Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

2006-12 OEM JDM HID Headlights from Japan

205K views 582 replies 51 participants last post by  govtec 
#1 · (Edited)
2006-12 OEM JDM HID ( Factory Xenon) Headlights from Japan

I think this subject deserves it's own thread plus I get pm's all the time asking for links, so below I have pasted the text from my posts from another thread:

Ok, below are the links for the headlights and ballast's, The headlights for the 2006-08 are Ichikoh 42-38, the ones for 09-12 are Ichikoh 42-47 this applies to North & South American rav4's (European Rav4's up to 2009 models). They are from the same seller I used, also make sure you use the buying service website to do a proper translation for you, they will also make the purchase for you as well as arrange for the shipping. You can also search the following keywords on buyee.jp : rav4 ヘッドライト (headlight), rav4 42-38, rav4 42-47, aca31 ヘッドライト (headlight), aca36 ヘッドライト

Here are the 2 different types:

2006-08 (Ichikoh 42-38 )

2009-12 (Ichikoh 42-47)

As for the ballast's you will need to buy a square looking one that has a little slit in one corner, some of the ballasts even include the gaskets and screws, trust me you should buy the ballast's from Japan because there are a lot of chinese fakes online (ebay, amazon).

I also wanted to mention that when I received my headlights I looked inside at the cutoff plate and it was written RHD HID plus I saw that it was -------\________ which is RHD cutoff, then I saw that there are only 4 screws that were holding the reflector bowl, once I removed the reflector bowl I flipped the cutoff plate 180 and it fit perfect and to my surprise it was actually written LHD HID, so I guess Toyota was in doing that.

All other parts required can be found here and here
Parts required:

Headlights x2 ****Make sure the headlights come with the round headlamp covers for the back!!!!!! If they are shown in the photo then they will almost certainly be included, if not go here and you can buy some.
Ballast's x2 Part #: 85967-06020 (New ones cost around $175 each)
Gasket x2 Part #: 90075-68007
Screw x8 Part #: 90075-02056
Socket, Clearance Lamp x2 Part #: 81138-52570
Clearance socket connector x2 Part #: 90080-98298
Socket, Front Turn Signal Lamp x2 Part #: 81515-42050
Turn Socket Connector x2 Part #: 90980-11019
Terminal Repair Wire x8 Part #: 82998-12440
Triangular Female Connector x2 Big thanks to avs for part #: 90980-11016
OEM Toshiba HID bulbs x2 or Philips D4S (42402)
Buyee.jp
Buying/shipping service (Register here to buy from Yahoo Japan)

Optional: Headlamp Cover Part number 81135-52480 (you will need this if only if you receive a headlight with a missing bulb cover for the HID bulb opening) Thanks to Zuppy for confirming correct part number and fitment.

Optional: If you want to make use of the headlamp leveling motors then you will need the following items:
Leveling Switch Part #: 84152-52080
Switch Connector Part #: 90980-11950
Leveling Switch Wires x4 Part #: 82998-12690
Headlamp Leveling Motor Connector x2 Part #: 90080-98028
BIG Thanks to Trusa for the part numbers, much appreciated!

Use kennyc's guide to make your wiring for the turn signal and clearance lights. Thanks to kennyc for the wiring guide.

Optional: If you don't want to mess up your factory pigtail (the one mentioned in kennyc's wiring guide) for the city & clearance lights, then you can buy a connector and the terminal wires and then you won't need to mess with your USDM factory headlights. Below are the links and part numbers:
City/Clearance Harness Connector x2 Part #: 90980-10941
Terminal Repair Wire x8 Part #: 82998-12430

I paid 7000jpy ($70) for both ballast's and 8400jpy ($84) for each headlight.
Here are photos (from camera phone) of my output and cutoff:

How to adjust HID cutoff: http://www.theretrofitsource.com/diy-installation-guides/aiming-guide.html

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/130317-**how-properly-aim-projector-headlights**.html

Optional: Leveling Motors "How to guide" This is very useful and IMO a necessary option if you tow frequently or you have a Third row equipped 4.3. Thank you SirTampers

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Here is one of the questions I received:
"how does the ballast connect to the car? i know the circular head connects to bulb base. there is 2 more wires, i assume connect to the headlight plug?"

Answer:
Usually the headlights from japan include these and you can buy some http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-OEM-Lex...Parts_Accessories&hash=item35bb718ff4&vxp=mtr , the original one that comes with the headlight has two connectors, one end looks like the one in the link and the other end plugs into the inside of the headlight which leads to plug on the outside where you would connect your modified http://www.ebay.com/itm/2X-NEW-9006...Parts_Accessories&hash=item58939d6270&vxp=mtr , modified because on the one end you would need to add female quick disconnects in order to plug them into the headlight which would feed power to the ballast.

Question: Why do I need additional sockets?
Answer: Check out the following thread http://www.rav4world.com/forums/97-4-3-exterior/85782-euro-projector-retrofit.html

Question: How do I register on Yahoo Japan in order to shop?
Answer: No need to register on Yahoo Japan, just register on www.buyee.jp and they will complete the purchase for you as well as shipping to your home address.

Reactions: jonquac
#4 ·
Sorry I didn't take pictures :wall

#5 ·
Successfully purchased 2 headlights and ballast.

