Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Pirelli SCORPION VERDE A/S vs BFGoodrich Long Trail T/A Tour

5K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  psychoanalyst 
#1 ·
Its time to replace tires on my 2011 Toyota RAV4 Sport V6 (with the SAP).

After considering all factors including cost, I have narrowed down my choices to the above 2 tires (both available through Sam's Club).

I am essentially looking for all-season tires with decent grip on wet surfaces and light snow. My current tires (stock tire...Duelers I believe) are absolutely horrendous even on slightly wet (forget snow/ice) surfaces.

I live in NY.

Are run flats absolutely necessary? I have emergency road side :)

Thanks a ton!

#2 ·
I have an SAP as well.....I stepped down to aftermarket 17 inch wheels for better AT tire choices so having run flats are not mandatory.....I have had those BFGs on other SUVs and were happy with them.....I currently have 235/65-17 Hankook DynaPro ATM tires.....winter and wet traction is amazing and they make very little noise for how aggressive they are.....I do keep an air pump and plug kit just in case I get a flat.....so far so good.....

#3 ·
Go to tirerack.com and read the reviews of both tires.

#5 ·
Thanks Folks!

I went with the BFG Long Trail T/A Tour after reading extensive reviews.

Tirerack is pretty awesome, but at the same time its gets tricky when reading all the reviews. Its pretty amazing how one user absolutely loves a given tire and the next user absolutely hates it.

I decided to stick to the nice performance table they had for each tire to make the final decision. The BFG Long Trail is well appreciated all round. And Sam's Club carries it...so best of everything.

As expected, the reviews of the original tires (Bridgestone Duelers) basically explains why I get such poor traction in even slightly wet conditions. Never again am I touching that tire.

#6 ·
Regarding online reviews...if you've been reading them for any length of time, I find you can usually weed out the ones who perhaps did get a defective product, or didn't read the instructions, or they work for a competitor etc. Some are paid by a company to place strategic comments on certain message boards.
It's a dog-eat-dog world online!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.