Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

How to add Foglights using OEM Wiring on the RAV4.3

467K views 370 replies 141 participants last post by  iconman 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
OK, this is still a work in progress. i would like input / feedback from the community to help refine the documentation :wink: TIA!

And of course - be forewarned: i do not work for Toyota, am not a mechanic by profession, and should not be considered an authority on any of the systems dealt with in this write-up - so if you do this, it's at your own risk!

Much of the info and diagrams came from this document: http://techdoc.toyota-europe.com/ai... kit LHD RHD PZ457-X0511-00 AIM 000 539-1.pdf

Project: Add Fog Lights to RAV4.3 using OEM Wiring (USA)
  • Advantages: Simple installation, OEM quality setup, factory behavior - fogs only operate if low-beams are on, plus dash indicator light functions as designed:
  • Potential Disadvantages: factory behavior - if you want the fogs on w/o the low-beams, sorry! and may be more money - OEM relay is ~$50, but NAPA one is only $9...
Parts Used:
  • Ebay OEM Style Fog Light Kit 06+ RAV4: $105 shipped, got mine from
    Seller:Trendgear but at least 1 other seller carries these; at least with this kit the panel switch fits perfectly into the 06+ knockout
  • Toyota Relay: P/N 90080-87026, got it for $48.50 shipped from Greentree Toyota in CT
    OR get a compatible relay for about $8 from NAPA Auto Parts Store, part # is AR614 - thanks to Bigal8553 for this find!
  • Misc: Wire Tap Splice(s) and other wiring tools, 10mm socket & ratchet, screwdriver, etc.
Electronics:

> Disconnect the battery - i'm told that's important when installing the relay.
> Remove the instrument lower panel (undo 2 screws and pull), fuse box cover, then the steering column lower cover. be careful removing the steering column cover, as the clips can break easily.

> While you're down there, check the instrument panel fuse box to make sure you already have a 15amp fuse in spot #12, marked "FR FOG 15 A"
> insert the new relay:
before:

After:

> Locate the wiring harness for the headlight/turn signal lever, found on the left side of the steering column. when this line is connected to a ground, the fogs are turned on. the line is at pin 4 and is a grey wire.

> Note: with my ebay fog kit, an OEM style knockout fog switch was included. you can use any automotive switch you want to. mine included an indicator light, which i wired similarly to the euro instructions, which produced a dim light similar to the window control lights. since this OEM method utilizes the fog indicator in the gauge panel, this is not a major issue.

On my ebay switch, it seems the 2 red leads were wired together as ground, the yellow was the main circuit (which got wired into the harness) and the black was for the switch illumination. lie your switch on it's side with the harness connected and see if your scheme matches:

> To prep the switch harness for use, remove the wire loom and cut the wires about 2-3 feet from the switch connector, making sure to cut past the point at which the 2 red wires are spliced together.

> Tap into the grey fog wire with a Tap Splice, a red 22-18 AWG is best, and insert one end of your fog on/off switch to the circuit. (if your ebay wiring is like mine, this will be the Red wire on the end of the connector.) make sure to zip-tie and secure the wiring cleanly along the OEM wiring path.

> Connect the other lead from the switch to a good ground point. (if your ebay wiring is like mine, this will be the Yellow wire.) there's a good grounding spot to the bottom left of the driver's foot-well, just use a self-tapping screw.

> If your switch has an illumination light like the ebay, splice the illumination wire into the Green wire on the back of the dash dimmer knockout switch. (if your ebay wiring is like mine, this will be the remaining black wire.)

> Install switch in dash and reinstall the previously removed panels.

At this point you have a complete OEM fog wiring setup! if you wanted to slap bulbs on the OEM wiring and reconnect the battery to test, it should all work.

Physical Install:

> Pop and prop the hood, and remove this thing - what is it called? You can use a flat head instead of the special tool for the 1 fastener, the other 8 come out real easy...

> Unscrew the 2 rubber-shielded bolts and 1 fastener at the top of the front end:

> To be safe you may want to use painters tape or similar to protect from scratches as shown. after removing the side fasteners, push back the wheel well pieces to reveal the 10mm bolt (on each side) holding the sides to the top (which were not in the European instructions :? )

> Undo the 8 bottom bolts with your 10mm socket, noting for later that the 2 outermost bolts are longer (something i of course didn't notice until later):

> Carefully unclip the front end at the side panels and remove the front end, being cautious not to scratch at the sides. it can be done by 1 person without issue. make sure to set it down somewhere it won't get scratched!

