Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Open Door Light comes on, Back Door not fully closing

4K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  aerobicice 
#1 ·
A few years ago, my 07 Rav4 was hit by another car; the other car hit me perpendicular to the rear. The insurance company had it fixed by a body shop, removing a dent on the rear left of my car.

Recently the open door light starts coming on. I took it to the mechanic and he said the rear door is misaligned/damaged, but quoted me about 3k to fix it. This is a crazy price for a car that is probably worth 5k at this point.

Temporarly, I am able to solve the problem by screwing the ring in tighter (where the door latches). But it gradually loosens as I drive.

Is it going to be a serious problem if I keep doing this and should I just bite the bullet and have the door fixed. What other solutions can I pursue?

#3 ·
A few years ago, my 07 Rav4 was hit by another car; the other car hit me perpendicular to the rear. The insurance company had it fixed by a body shop, removing a dent on the rear left of my car.

Recently the open door light starts coming on. I took it to the mechanic and he said the rear door is misaligned/damaged, but quoted me about 3k to fix it. This is a crazy price for a car that is probably worth 5k at this point.

Temporarly, I am able to solve the problem by screwing the ring in tighter (where the door latches). But it gradually loosens as I drive.

Is it going to be a serious problem if I keep doing this and should I just bite the bullet and have the door fixed. What other solutions can I pursue?
3k to align a door sounds out of line to me, unless the cars body is completely out of square. Another shop perhaps?

#5 ·
Contact your insurance company first if all the shop did was remove a dent on the door. I am guessing they had to do more work on your RAV though.

As for the screws/bolts coming loose, put some medium strength threadlocker (usually blue on the thread) and they will not loosen with vibrations. High strength threadlocker (usually red) needs to have heat applied if ever the screw/bolts need to be removed. Your call./

#6 ·
So they didn't replace the rear cargo door? Mine got hit right around the RAV4 badge on the back, and my body shop (the one I chose, not the one Geico wanted) replaced the entire back door:

#7 ·
I got hit on the back right corner (I made a mistake in my first post - so the hit was behind the rear passenger side door), so the door itself wasn't impacted, but apparently in fixing the damage to the back right corner, the back door got affected. I first noticed that the compartment holding the jack wasn't sealing properly as the plastic housing serving as a cover kept coming off.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.