TPMS sensors. Life? - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.3 Exterior Tires, Wheels, Lights, Spoilers, Flares, Bars, Tow Hitches, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 12:54 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
TPMS sensors. Life?

I still have the original functioning TPMS sensors on the 2009. I figure it has got to be near the end of the battery life. How many years are most people getting out of the original OEM units?

I'm also close to needing a third set of tires for this vehicle which now has about 85,000 miles on it, so this would be the time to get new TPMS sensors. I buy my tires online and use an independent garage to mount and balance them. Since I have a full size spare, I will be getting 5 sensors. It looks like I can buy the Denso 550-0103 sensors for $25 each plus shipping from an online E-Bay seller. Any thoughts on those?

John

2009 RAV 4 base 2WD, 17" steel spoke wheels, Dimming-compass mirror, Mud flaps, Hood guard, Door-Side panel protector strips. 85,000 miles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 02:20 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbwood5 View Post
I still have the original functioning TPMS sensors on the 2009. I figure it has got to be near the end of the battery life. How many years are most people getting out of the original OEM units?

I'm also close to needing a third set of tires for this vehicle which now has about 85,000 miles on it, so this would be the time to get new TPMS sensors. I buy my tires online and use an independent garage to mount and balance them. Since I have a full size spare, I will be getting 5 sensors. It looks like I can buy the Denso 550-0103 sensors for $25 each plus shipping from an online E-Bay seller. Any thoughts on those?
Three sets of tires in 85k? I got 36k out of the OEM Toyos and 42k on Michelin Defenders with 7-8/32s left on them.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 02:34 PM

I've read on this forum that the TPMS batteries last 7-8 years. They are still OK on my 2009.
When mine die I'm going to use the "black tape" method to cover up the warning light since I went for decades without that idiot light and I will go further without it.

2009 Base I4, FWD, 17" Steel Rims, Black Forest Pearl

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 02:47 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenuer View Post
Three sets of tires in 85k? I got 36k out of the OEM Toyos and 42k on Michelin Defenders with 7-8/32s left on them.
I got about 32,000 out of the OEM's with 5 tire rotation, and my Michelin Defenders (4 tire rotation) have 53,000 with about 5/32s on the worst tire. I could probably go another 8 to 10 K on the Defenders, but the sidewalls are cracking due to Sun damage (I live in Florida). I just don't feel safe doing a Summer vacation the way the tires are. Michelin has the $70 rebate going on until the end of the month, and Walmart has a decent price on Defenders right now. I expect this is the last year for that model.

John

2009 RAV 4 base 2WD, 17" steel spoke wheels, Dimming-compass mirror, Mud flaps, Hood guard, Door-Side panel protector strips. 85,000 miles.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 03:10 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
I bought my 2006 V6 4.3 in Mar '06, the TPMS system was still working fine in Feb '15 when I sold it.

2016 Hybrid Limited AWD
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 04:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

No problems with the OEM TPMS sensors on my 2009 and if it ain't broke, won't fix it! If and when they do fail, I guess I'd go the black tape route and ignore the icon until those wheels need new tires since it's not a critical safety item IMO.

That seems like a good deal on the Denso sensors if true. FWIW I had some Discount Tire generic sensors installed on my snow wheels for $60 a pop, but that includes lifetime reset when switching with rotation to summer wheels and back to OEM sensors. Toyota dealer was at least double that price.

2009 Red RAV4 Base I4 AWD
1989 Chevy Silverado V8 4WD
2004 Yamaha FJR 1300 I4 1WD
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 05:45 PM
Your Humble Administrator

Thanked 1,937 Times in 1,390 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Each TPMS sensor has a 3 volt lithium cell inside with a life span of 8-10 years. According to Techstream, the voltage on all 5 of my sensors is good.

Help RAV4World members help you by providing your car's operating location in your profile page. Climate can cause a RAV4 in Dallas Wisconsin to experience a different set of issues when compared to the same model in Dallas Texas.

2008 Limited V6 2WD "The Silver Bullet"

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 05:47 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I bought 5 of these sensors:

TPMS Sensor-OE Manufactured DENSO 550-0103 | eBay

Only one left, but deals like this come up periodically. The problem may be the age, but I guess if they have not been activated, the lithium battery should be good for another 8 years (hopefully).

John

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 05:57 PM
Your Humble Administrator

Thanked 1,937 Times in 1,390 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Those are not made by Denso, but by Pacific, same as the TPMS sensors my RAV4 came with. The Pacific part number is PMV-107J:

Help RAV4World members help you by providing your car's operating location in your profile page. Climate can cause a RAV4 in Dallas Wisconsin to experience a different set of issues when compared to the same model in Dallas Texas.

2008 Limited V6 2WD "The Silver Bullet"

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 06:15 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuneBug View Post
Each TPMS sensor has a 3 volt lithium cell inside with a life span of 8-10 years. According to Techstream, the voltage on all 5 of my sensors is good.
Interesting. I didn't know the Tech Stream could measure the TPMS battery voltage. I'll have to hook it up and see what it says before I get the tires and new sensors changed. I guess there should be no problem registering the new sensors with my PC Tech Stream? Thanks for the info.

Also, looking at your next post and using that part#, I could have purchased these for under $20 a piece.

C'est la vie

John

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page