> Remove the 3 10mm bolts holding in each fog blank:

> Add the fog light brackets and bolt them in:

> Add the fog lights by sliding the tabs in the inner side and screwing them in at the outer side, as shown. mine had no pre-drilled holes but the screws self-tapped - don't over-tighten!

> Unwrap the factory fog light wiring:

> Make sure the H11 bulbs are installed in the fog light housings, bring the front end close to the vehicle, and connect the OEM fog light wiring.

> Connect the battery and make sure your fogs work! remember to turn on your low beams, then check your on/off functionality.

> If everything works, put the front end back in place, snap in the sides, and replace the top fasteners.

> I have not tested this for sure, but this is probably the point at which you want to check the aim of the fogs. (mine are unintentionally aimed upwards as of the install, i have yet to aim them) turn the adjustment screw clockwise to aim higher, counter-clockwise to lower:

>I'm guessing i'll have to find a right-angle phillips head or try a stubby screwdriver...

> Re-attach the remaining bolts, fasteners, etc. by reversing the removal steps.

I think that's it! please, i appreciate any comments / corrections / refinements anyone has for this write-up!

Thanks! :wink:

EDITED 11/25/08: updated wiring recommendations based on RUV's research/discoveries - thanks!

See less See more
G
#7 ·
undo the 8 bottom bolts with your 10mm socket, noting for later that the 2 outermost bolts are longer (something i of course didn't notice until later):
You are able to just remove the lower outside 10mm bolts and pull the wheel arch plastics back out the way. Whilst you are lying down u can access the adjustment screw with ur finger as u dont require a screwdriver. You can even reach and complete the whole swap over of the lights this way, as i did.

#9 ·
RiVot,

Thanks a bunch for the detailed install.

A couple of things, I did a little resurch and I bought from NAPA AR614 Relay for 8.00 w/ Tax.

I put the red leads to the 4 (gray) lead and black to ground.

I also noticed that the factory idiot light comes on by the speedometer which is great.

The only thing I cannot figure out is the yellow lead and I do not have any illumination on my switch.

Tried different things but could not get to illuminate.

Do you have any suggestions?

Again Thanks

#11 · (Edited by Moderator)
Bigal8553 said:
RiVot,

A couple of things, I did a little resurch and I bought from NAPA AR614 Relay for 8.00 w/ Tax.

I also noticed that the factory idiot light comes on by the speedometer which is great.

The only thing I cannot figure out is the yellow lead and I do not have any illumination on my switch.

Again Thanks
awesome find on the relay - big savings!!

switch illumination: i had it working tapped into the 'illumination' signal at the dimmer (like the euro instructions), except that if i turned the fogs off, everything linked with the illumination (i.e. most of the dash lighting) would occasionally freak! :shock: so i disconnected that. wish i had time to experiment more, but i'm quite satisfied with the dash indicator (dummy light) at this point...

i have a feeling you came closer than i did, as your color usage seems more 'standard'. you may want to try where i did, it might be the trick! what the euro instructions have you tap in is at the dash dimmer connection, at the green wire:

since your wiring is closer already, you might get it with that one last connection... report back!

i will update the instructions to include the relay part you discovered, thanks mang, and glad i could help :thumbs_up:

#14 ·
Bigal8553 said:
RiVot,

Again Thanks
Can you tell us where you get the relay? thanks

#16 ·
Advantages: Simple installation, OEM quality setup, factory behavior - fogs only operate if low beams are on, plus dash indicator light functions as designed:

Disadvantages: more money - OEM relay is ~$50; factory behavior - if you want the fogs on w/o the low beams, sorry!
OK, I am a little confused :?: ! Do I have to have the factory relay in order to have the fog lights work independently of the low beam, or is it the other way around?

My intention is to have the fog lights work independently of the low beam switch, by using the switch included in the kit. Where does the little brown plug go?

*Also, anyone has the wiring diagram?

