Thule Atlantis 1800 cargo carrier - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.3 Exterior Tires, Wheels, Lights, Spoilers, Flares, Bars, Tow Hitches, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 04-29-2007, 03:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
Thule Atlantis 1800 cargo carrier

In the few spare minutes I had this weekend, I managed to install the Thule Atlantis 1800 cargo carrier on top of my Rav4. Step were as follows.

1. Remove factory cross-bars (note to self, they can't be removed from the front of the roof rails, doh!)

2. Install Thule Rapid Crossroad Footpack and crossbars. Simple and easy.

3. Install cargo box (again, very easy).

4. Drive around to see how noisy all the new hardware is.

Actually, I drove around a bit after just installing the new crossbars, and they do make a noticeable whistle when the sun roof cover is open. If you close the sun shade on the sunroof, most of the additional noise from the box and bars is very minimal. I could fell an occasional gust of wind catch the car a bit more, but its windy here today (20-30MPH).

Now, before this degenerates into a thread of how useless a car top carrier is on the RAV4 due to weight limitations, I plan on using this carrier to carry strollers and other baby paraphernalia that doesn't weigh that much but is bulky and hard to pack efficiently. That should leave room for the heavier, more compact stuff in the back of the car and still leave room to put one seat down for the dog and have Jr. in is car seat. Pics are in my album if anyone is curious how it looks, and I apologize for the shabby shape of the RAV4. It rained here all week and I used all of my marital capital to spend 6+ hours detailing last weekend.

Cheers,
HeavyB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 04-29-2007, 04:10 PM
Advanced Member

Looks good HeavyB! I have a black Thule Weekender (had it for several years). I haven't put it on the RAV yet, but probably will this summer.

To The BlackMobile!!!
#3 (permalink) Old 04-29-2007, 05:52 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
How did you remove the cross bars? I also have to install the Thule adapters in the next couple of weeks, and I'm curious if it's going to be a PITA.
#4 (permalink) Old 04-29-2007, 06:00 PM

(Thread Starter)
Its super easy (even easier once you realize they need to come off the back and not the front, , hehe ). all you need is a thin flat head screwdriver and a microfiber towel or something to protect your car's paint. If you do a search here for "cross bar removal" or something like that you will wind a few threads that describe the process quite nicely. Its really very easy. I'm not leaving the Thule cross bars on when I'm not using the cargo box, and I've found I like the "no cross bar" look.

Cheers,
HeavyB
#5 (permalink) Old 04-29-2007, 06:14 PM
Advanced Member

Re: Thule Atlantis 1800 cargo carrier

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyB
Now, before this degenerates into a thread of how useless a car top carrier is on the RAV4 due to weight limitations, I plan on using this carrier to carry strollers and other baby paraphernalia that doesn't weigh that much but is bulky and hard to pack efficiently. That should leave room for the heavier, more compact stuff in the back of the car and still leave room to put one seat down for the dog and have Jr. in is car seat. Pics are in my album if anyone is curious how it looks, and I apologize for the shabby shape of the RAV4. It rained here all week and I used all of my marital capital to spend 6+ hours detailing last weekend.
Hey, Heavy -
Sounds like you have quite a load to carry, no wonder you went with the V6. Also sounds like you're doing a great job with your space utilization

OC
#6 (permalink) Old 04-30-2007, 01:17 PM

While he did a good job putting on the carrier, I admire his heading off the "it only holds 200 lbs" discussion....lol
#7 (permalink) Old 04-30-2007, 09:30 PM

I gought the Yakima SpaceCadet because I didn't want to block out my sunroof.
#8 (permalink) Old 06-02-2007, 12:02 PM
njl

Is there a reason you didn't/couldn't mount this box directly on the factory cross bars?

Also, assuming you're not 7' tall, how do you access the contents of the cargo box?

ETA...I was just going through the manual, and I see the roof rack is rated for 102lbs. Where did the 200lbs figure come from?

Given a cargo box that may weigh nearly 50lbs, I have to wonder how useful a roof mounted cargo box would be for carrying much other than bulk (strollers).

Are the limits 100lbs on the factory cross bars and 200lbs on your upgraded cross bars?
#9 (permalink) Old 06-02-2007, 05:51 PM

(Thread Starter)
My responses are in bold

Quote:
Originally Posted by njl
Is there a reason you didn't/couldn't mount this box directly on the factory cross bars?

The info I could gather from both Thule and Yakima was cryptic at best regarding this, so I decided to get the bars and go with Thule, as their fit guide said it could carry 140-ish lbs

Also, assuming you're not 7' tall, how do you access the contents of the cargo box?

I stand on the door jambs after opening the doors. I'm not Yao Ming

ETA...I was just going through the manual, and I see the roof rack is rated for 102lbs. Where did the 200lbs figure come from?

Yes, I've seen that figure as well, and am not sure if that means using the factory installed cross-bars, or if it means anything on the roof rails. The Thule fit book at REI said its weight capacity was on the order of 140 lbs

Given a cargo box that may weigh nearly 50lbs, I have to wonder how useful a roof mounted cargo box would be for carrying much other than bulk (strollers).

Again, I don't expect to haul Tundra-like loads on the roof of my RAV4. The bulky and not so heavy will be going on the roof. I've spent a fair bit of time personally evaluating the roof rails and I think they are pretty sturdy and I'm not concerned with overloading the roof.

Are the limits 100lbs on the factory cross bars and 200lbs on your upgraded cross bars?

To be honest, I wish I knew the answer to this. Emails to both Thule and Yakima to get to the bottom of this ? went unanswered. The Thule fit manual at REI quoted a load capacity of I believe 140ish lbs. Fr my intended uses (baby joggers/strollers, fishing poles/etc.) the box is going to work just fine.
Cheers,
HeavyB
#10 (permalink) Old 07-15-2007, 04:47 PM
njl

Well, I went ahead and did this. I got the Thule Atlantis 1600 and used the original load bars. Same as you, we used it primarily for bulk rather than weight (stroller, fishing rod, booster seat, pillows, etc.). It survived a trip of well over 1000 miles, some of which was through the hardest, windiest rain I've ever seen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page