Towing capacity - Page 3 - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.3 Exterior Tires, Wheels, Lights, Spoilers, Flares, Bars, Tow Hitches, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-06-2013, 09:47 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
No problem unless you put in several kitchen sinks.

Fred
2006 RAV4 V6 4WD Red Limited - wife's
2006 Accord V6 Hybrid - Dr. Dyno's - quick as the RAV but +8 mpg
2003 Odyssey V6 - handy people & cargo mover
1999 F-250 4X4 Diesel - snow plow, Bully Dog chip
2001 F-250 4X4 Diesel - truck camper, TS chip, 20' bike/trike dyno trailer
2004 Suzuki DRZ-400S Dual Sport
1968 Volvo 1800S

It's the pedal (or the handgrip) on the right!!

"If you really believe you get what you pay for there's no such thing as a good deal."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-21-2016, 12:21 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Now that the 2016 hybrid Rav4 is out, there's some question about its towing capacity with the Toyota hitch. Some things in favor of raising the towing capacity are:

* No torque converter or clutches in the Hybrid Synergy Drive system

* Standard anti-sway system built into the traction control/vehicle stability control system

* Higher net HP than the standard I4 (Up to 194 HP from the conventional 176)

* Dynamic braking from the electric motors to reduce load on conventional friction brakes

* Additional vehicle weight over conventional powertrain (especially at rear axle)

* No additional battery capacity, charging capacity, starting capacity or cooling capacity required for hybrid - it's already built in

So what do you say? I'd say the standard I4's 1500 pound capacity could be safely increased to 1750 or maybe even 2000 pounds. Sound about right?

Click below for details

Bob in Massachusetts
2016 Rav4 XLE Hybrid
post #23 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-21-2016, 08:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST-Bob View Post
Now that the 2016 hybrid Rav4 is out, there's some question about its towing capacity with the Toyota hitch. Some things in favor of raising the towing capacity are:

* No torque converter or clutches in the Hybrid Synergy Drive system

* Standard anti-sway system built into the traction control/vehicle stability control system

* Higher net HP than the standard I4 (Up to 194 HP from the conventional 176)

* Dynamic braking from the electric motors to reduce load on conventional friction brakes

* Additional vehicle weight over conventional powertrain (especially at rear axle)

* No additional battery capacity, charging capacity, starting capacity or cooling capacity required for hybrid - it's already built in

So what do you say? I'd say the standard I4's 1500 pound capacity could be safely increased to 1750 or maybe even 2000 pounds. Sound about right?
You posted this in the wrong forum...many of us here have the v6 and laugh at 1500 lbs towing capacities...try posting in the 4.4 section...

post #24 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-21-2016, 11:58 AM
DVS
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST-Bob View Post
Legally it doesn't matter what you say, it only matters what Toyota says for your country. If you have an accident while towing over capacity, your insurance company may not cover you, and you could get sued.

BTW, Edmunds says the towing capacity is rated at 1750 lbs (in North America).

2016 Toyota RAV4 Hybrid SUV Features & Specs | Edmunds

Other articles and apparently Toyota Canada also agree with that number.

But the Toyota web site (for USA) says it's 1500 lbs, and that's what counts since you're in the USA.

Toyota RAV4 - 2016 Models: Weights/Capacities (about 1/2 way down)

Silver 2012 RAV4 Limited V6 4WD with Tow Prep (3500 lbs towing capacity!), OEM Hitch, Remote Start and Dashcam.

Long live the RAV4 V6!
Best. Vehicle. Ever.
post #25 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-21-2016, 02:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVS View Post
Legally it doesn't matter what you say, it only matters what Toyota says for your country. If you have an accident while towing over capacity, your insurance company may not cover you, and you could get sued.

Have a look at your insurance policy. I'm reasonably sure there are no exclusions for towing over the rated tow limit. I know mine has nothing like that in it. Towing over the rated limit is against the law in at least one state, but most states have no laws against it. I'm not advocating towing over the limit, but other than some extra wear and tear, it's really not a big deal.

