Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Were the OEM alloys available in 17"?

3K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  rav4system 
#1 ·
I've been looking for a set of alloys for my '06 Base, thinking that I'd use the steel rims for my snows. I've been hoping to find a set of 17" OEM alloys because, IMO (and correct me if I'm mistaken), 17" tires ride smoother than 18s because of the additional sidewall.
So, I found a set of alloys off a 2010 RAV but they're 18". This got me wondering if 17" alloys were even available.
Thanks,
Willie

#5 ·
There were 2 different aluminum 17 wheels available for the 4.3 rav....5 spoke on the value package and 6 spoke on the limited ....the ride on the 18s would not be that bad since you have the base model suspension......the sport gets a lot of it's harsh ride from the suspension as well as the tires......but also remember that with the 18 inch wheels it will handle better......

#9 · (Edited)
...the ride on the 18s would not be that bad since you have the base model suspension......the sport gets a lot of it's harsh ride from the suspension as well as the tires......but also remember that with the 18 inch wheels it will handle better......
I'm all in favor of improving the handling but not if its at the expense of comfort. Knowing that the softer Base suspension is the main reason for the softer ride is comforting (pun intended). I also have to wonder if the diameter of the tire on an 18" rim is going to be larger than a tire mounted on a 17" rim. I'm guessing not because it would require different gearing (or programming?) for the speedometer. Any thoughts on this?
Willie

#6 ·
This is a picture showing the 5-spoke 17" alloys that were available on the Upgrade Value Package for the Base models (this one is a 2011):

I always thought those wheels were reminiscent of the 18" alloys available on the Sport models.

#12 ·
Thanks for proving me wrong with respect to the diameters. Based upon all the responses, I believe my wisest path forward is to get a set of 17s. Any one disagree?
BTW, thanks to those who posted pics of the 2 styles.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.