Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Accident

7K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  Abzstrak 
#1 ·
So this past weekend I was in a car wreck or you could say fender bender. I am totally fine but my Rav4 is not. I was on Lakeside and 5th ave downtown coeur dalene when a guy ran the stop sign and hit me. I was traveling on lakeside at 935pm when this occurred. I honestly do not know how the guy did it. I was not speeding and was not cited. But how much time and what do you think about these repairs.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Unless someone here is in the collision repair business we would be guessing at best. Talk to your insurance agent and the repair shop for some semblance of accuracy. Even then it will be off until they tear it down and inspect.

I'll take a guess............$8,000.

#6 ·
The light is fine no cracks or damage to the light no fog lights either. But the whole drive system was messed up lights on and everything. Like ABS, traction, alignment everything. I have insurance but I am a student who just got a job today so with out a car im kind of useless. I have been in accident prior to this (almost 3 years ago) in my 4runner and they should have totaled that since it was old and didnt run very well. But its so frustrating. The other driver did claim fault so that helped. but still!

#9 ·
... I have insurance but I am a student who just got a job today so with out a car im kind of useless.... The other driver did claim fault so that helped....
Have your insurance agent contact their agent and get you a rental car while yours is fixed. Depending on your policy, your own insurance can cover this for you and then settle payment later from the other guys, esp they admitted fault.

Don't know all that is broken, but the bumper cover alone can be around $1K at the dealer. She'll be all right.

#7 ·
I am guessing $1500 - $2500 for bumper, bumper cover, paint, coolant, coolant reservoir, labour.
If the radiator is touched, add another $300.

This hit should not have affected the alignment but I would get one done anyway. Ask your insurance to work with a Toyota affiliated repair shop so that they can run the correct diagnostics.

#10 ·
Same thing happened to me but on driver's side. Some 18-year old kid with expired insurance ran a red light. After the tear down they found damage to the strut, ball joint, and knuckle. The total cost of repairs from the body shop was $3325.47.

#11 ·
That looks like what happened to mine but the fender went missing haha. So I got information today about it. So the impact hit more the tire than the car, so suspension is messed up as well as the shock is bent in and wheel is scuffed up but it should total out to be about 2500 which is crazy. I was curious to why the impact was so soft, but now I know that the driver hit the tire and just clipped the bumper. So he bounced off the tire. Which makes more sense. His insurance has not came through yet and paid but he was insured and claimed it as his fault the night of the accident. And my insurance is waiting to get the paperwork to enterprise so I can rent a car. It wont be done for two weeks if all goes well. But without my rav4 i literally feel powerless. Have a great day guys and girls!

#12 ·
My kid once had an accident and she collided her corolla with a pick-up truck and managed to hit a rear wheel. While her corolla ended up totaled, the pickup almost looked undamaged. But I'm sure there was some damage to suspension, axle, etc inside.

#13 ·
I had a worse front end accident than that last year and the repair shop had my car for more than 5 weeks, even though they estimated 2 weeks. The total cost of the repairs was over $10,000. It wound up costing double what the insurance company claims adjustor originally estimated. They'd probably have totaled out my car had they known otherwise. I'd say there's no way in hell this is getting repaired for less than $6k-8k

Lucky for me I have good car insurance that covers up to $50 per day for a rental car, for 30 days. That got by for the first month, and the repair shop picked up remainder of the rental car tab my insurance couldn't cover. It might be a good idea to add that feature on to your car insurance next time you're up for a policy renewal. Doesn't cost that much more and it certainly comes in handy during situations like you're in now.

Do yourself a favor and make sure your insurance company takes the car to a Toyota dealer! My insurance company (Geico) recommended mine be towed to a local Ford dealer, which was their regional repair shop. I reluctantly agreed, but later regretted the decision. They didn't seem to know what they were doing. They claimed to have a hard time getting certain parts, and they got hung up for an entire week trying to get some steering wheel or air bag sensor light to shut off.

#14 ·
I got the car back about 3 weeks ago. I was happy I got it back but it didnt come with the after market shocks that were already on and the just replaced them with stock. The car does not ride as smoothly and the right side fender under the light has a gap so I am a little pissed off and plus they didnt have the decency to fix the latch/lock part on the upper fender to hold it to the body so its still got a gap there too. I miss it before it got hit. Yeah next time I am taking it to a toyota dealer instead of whats recommended by my insurance.

#15 ·
You should take it back and ask them to fix it they way it should.
Your insurance usually would cover may be $1000 or maybe $2000 of customization which would have covered your shocks.

what is the "latch/lock part"? It seems thaty did not align the fender properly. If I can align a fender by myself, I am sure a shop with several individuals can do a better job than me!
http://www.rav4world.com/forums/members/albums/46097-vanib/driver-fender-replacement-3986.html

If even after aligning the fender the best they can, there is still a gap, they surely did NOT use a CAPA certified part. Your insurance covers CAPA-certified parts, if not OEM parts. But CAPA-certified parts might still have defects in which case that part should be replaced.

Also, most repairs shops provide a lifetime warranty on their work. I would take it and demand the RAV be repaired, as promised by your insurance.

#18 ·
yep, take it back. demand they fix it correctly.

also, never bother taking it to who the insurance company "recommends"... they recommend shops that give them discounts and kickbacks ONLY. They are not in the business of helping you out, they are not being nice guys... they are helping their bottom line only.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.