Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

9005 LED replacement

8K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  dubRAV4 
#1 ·
Just replaced my regular 9005 Bulb ( DRL/ High Beam Light) with a LED 9005 bulb.
For Day light driving the Light does not work, and with High Beam it is On, but after 1 minute start to Goes OFF for few seconds and again goes On and so on....
Please let me know if anybody have similar experience and any solution. I am new to LED light bulbs for cars.(RAV4 2006 limited/I4)
Thanks,

#2 ·
Reading your message I think you maybe bought Chinese LED lights...

The reason why the daylight/dimlight is not working can be a wrong wiring connection.
Why the LED is going on/off all the time can be a heat dissipation problem. (to hot-OFF, cool again-ON)
Or both problems are caused by wrong wiring connections, that is also possible.

I think it is wise to contact your supplier with the questions, to explain.

#3 ·
You Are right.. supplier is Chinese and I think the Heat is the issue for going ON to Off and Vise Ver.
But These days what is not made in china my Friend? :))))))))
I asked them, they just say Sorry....
I have read that need to add a Resistor, since the Amp is too high for LED, and the Day light does not work since the voltage is 6V.

#6 ·
If you want LED lights instead of the original halogen bulbs or aftermarket Xenon light, then I advise LED lights with a seperate driver/power supply.
And be sure that the LES light it self has a proper heat sink to control the heat dissipation of the LED.

#12 ·
DO NOT put LEDs/HiDs in your REFLECTORs.

It is very UNSAFE for oncoming traffic.

with that said...

i had this setup before i decided to install PROJECTORs in...

Product Bottle Technology Electronic device

Gas

LEDs for Highbeams [9005]
Halogen for Lowbeams [9006]

During fogs or in a wooded dark area yellow tint performed well...I had the yellow tint screwed on top of the LEDs Bulb when I had the DRL(Daytime Running Lights)
Yellow tints are best when used in FOG Lights.

I, the turned my DRL off...and had them connected as normal setup.
LEDs as highbeams worked out pretty good. I like the temperature color of these...and not to mention 20watts 2000 lumen (whatever that means but I'm guessing the brightness of light)

Not bad bulbs...just remember NOT to install these in your lowbeam REFLECTORs.

These would workout best for those with a halogen PROJECTORs.

or looking to replace your FOG lamps.

Sent from my iPhone

#13 ·
Im telling you this from my own experience...and little bit of reading on this forum...[thanks thanks to all the people on here...you guys are the best]

My initial of this research/project was to cut down my power usage (car audio amplifier power draw issue)

So I bought both both 9005 & 9006 bulbs before reading any posts about LED/HIDs conversion installs.

Lights do stay cool with a built-in Fan Cooler.

Makes it a humming bird noise when turned on.

Have a quick response. And does not throw any error/troublecodes and you DO NOT need any resistors for your HIGHBeams DRL.

When you have your DRL system set as ON position. While LEDs are installed.
Your LEDs might run hotter if there is low voltage (reference to OHMs Law;)

(Note to myself...lookup why does my LED bulb has a computer chip and a fan built-in one)

You really dont need a resistor unless you are told otherwise. (Maybe if you are doing LED bulb swap for your turn signals.)

Sent from my iPhone[/color=gray]

#16 ·
Hi. I have a similar experience. Have 2012 Rav4 limited. Was trying to replace DRL/HB with LEDs. Picked up 9005 CREE LEDs from ijdmtoy with the r4 decoder. So far was only able to get the driver side to light up during high beam and it works very very faint as DRL on driver side. Passenger side doesnt light up at all. Tried switching bulbs to passenger and tried swapping decoders to each side and the same problem all around and will only light up on the driver side. If i take out LED and decoder and go back to stock, everything functions as stock with stock bulbs.

I thought the problem would either follow the bulbs or the decoders but doesnt follow either. Dont know why its only working on driver side. Might try using a resistor maybe see if theres any change but im stumped. Please let me know if anyone has gotten their 4.3 DRL/HB successful as an LED. thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.