One easy and simple way to increase the tow capacity on any car is to fit smaller diameter/lower profile/high performance tires. They increase the torque (at the wheels), reduce the load on the engine, transmission and axles, increase the braking power, increase the traction, lower the center of gravity, and have more wet and dry traction than standard tires.
post #26 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-21-2016, 03:58 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R View Post
Have a look at your insurance policy. I'm reasonably sure there are no exclusions for towing over the rated tow limit. I know mine has nothing like that in it. Towing over the rated limit is against the law in at least one state, but most states have no laws against it. I'm not advocating towing over the limit, but other than some extra wear and tear, it's really not a big deal.

One easy and simple way to increase the tow capacity on any car is to fit smaller diameter/lower profile/high performance tires. They increase the torque (at the wheels), reduce the load on the engine, transmission and axles, increase the braking power, increase the traction, lower the center of gravity, and have more wet and dry traction than standard tires.
I'd feel better with a bigger vehicle.
post #27 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-21-2016, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenuer View Post
I'd feel better with a bigger vehicle.
I hear ya, I tow with a diesel GMC....
post #28 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-21-2016, 10:30 PM

I just bought a Draw-Tite "Max-Frame" 75235 from etrailer along with a light kit and J-pin kit. I previously installed a Curt aftermarket on an 06 Rav4 V6 but the Draw-Tite has higher weight capacities even though I have no intention of going near the 675 tongue weight or 4500 towing capacity. In fact since my new 08 Rav4 V6 does not have the tow prep, I'll limit my towing to the 2000 limit. Anyone have any issues with an aftermarket hitch besides they don't look as custom fit as the factory one? I'm ok saving $300 that I'll put towards a new set of Michelins .

2008 Rav4 Ltd V6 w/ 113k

2010 Honda Accord LX

2000 Lexus LX470 w/211 K

2003 Quintrex 420 Dory w/Honda 30 Outboard
post #29 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-22-2016, 03:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin40g View Post
I just bought a Draw-Tite "Max-Frame" 75235 from etrailer along with a light kit and J-pin kit. I previously installed a Curt aftermarket on an 06 Rav4 V6 but the Draw-Tite has higher weight capacities even though I have no intention of going near the 675 tongue weight or 4500 towing capacity. In fact since my new 08 Rav4 V6 does not have the tow prep, I'll limit my towing to the 2000 limit. Anyone have any issues with an aftermarket hitch besides they don't look as custom fit as the factory one? I'm ok saving $300 that I'll put towards a new set of Michelins .
The only real way to tell a Toyota hitch from aftermarket is to look underneath it...the factory hitch doesn't seem much if any different from an aftermarket one...no way was I just gonna throw money away for the stock hitch...
post #30 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-22-2016, 08:56 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
All the aftermarket hitches just attach to the frame (box frame made of sheet metal in the unibody vehicles). They have heavy round or square tubes extending from the mounting plates to the central receiver and are all designed to extend well below the rear bumper cover for clearance.

Toyota's factory hitch replaces the extruded aluminum crash bar inside the plastic bumper cover and has heavy multi-plate steel U-shaped plates which extend underneath the sheet metal of the body's rear lip and connect to stiffener plates which wrap around the box frame sections, strengthening them considerably.

In my opinion, there's no fair comparison between aftermarket and factory receiver hitches. The factory hitch hardly impacts the departure angle of the vehicle over obstacles while all the aftermarket ones all hang down below the bodywork and definitely reduce ground clearance at the rear.

The aftermarket hitches also do nothing to strengthen the box frame which can lead to excessive bending forces on bumpy roads and can more easily cause damage to the frame in a rear end fender-bender. This just happened to me in my last car (2012 Prius V) with an aftermarket hitch. The rear end collision caused over $7000 in damage which could be directly attributed to the hitch bending the box frame sections. If the hitch hadn't been installed (according to the body shop) the frame probably would not have been bent but other body damage may have resulted. It's a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation.

I feel that if you're going to pull anything more than a light utility or single motorcycle trailer with your Rav4, you should pay the extra for the factory hitch. Most aftermarket hitches are about $100 to $150 while the Toyota PZQ64-42096 hitch can be had for around $450 from discount dealers online. I think it'll be worth the extra $300-$350 myself for peace of mind. I'll be towing a teardrop trailer which, even dry, weighs over 1500 pounds. No cheap aftermarket hitches for me...

Click below for details

Bob in Massachusetts
2016 Rav4 XLE Hybrid
The Following User Says Thank You to ST-Bob For This Useful Post:
DVS (02-22-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page