I bought D2R/D2S Ballast instead of D4R/D4S because D2S Bulbs offer my preferred kelvin rating of 5000k. (and many others)

This headlamp just like many north american Lexus/Toyota with factory hid that ONLY accepts D4R/S bulbs.

The D2S bulb will require little trimming of it's notch to fit into the headlamp.

And just a note: the ballasts are not interchangeable between D2 and D4 bulbs. I.E. a D4 ballast cannot power up a D2 bulb and vice versa due to different voltages at start up.

There are no noticeable differences in terms of light output between the 2 bulbs, and again the main reason I opted for D2 was solely for colour variety. D4 bulbs only come in 4300k and I believe it is the OEM bulb in most if not all in HID factory equipped japanese vehicles.

#6 ·
Another thing I should mention, D4R/D2R bulbs are for reflector based headlights that's why the "R" stands for reflector, also the D4R/D2R bulbs have a little black strip in the bulb lens which is meant to shield the added glare so it can be used in reflector based headlights. These type of bulbs should not be used on projector based headlights. So if anyone wants to do this project make sure you buy D4S/D2S bulbs. Auto makers now only use D4 type bulbs because they are mercury free. D2 bulbs contain mercury. Oem Toyota/Lexus bulbs are made by Harrison Toshiba and they can be purchased here .

Here is the difference:

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

Reactions: KSNancy and calvinm
#8 ·
Why would you need to use a proxy to look for auto parts? I'm pretty sure it's not against the law/prohibited in any country to visit auto parts websites.

#14 ·
Please read the first post and use the provided links. No need to register on Yahoo Japan.

#16 ·
#18 ·
Very nice, I see the color flickering effect you were asking me about ;-) How's the cutoff, I assume it's like mine?

#24 ·
That would be nice if you could get the power leveling working, I did some searching a while back and I did find the part number to the connector that plugs into the leveling motor, the switch is easy because I think some Toyota models in the US have them. I'm just not sure on the wiring.

#28 ·
Those look brand new! Very clean.

#29 ·
I just detailed her last night. I figured I might as well show her off a little.

I acquired a set of euro-spec, LHD (continental) projectors from ebay.uk a while back. I installed a set of HID's in them. I also installed HID's in the ebay fog lights. You can't see from the pics but they also has the lamp guard protection (the thick kind) on headlamps and fogs.

I am aware of the HID in reflectors. I don't use them unless it gets REAL dark with no oncoming traffic.

Here she is.

#30 ·
Hey Kenny, nice to see you here. She sure does look nice and shiny, absolutely worth showing her off :D
Those headlight protectors you have, are they like hard clear plastic? How do they attach? Do you know where I can buy a set for myself? I found these protectors on eBay Australia but the sellers won't ship to the US. I have 3m film on mine but that would only protect against the sun and small rock chips from pitting the plastic, I would like to add some protection against larger stones and road debris. My mom's Camry had the 3m but some road debris hit one of her headlights and it broke.

#32 ·
I never knew weathertech made this stuff, if I had known I would have used this instead of the 3m. Good stuff but I'm not going to get these because I don't think that they are thick enough to protect the headlights from a hard/high speed impact from road debris, if it was like the hard plastic one's they sell in Australia then that would have been my choice. Also, these wouldn't fit the headlights for 2009-12 because the headlights from Europe or Japan don't have those big bulging ridges like the one's here in north America (which is the one's they probably sell). They would however be ok for all 2006-08. Thanks you for letting us know about the new product.

#33 ·
oh they are very thick but I do agree they will be pain in the ass if not impossible to fit the headlights for your MY.

I installed these the same way they install clear bra - use a hair dryer to soften it up, soak the headlamp with 50/50 distilled water/alcohol solution and install them with silicone squeegee. The e-code still have a small ridge and it's painful to mold to that ridge.

#34 ·
Well I don't have the big ridges, just the small one's so I guess they would fit the European and Japanese headlights. I'm just not sure they'll be tough enough to protect against a high speed flying object. I know for sure the Australian shields would protect the headlight, they would probably break and the headlight would be ok but since the the weathertech stuff is soft and is attached to the headlight, an impact would probably break the headlight, sort of like what happened to my mom's Camry headlight. I'll eventually find a source to buy the hard plastic shields.

#36 ·
The clearance and signal lamps are on one bulb in North America, everywhere else in the world they use separate bulbs and separate sockets for the 4.3 Rav4, so that's why.

Reactions: avs
#39 ·
I used lamin x to protect the glass made fog lights, worked very well and it "recovers" from pits made by debris kinda like the zagg shield for phones.

I imagine the laminx, like 3m works even better on the poly carbonate lens headlight.

I actually got my lights 3 weeks but haven't got around to installing them. Still debating whether it is worth the work to black out the housing.

I am still currently using my retrofit projectors and the housings are blacked out. And on a black car it looks good :p

IIIIIIIIIIIII

#40 ·
You bought JDM headlights? If so, you're thinking about making the inside black? That would look super! Let us know. Thanks.

#46 ·
Yes, that's it. Remove the screws and lift up the reflector bowl, then you'd see the cutoff plate. It's a little tricky because there isn't much space but it's just enough so that it can be flipped.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.