Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

New off-road tires for a 2011 RAV4?

53K views 52 replies 31 participants last post by  Noetrace 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

Going to buy 4 BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO2 tires from Tire Rack for my 2011 base RAV4. Keep getting a message that says "the tires you have selected have a higher load rating than the vehicle's Original Equipment (O.E.) tires."

Is it safe to drive with these on? Getting these tires to avoid all the crap DC weather puts everyone through.

Jake

#2 ·
BFG ATs are an LT (light truck) tire, so have a stiffer construction, so will make the ride harder.
My SWB 4.1 is much lighter than yours though, so yours shouldn't be as bad. I had to reduce my rear pressures a bit.

You could try Yokohama Geolanders, they get good reviews and are also available with a P (passenger) rating.

#5 ·
Concur. Not only do the reviews echo this, but my experience with the Hankooks so far is excellent. No snow yet, but I've hit all other terrains successfully, and with great confidence.

Only downside is increased tire noise, but that is expected with ATs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#7 ·
I buy most of my tires from discount tire direct...I have a sport that originally came with 18 inch wheels, but I wanted these tires so I bought 17 inch wheels for them...my avatar pic shows them and I have a few other pics with them...stock 17 inch size is 225/65, but I like the 235 better...while my rav does not have a rear spare tire mount I have heard that the 235 will fit the factory tire cover.. others have installed 245/65-17 and said that was just a little too big for the spare tire cover...

#8 ·
my Conti TrueContacts 235/65r17 (pretty sure thats the size) barely squeezes into the plastic cover and the elastic vinyl part will not reach the back of the tire. I got a matching 17in rim from automotix (junk yard site) and left the tire uncovered. and i do the 5 tire rotation every oil change.

you can get a bigger cover online relatively cheap but i dont see the need for it.

#10 ·
Off topic a tad but relevant to your post.... I have a Sport 18" wheels. If I were to get 17" rims with 235/65r17... couldn't I just keep the old 18" sport wheel as a spare seeing how I've only ever needed it once. And if I had to use it if one of the 235/16r17s got a flat... would it be an issue driving ? Never tried in any vehicle.

#15 ·
my RAV4 is dirty and full of chips..
just not into decoration, i upgraded the electronics so i could get bluetooth, nav, and a rear camera
wider tires for more grip on the road..
mmmm yep thats it.. i barely wash it but i air the tires semi-religiously.

wait.. i got the license plate frame that says Alabama Crimson Tide.. does that count?
Is your spare tire cover a custom job?

#16 ·
I just put the same 235/65/17 Dynapro ATM on my 2009 V6. Speedo should be off 2% now, so my mpg tracking is busted.

Yeah, some noise under 50, but ride is smooth...corners confident.

Oddly, I have less steering feedback...meaning, it is so smooth, I can turn my wheel with a pinky...
The "speed sensitive" steering used to have some firmness in a parking lot, has gone away. Not to my liking actually.

I went to Jet.com, being new customer, They have a coupon worth 15% off your first 3 orders. So, the math...each tire was $111.00, no tax, no shipping. Since the coupon maxed out at $30 value, I place two orders, with two tires each. Wah-la...4 tires at $94 is $376 delivered to my door by fedex....then, $86 to Firestone to mount and balance. So, yeah $462 total....some deal I made for myself.

I will update/review after some miles..

Also, put the AFE dry filter in, NICE...highly recommend that $63 purchase. aFe POWER 31-10151 Magnum FLOW Pro DRY S Air Filter | aFe POWER

#23 ·
went with 245/65/17 hankook atm on my 08 4x4 rav4. drive just as quiet as the goodyear assurance crap that was on previously and just played in the snow on the mountains and got through just fine. quiet on the highway and fine in the city. couldn't recommend more. $531 installed at discount tire

#29 ·
We have them on our 2008 V-6 Limited. They are excellent. Also had the note from Tire Rack about the load rating, but I haven't noticed them being an issue. Got them in the stock size for the car (225/65 R17). I put up a thread about them not too long ago.

http://www.rav4world.com/forums/97-4-3-exterior/246178-new-tires-couldnt-happier.html

If you're still looking, I would highly recommend them. A nice bonus is they actually change the look of the vehicle a bit, make it look more "off-road-y", if that makes sense. Probably makes me sound like a non-off-roader, but whatever.

Reactions: REN3G8
#25 ·
I run All Terrain K02 on my 4.2 RAV4, and I love them.

Reactions: REN3G8
#36 ·
A higher load rating is always better than a lower load rating, higher simply means the tire is designed to carry more weight than your stock tires. The warning is just letting you know that the tires you have selected are NOT the stock replacement tires for your car.

#37 ·
Man, are we talking about off-road tires here? If so, I'm reading some stuff here that violates some basic off-road principles, namely: a larger wheel diameter than stock if WORSE for off-road, because an off-road tire needs to have more sidewall flex in rough terrain, sometimes it's even necessary to reduce tire pressure or "air-down" to make the tire softer to better conform to the terrain. My RAV4 has 16" wheels, I'll change to 15" wheels if they'll fit over the brake calipers, then put on a set of Cooper Discoverer MTPs at 28" in diameter and 75 series, best off road tire I've ever used are these Discoverer MTPs, bar none, and I've been an off road junkie for 35 years. Keeping your stock 16" wheels is fine, but these big tires are essential, and they're really well-behaved on-road and in the rain, just a little noisy, but not bad.

#38 ·
Bigger tires

I have had ko2's on my ford camper van, loved them. Now I have a garaged, one owner, 2007, Rav 4 (82k miles on the clock). It is the four cyl., auto, tire stores here in Boise, Idaho all tell me the engine is to small for the bigger tire and each tire is 50 pounds, a lot to push around. How does your Rav do and what about mpg decrease?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.