#17 ·
bringslite said:
OK, I am a little confused :?: ! Do I have to have the factory relay in order to have the fog lights work independently of the low beam, or is it the other way around?

My intention is to have the fog lights work independently of the low beam switch, by using the switch included in the kit. Where does the little brown plug go?

if you want to use the OEM wiring, then you need to add the relay, and you will have the OEM behavior, which means the fogs can only operate if the lowbeams are on.

if you want the fogs to operate independently, you need to wire them non-OEM style.

(not sure where that brown connector would go...)

#18 ·
RiVoT said:
bringslite said:

if you want to use the OEM wiring, then you need to add the relay, and you will have the OEM behavior, which means the fogs can only operate if the lowbeams are on.

if you want the fogs to operate independently, you need to wire them non-OEM style.

(not sure where that brown connector would go...)
Thanks RiVoT for a great post!

Could you please (or anyone else) elaborate on non-OEM wiring (in order to have lights work independently)? Also, when you use OEM wiring, where does the switch included in the kit comes into play?

#19 ·
Switch from kit

Myself along with RiVot used the switch from the kit and used the oem wiring.

The switch from the kit has a red, black and yellow wiring leads.

As Rivot stated before in his great detail, I put hte red lead to pin 4 wire on the

wire bundle and black to ground and the yellow I have not figured out yet but it

does work with the oem wiring.

The kit that I got did not have any wiring instructions with it that is why I went with

RiVot's instructions. I really don't mind them only working with the low beam lights.

#21 ·
Quality installation, my complements RiVoT for a job well done. I hope this inspires other forum members, well, lets say, to get your hands dirty. :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

Remember, every mod you do is unique in the World :!: You see Hondas, Nissans, Mazdas, almost the same stuff, and hundreds of them. Not RAV4s, very few if any in car shows. Making everyones mod unique. :thumbs_up:

#23 ·
RiVoT said:
Rav4Bear said:
Rivot,

I tapped the black into the purple wire (instead of the green) and it works for me . However the light is weak to be noticed at daylight.

Van
wow - no problems with oddball intermittnet blinks if the fogs are off?

if not i gotta try it - thanks!
OK,

tried tapping in the last switch wire (black in my case) into the purple wire and it's working as you said - dim, but similar to the window controls; and the light is on with the timed cabin lights - i.e. the key illuminator ring, dome light, etc - which is not necessarily bad. i tested it for a while for oddball effects, nothing bad yet...

#24 ·
I got the fog light kit from ebay. But there are so many wires connect together. Can anyone tell me which wire we need and how to seperate from the rest of the wire that we don't need. I saw wiring connecter connect to the relay and also a wire to the fuse. DO i need any of that? can i use the relay that come with the kit for the OEM relay .

ALso If i just put on the fog light and attach the OEM wiring at the front first without doing any wiring inside. Is it ok? I plan to do this in 2 parts.

thanks

#25 ·
Yes you can

Yes, you can do it in 2 parts, that is what I did.

Installed lights and put factory wiring to them.

Then all you need is the rocker switch and just the wiring pigtail that is attache to them, which is 3 wires red, black and yellow and follew instuctions that was in the begining of this thread.

Only thing different id that I used a NAPA relay instead of OEM as posted above.

Accually very simple if you want it stock.

Good Luck!!!

#26 ·
Re: Yes you can

Bigal8553 said:
Yes, you can do it in 2 parts, that is what I did.

Installed lights and put factory wiring to them.

Then all you need is the rocker switch and just the wiring pigtail that is attache to them, which is 3 wires red, black and yellow and follew instuctions that was in the begining of this thread.

Only thing different id that I used a NAPA relay instead of OEM as posted above.

Accually very simple if you want it stock.

Good Luck!!!

SO from the fog light kit, I just need the wire that 3 wires that has a connector that connect to the switch and i can disregard all other wires that come with it , right?

I removed all the wires and i see there are 4 wires on the end of the connector. yellow, red and 2 blacks. So i put the red one into the factory harness pin4 and then which black one i should connect to the ground? The black wire split into two wires. ANd so we don't need to connect the yellow one at all.

ALso , if i want to put the fog light on now and also connect the plug at front first and drive, and do the wiring in the front later later the other week, it is ok? Sorry that i don't know much about car electrics :?

Thanks for your help

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.