Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Headlights upgrade

24K views 17 replies 5 participants last post by  bionictony 
#1 ·
I saw many posts talking about CCFL and angel eyes and how some people liked them and some didn't. Another post about retrofitting with HID. I am looking to upgrade my headlights to something that looks better and lights better. No experience with HID or any type of lights whatsoever.

First, wondering if someone has something used they might be selling??
For 2010 Rav4 sport

Second, are these the ones most people have been talking about in the different forums?
https://www.octanemotorsports.com/06-08-toyota-rav4-chrome-projector-headlights-w-dual-halo-ccfl-p-99998.html

https://www.octanemotorsports.com/0...ctor-headlights-w-dual-halo-ccfl-p-99997.html

http://www.protuninglab.com/rav4.html

Haven't been able to find any other website that sells some headlight replacement.

These say 06-08.Will they fit a 2010?

Thanks for the help!

See less See more
#2 ·
Don't waste your money on either of those or any that resemble these, light output is 5 times worse than stock headlights on these. Get a retrofit or buy some original HID headlights from Japan.

Reactions: Willyc
#5 ·
Changing from halogen to HID is no big issue. It's a straight forward matter of putting the HID electronics in between the lamp connector and the lamp.
You change the original halogen lamp for the HID lamp, the original lamp connector goes in to the HID transformer, and the output cable plus connector from the HID transfomer goes to the HID lamp. You can mount the HID transformer behind the head lights, under the steal cross bars. I used some ty-raps to keep them in place. Works perfect.

Also my advise: do not buy Chinese HID junk. Spend a few dollars more for true brands. My HID kits was about $80,00 and I changed the HID lights after 3 years, just to be sure, not even because the where broken or end of life.
And another advise: take 6000K color HID lights, they produce true white light with perfect vision at night.

#6 ·
If you are asking about housings from Japan then yes a pretty good but of work is involved, but the results are fantastic...there is a very good thread dedicated to them...if you're asking about installing hid bulbs into your reflector housings then that is very simple, however the results look like crap...I have been there and learned from it...the light scatters like crazy so in any kind of precipitation you will have reduced visibility...driving in snow is like warp drive on star wars...you will produce glare and blind other drivers on the road and no amount of aiming will correct it...if you just need some extra light for the back roads I would suggest auxiliary lights activated by your high beams...

#7 ·
Rule No.1: HID bulbs in reflector housings is not done.
Not for your self, because the light patern you get with HID bulbs shoots in any direction, except the part you need: straight on the road. And not for up coming trafic, because drivers will be blinded by the scattering HID light from reflector housings.

As far as I know all 4.3 EU RAV4 models have projector lenses in the head lights. Officially made for halogen bulbs, and not 100% perfect for HID bulbs, but close. My car needs an official periodic control/check every year to be road legal, and I have never had one complain about my HID bulbs.

In The Netherlands we have the RAV4 projector head lights with that extra beam part on the right, an extra safetyness towards pedestrians. HID bulbs light that part of the road also very good. And ofcourse traffic signs reflect twice as good with HID.

#8 ·
Agreed, I am in no interest of modyfing my projector housings with HID's. I'm just looking for what Theo has suggested. A headlamp I can buy already set to go where I can just plug in the ballast/transformer in between and plug it to the OEM wires. I have seen so many threads of people saying the angel eyes suck that I want a recommendation of what specific headlight to buy from someone that has used it and has been satisfied with the light output. If someone can direct me to the right brand, model and where to buy that would be great. I saw a forum that talked about Ichikoh 42-47 as being the japan ones but can't find anything that looks legit for buying these. Just some Yahoo based websites that I can't understand the language that are selling used ones it seems.

I definitely drive a lot on snow and don't need to be playing starwars while driving!! I'm guessing it must look like running high beams on a big snowstorm at night where you only see the funnel of snow wrapping around the car.

#13 ·
Got it. Sorry my bad. That tells you how much I know about automotive lighting in general... In any case, I was just planning on replacing the entire headlight unit for something else. However, talking yesterday with my brother, he said he knows the owner of this company, to talk to him as this might work because they actually sell a projector shroud that you adapt to the headlight inside to get good lighting. And it woul dbe cheaper that replacing the headlight. I would have to bake open the headlights is my guess but if it works and looks good might be worth the effort. Anyone that knows about retrofitting efforts can you give me some feedback of using something like this:
http://www.ddmtuning.com/Product-Categories/Projectors/Shrouds
http://www.ddmtuning.com/Product-Categories/Projectors/Projector-Packages

#14 ·
I have done several projector retrofits and have been pleased each time...I use a heat gun to separate my housings...also I would not buy ddm stuff...I did it once and was not at all happy...I get my stuff from The Retrofit Source...Google them...also to learn more about retrofitting look up some videos on YouTube...just search for projector retrofit...

#17 ·
Bionictony, do I understand from your reply that the US 4.3 models do'n have a Park/City light in the top of the head unit?
On the picture you see the result of Philips T10 1 Watt 4000K LED Park/City lights, nice bright white light. Works good.
(Picture had a slight exposure delay, so the Park/City lights showing on this picture are a bit brighter than original.)

In the EU Park/City lights are standard, but it's not advised to day drive on the road having them activated only. Always combined with DIM light.
Actually in The Netherlands it's highly advised to drive permantly with DIM light, even during the day. For extra visibility.
Dutch drivers in foreign coutries often got light signs from upcoming traffic during the day, saying "Your lights are still on." But that became less.
More and more EU countries advise their drivers to keep the DIM lights always on. Again, to make you more visible.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.