Alternative Tow Hitches - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.3 Exterior Tires, Wheels, Lights, Spoilers, Flares, Bars, Tow Hitches, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 01-04-2006, 06:39 PM
R4W Moderator

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Alternative Tow Hitches

Not sure how much all of these are, but I'll bet they're a damn sight cheaper than what Toyota wants for theirs ($820!)... A quick look around the Internet floats the two currently available at around $150 to $220 shipped...

(Note that Draw-Tite, Hidden Hitch and Reese are all owned by the same parent company Cequent)

Curt 13509 (PDF installation instructions)

Da'lan 757509 (company bought by Curt in 2003)

Draw-Tite Max-Frame 75432

Hidden Hitch 70785
Installation Guide (Adobe PDF)

Putnam (none yet)

Reese Value Receiver 44540
"Formed Round Tube Crossmember is Minimally Exposed Beneath the Bumper."

Sure Pull (none yet)

U-Haul 78432 (model number curiously close to Draw-Tite's)

Valley Industries 81642 (PDF installation instructions)

UPDATED 5/1/06

//Tony -- Three-time RAV'er!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 01-05-2006, 07:27 AM
Advanced Member

Garage
FWIW... the OEM Toyota hitch INCLUDES wiring for lights. I guess it's a $600 wiring job
#3 (permalink) Old 01-05-2006, 01:03 PM
R4W Moderator

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Not bashing, but the wiring kits run $30-$60... I'm sure Toyota charges more than the $130-$170 these aftermarket guys want for the hitch...

#4 (permalink) Old 01-06-2006, 03:39 PM
sibbo

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
First off I have an 02, but hey the prices should not be that different for the new model, unless someone is trying to really rip people off. I bought a hitch for $120, the harness from my dealer for $30, and they wired it for me for $40, nice and neat. It is a Reese shadow mount, there is a photo in my album

#5 (permalink) Old 01-06-2006, 05:23 PM
R4W Moderator

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Well, for one, the 2006's hitches are Class III/IV, rated at 3500 lbs and have a 2-inch receiver box.

The best that was ever made for the previous RAV4's were Class III, but the bulk of them were Class I or II and older RAV4's only have a 1500 lbs tow rating.

#6 (permalink) Old 01-06-2006, 06:25 PM
sibbo

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Is it not just the V6 model with the 3500 lb capacity, the 4 is still just 1500(I could be wrong) Either way, it should not cost any more to have the wires installed

#7 (permalink) Old 01-07-2006, 07:34 PM
R4W Moderator

Garage
(Thread Starter)
You are correct about the V6 vs. 4-cylinder tow ratings. However, in this case, the hitches have the Class III/IV rating, not necessarily the RAV. But it's the same hitch hardware, nonetheless. $150 (including shipping) for a Class III/IV hitch is great, considering your shadow mount was $120.

To date, I haven't seen a Class I or II hitch made for the 2006 and the aftermarket manufacturers may take some time deciding whether to make them. Their take might be "Why design and make two different rated hitch receivers when you can get by with one?" All depends on how many they'd sell, I suppose.

If there's a need for a tongue (shadow mount) or 1-1/4" hitch receiver with the 2006 RAV4, I'm sure someone will manufacture one.

#8 (permalink) Old 01-09-2006, 11:46 AM

You really have to be ignorant to buy an accessorie like a trailer hitch or stereo system from a dealership .
90% of the time they are waaay over priced (& sometimes of lesser quality) then what you can get else where .

The hitch for my 2000 Rav was $79 Can.
$820 U.S. for a hitch
Bwaa haa haa
#9 (permalink) Old 01-22-2006, 10:40 PM

According to the internet-all 2006 v6 Rav4's come with a factory hitch??? My wife and I are ordering ours tommorow and this is something we need to know.

The exact quote: The well-equipped base grade includes features such as Electronically-controlled Active Torque Control 4-wheel drive; Vehicle Stability Control (VSC) with Traction Control; AM/FM/CD/MP3 audio system with mini-jack; dual stage driver and passenger airbags; power windows and door locks; keyless entry; illuminated entry; Optitron gauges; dual glove box; cruise control; air conditioning with rear seat heater ducts; 60/40 folding rear seat; tonneau cover and cargo net; tilt/telescopic steering wheel; silver accented interior trim; dual power remote heated side mirrors; roof rack; 17” styled steel wheels; towing hitch on the V6 and more
#10 (permalink) Old 01-22-2006, 11:54 PM

I believe that it is only in Canada that all of the V6's will come with tow hitches as well as the towing package which raises the V6 towing capacity from 2000# to 3500#. The towing package includes a transmission cooler, a larger radiator, an upgraded fan coupling, an upgraded to 150A alternator, and trailer prewiring. When you consider the severe climate that we have in some parts of Canada, (it was -30C here this morning), it is probably a good decision to include these on all of the V6's. I emailed Toyota Canada on Jan 19/06 to confirm that the above is true but I am still waiting for a reply.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page