Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Need an advice on tires!!

6K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  JohnMcKlane 
#1 ·
My current Kumho KH16s show uneven wear (only after 25k miles even with proper rotation and alignment) and road noise that they make is terrible. :mad:

I think I need to get a set of tires before the winter comes. I live in mid Ohio where snow traction cannot be ignored.

I have 08 v6 4wd and my driving style is normal.
90% city and 10% highway.

Here are the list of tires that I am considering.

1) Continental TrueContacts $115
2) General RT43 $103
3) Cooper CS5 Grand Touring $105 ($60 rebate)

Any recommendation/input is highly appreciated.

#2 ·
General RT43 are great tires but I still switch to snow tires in winter.

However, if I ever did not have snow tires, I would not hesitate to use them on snow. Maybe not on ice. Great reviews on TireRack.

RT43 offers a comfortable ride. However it makes the ride less precise; they are not Sports tires.
For those who want to make the RAV4 Sport less harsh, I definitely recommend this tire.

If you are going with RT43, don't forget to choose the H-rated tires. They are usually the same price as the T-rated tires (or just 2-3 dollars more)

#4 ·
H-rated tires are stronger built. The RAV comes with H-rated tires from the factory. Might be better for insurance purposes?

But if the H-rated RT43 tires are already soft enough, why go with even softer T-tires?
I think that the RAV will ride like a Buick!

RT43 H-rated tires are supposed to wear off faster though.

#13 ·
I have 225 65 17 Conti LX20 Ecoplus on mine. Love them and I get great gas milage. They were amazing last winter. WOuld have upsized had a read sooner that we can do it with no issues. Next time I plan on going 235 65 17. We just got a set of Cooper CS5's for my wife's Prius V. I must say. I love those too and they have a longer treadlife rating than the Conti's. I might get them for the rav next time. My friend put general rt43's on her forester last year and I like them but they are a bit squishy and noisy for my taste. My parents had goodyear cs tripletreads on their rav and those tires were beastly. Lasted 72k in brutal upstate NY winters too. Tremendous roadnoise from the goodyears though. Like almost unbearable. My vote is for the Coopers for best all around , but the Conti's are pretty close though I hear they wear out sooner. Mine only have 12k on them right now so I can't comment on that yet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.