Tow Package??? - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.3 Exterior Tires, Wheels, Lights, Spoilers, Flares, Bars, Tow Hitches, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 03-27-2006, 02:02 PM
tjbrown

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Tow Package???

Hello everyone. I am new member and have found this sight very helpful in the pursuit of a new Rav4. I have a V6 sport on order and it should be in close to the middle of April. I am very interested in the towing package(I have a 2,000 lb boat). When I went to the dealer in my area (Ohio) they said that they could not locate a car whith the tow package and side curtain air bags. They told me that I did not need the Tow package that the car would pull the boat fine. Was wondering if anyone out there has had any insight on this statement. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 03-27-2006, 02:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
The V6 without the Tow Prep Package has a 2000 pound towing capacity. If your boat is 2000 pounds, it is too close for comfort, I would not do it. It will not tow your boat just fine, dont believe your dealer, all he is trying to do is to close out the deal the easy way. It is alway better to be safe than sorry, especially if you plan to tow all the time. The Tow Prep Package Includes larger radiator, fan coupling, transmission oil cooler and 150A alternator. A very useful package for a $150 if you plan to do alot of towing. With the optional Tow Prep Package, the towing capacity goes up to 3500 pounds. Which should be nice and safe towing a 2000 pound boat.

Good Luck
#3 (permalink) Old 03-27-2006, 04:15 PM
tjbrown

Thanks G Man, my thoughts exactly. I had bad feelings about his statement but he was not the first salesman to tell me that (three dealers). Thought that I might be missing something. It seemed to me that $150.00 was pretty cheap to insure the additional weight. Has any one purchased a sport V6 4x4 with tow package and side curtain airbags? It is hard to imagane why they would install a tow package without side air curtains.

#4 (permalink) Old 03-27-2006, 08:22 PM

Sounds like you need the tow package more than the side curtains.
#5 (permalink) Old 03-27-2006, 10:20 PM
ptwilliamson

G Man, I don't believe a transmission oil cooler comes with the tow package according to all the literature. Only an upgraded radiator, fan coupling, and alternator. I would also get the tow package for towing 2000 lbs. [/quote]

#6 (permalink) Old 03-27-2006, 10:46 PM
CampingColorado

You definitely should get the tow package if you intend to tow ANYTHING! Small boats often lead to bigger boats, ya know? Even without upgrading, it's still better safe than sorry and it will be less stress on the car if you have the tow package. The larger radiator is a big deal, as it will provide increased engine cooling on those summer days heading home from the lake with the AC on full blast. The salesman is full of it and is just trying to close the deal. I'd walk and find a more respectable dealer.

#7 (permalink) Old 03-28-2006, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptwilliamson
G Man, I don't believe a transmission oil cooler comes with the tow package according to all the literature. Only an upgraded radiator, fan coupling, and alternator. I would also get the tow package for towing 2000 lbs.
[/quote]

According to Edmunds, the transmission cooler is part of the tow package.
#8 (permalink) Old 03-28-2006, 09:29 AM
Advanced Member

G- Toyota says no.

Tow Prep Package [8] (V6 models only) with 3500-lb. towing capacity – includes upgraded radiator, fan coupling, and alternator

========
Defender of the 4 banger!!!!

http://mustangattitude.com/cgi-bin/s.../2007_00010_01 <= website!
#9 (permalink) Old 03-28-2006, 11:40 AM

Hmmm Edmunds could be wrong, its would not be the first time they have been wrong, but there were a whole bunch of other articles that states the transmission cooler comes with the tow package, which is the case in most of the tow packages on the market.
#10 (permalink) Old 03-28-2006, 12:47 PM
tjbrown

After reading the responses to my initial post , I spoke with my salesman and he is going to change my order and try and to locate a car with the tow package and curtains. I am almost certain that they offer this package in the Denver area. I do not want to risk damage to the car. Thanks for all of your input!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page