're going to have a list of rattles to address. That's the only real disappointing thing.
#6 (permalink) Old 02-12-2013, 10:56 AM

I had a rattle that was coming from drivers side, windsheild area....turned out that it was the exterior trim at the top corner of the windsheild was loose, and was rattleing in the wind, glass can really affect sound...
#7 (permalink) Old 02-13-2013, 07:54 PM

I've had a rattle on that trim piece, haven't tried to solve it, I heard someone say put a little drop of oil or wd-40 between the plastic and the glass. I haven't tried it yet.

#8 (permalink) Old 02-14-2013, 01:20 AM
Your Humble Administrator

Thanked 1,064 Times in 773 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostwolf View Post
I've had a rattle on that trim piece, haven't tried to solve it, I heard someone say put a little drop of oil or wd-40 between the plastic and the glass. I haven't tried it yet.
Don't use petroleum based lubricants like WD-40 on plastic. Use silicone spray instead.

James

2008 Limited V6 2WD "The Silver Bullet"

#9 (permalink) Old 04-30-2013, 10:22 AM

My solution to rattling noise

Hello-
I visited this site when I was first trying to figure out the noise coming from what appeared to be the dash in my 2008 Rav4 so I thought I would post my solution.

I bought my Rav in March 2013 and a week into driving it, I noticed an extremely annoying rattling/creaking noise in the passenger side of the dash board when I went over bumps. The car was still under warrenty so I took it to the dealership. Since the noise wasn't present all of the time, when they drove the car with me, they of course didn't hear the noise. The service tech took apart the dash and felted all the plastic pieces that might have been rubbing against each other and producing a noise.

The next day, the noise came back. Since I don't live close to the dealership I waited a month before taking it back again and demanded that they take the car and drive it until they heard the noise. They gave me a rental in the meantime. That same day, the tech heard the noise and noticed it seemed to be coming from the upper windshield. He looked up a TSP called "windshield ticking" and there were instructions on how to fix it. According to the notes, he pulled down the front visors and removed both the retainers that guided the windshield into place when it was installed (following the TSP). He road tested it and the noise was gone and then drove it with me later and the noise was still gone.

I have had it now for a few days and there has been no noise so I am confident that this was the problem. THANK GOODNESS!

I wanted to post this because the noise was driving me insane and I hope this can help others solve their problems as well!
#10 (permalink) Old 04-30-2013, 11:50 AM
Your Humble Administrator

Thanked 1,064 Times in 773 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliz1040 View Post
Hello-
I visited this site when I was first trying to figure out the noise coming from what appeared to be the dash in my 2008 Rav4 so I thought I would post my solution.

I bought my Rav in March 2013 and a week into driving it, I noticed an extremely annoying rattling/creaking noise in the passenger side of the dash board when I went over bumps. The car was still under warrenty so I took it to the dealership. Since the noise wasn't present all of the time, when they drove the car with me, they of course didn't hear the noise. The service tech took apart the dash and felted all the plastic pieces that might have been rubbing against each other and producing a noise.

The next day, the noise came back. Since I don't live close to the dealership I waited a month before taking it back again and demanded that they take the car and drive it until they heard the noise. They gave me a rental in the meantime. That same day, the tech heard the noise and noticed it seemed to be coming from the upper windshield. He looked up a TSP called "windshield ticking" and there were instructions on how to fix it. According to the notes, he pulled down the front visors and removed both the retainers that guided the windshield into place when it was installed (following the TSP). He road tested it and the noise was gone and then drove it with me later and the noise was still gone.

I have had it now for a few days and there has been no noise so I am confident that this was the problem. THANK GOODNESS!

I wanted to post this because the noise was driving me insane and I hope this can help others solve their problems as well!
Glad to hear you got it fixed! I think this is the TSB you mentioned:

T-SB-0142-08 Rev1/Upper/Lower Windshield/Rear Glass Tick Noise

James

2008 Limited V6 2WD "The Silver Bullet"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page