Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

New backup camera not working

7K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  nouse4aname 
#1 ·

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
In basic your back-up camera should get +12 volt when the transmission is set into reverse. You can check this with a multimeter.
This same +12 volt must be offered to the "Reverse Cam" wire on to the back of the radio. When this wire gets +12 volt the screen will turn to the "Reverse Cam In" signal.

When you buy an aftermarket reverse cam you can connect the +12 volt of the reverse camera on to one of the reverse light +12 volt wires.
This same +12 volt from the reverse light must be routed with the reverse cam signal coax cable to the back of the radio. The easiest way is under the door steps because they are removed easy and contain other wires to the radio/dash too.

#6 ·
2 wires are missing.
Is there a ground wire from the camera to the ground on the RAV (e.g. black/white wire on rear door)?

Because you wired the camera to the battery (assuming you also hooked up the ground), the camera would be on all the time. That would damage the camera in the long run.
You need to wire the red/black to the positive wire of the reverse light.

On top of that, you also need to wire the reverse positive to the back of the unit ( I think my Chinese unit says reverse). There are 2 ways to do this:
1. there is usually an additional wire (red?) at each end of the RCA cable. You could connect that wire also to the reverse positive and connect it to the REVERSE port on the radio
OR
2. you could ignore that wire and pull the signal from another source of Positive reserve signal. http://www.rav4world.com/forums/87-...-back-up-camera-wiring-help-2.html#post934367

Also check other posts on this forum:
e.g. http://www.rav4world.com/forums/98-4-3-interior/123625-jvc-kw-av61bt-rear-view-camera-install.html

#8 ·
Because you wired the camera to the battery (assuming you also hooked up the ground), the camera would be on all the time. That would damage the camera in the long run.
You need to wire the red/black to the positive wire of the reverse light.
I don't know about that. I have mine hooked up to the power socket in the rear for constant power. My head unit(and I imagine this pumpkin one as well) support the ability to switch to the camera on demand, not just while in reverse. I actually used it as our rear view mirror when driving cross country with the rear cargo area packed to the roof. For that to work it needs constant power. Also reduces the delay in switching to it when going to reverse. $10 ebay camera and no sign of burn out 2 years later. If it did I would just replace with another $10 camera.

My dashcam is also always powered and have had that even longer.

#9 ·
Thanks for that clarification nouse4aname.
Were you able to listen to music while the Pumpkin was permanently projecting the rear view image?

So you are saying that you have the backup camera permanently hooked up to ACCESSORY 12v.
Then you also have the REVERSE port at the back of the radio connected to the backup light positive.

Then whenever you drive in reverse OR you press a button your unit, the backup image comes up.

Is there any other connection that you had to make to the rear view image appear on demand?

#10 ·
Our unit is actually a Clarion and had a Kenwood before that. Both support accessing the backup cam on demand as well as using the reverse trigger to bring it up as well. Whatever music source was playing at the time of switch still plays and the steering wheel controls still work while it is displayed.

Connection is all the same, just a software difference vs OEM units. Yep, power coming from accessory.

I would be surprised if this Windows CE pumpkin unit did not support that.

#12 ·
I've placed a general back-up cam wiring diagram in another topic:

Maybe this helps too.

If you connect the back-up cam to the + and - of one of the reverse lights, then you are half way.
Route the camera coax cable and and extra + wire from the reverse light to the radio and connect. Done.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.