Mud Guard Installation - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.3 Exterior Tires, Wheels, Lights, Spoilers, Flares, Bars, Tow Hitches, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 09-26-2008, 12:52 PM
Vincent

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Mud Guard Installation

Hey, I just wanted to let those of you that are considering paying a dealer to install mud guards that there is likely no need to worry about doing it your self. The installation instructions (obviously translated from Japanese) are obscure at best.

I found it particularly odd that they instruct one to partially remove the rear bumper cover and drill holes. I suppose this is to prevent someone from drilling into the support under the bumper cover.
The instructions also instruct to place masking tape on the vehicle to protect the paint. In my opinion, this too, is not necessary.

I installed mine last night in the dark with a flashlight and it was a breeze.

For what its worth, I’d like to “re-write” the installation instructions in an effort to ease apprehension some folks may have after reading the somewhat convoluted instructions included with the mud guards.

FRONT:

Find one of the square plastic plugs in the included hardware and snap it into the square hole in the rocker panel (the underneath part of your truck). Install the front mud guard using the pan head (not the hex head) screws included in the kit. They will screw directly into the holes provided in the fender liner retainers, and in the hole in the square plug you just snapped in. It’s self explanatory once you see it with your own eyes.

REAR:

This appears to be the area that some people find daunting.

DRILL into my new Rav-4 ? !

Hopefully I can simplify the process.

Remove the hex head screws as indicated in the instructions except the very top one that holds your bumper cover on. Since you won’t really need to pull your bumper cover back there’s no need to remove it. Place them carefully to the side and don’t loose them, you’ll be reusing them.

On the inside edge of your bumper cover you’ll easily see two “dimples”. Take a punch (or small nail, small knitting needle, a piece of cut-off coat hanger, etc.) and gently pierce this dimple to make it a hole. The plastic is very thin because of the dimple and it will be easy to do. Install two of the metal J-clips included in the kit (with the larger of the two holes on the clip facing out where you can see it) over the two holes you just pierced. Install the mud guard using the screws you removed by screwing them back into the same locations they came out of. Use two of the new hex head screws in the kit to go into the holes and J-clips you just made. Push in a little so they can “bite” into the holes you just pierced. Done.

One thing that others have noted: The lowest new screw is very close to the rear tire. Even a stubby screwdriver won’t fit. I used an offset screwdriver. If you don’t have one, a socket or wrench will work.

I hope this encourages anyone who may be considering doing it themselves to go for it. It’s easy.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 09-30-2008, 09:23 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Yes, installing the mud flaps was pretty easy . My instructions were in English. I got the set from the dealership.

Nice mod that protects the body from road crap.

08 RAV4 Limited AWD V6
05 RAV4 S FWD 5spd -traded for 08
99 RX300
2012 Corvette ZR1
90 454 SS truck 425rwtq
#3 (permalink) Old 10-03-2008, 04:52 AM

How much did they cost? Looking to pickup a set before the end of the year.
#4 (permalink) Old 10-05-2008, 09:28 PM

I got my from eBay / Deland Toyota, great price. They ship via UPS so no need for the insurance as UPS automatically includes $100 insurance with their shipments. Be sure to get the right ones for your Rav (flared or not). Pics and tips on installation in my album.
#5 (permalink) Old 10-13-2008, 12:23 PM

I installed a set this weekend. Very easy. No drilling, I let the two screws for the back mudguards drill their own holes and go into the clips.

Ordered from Deland on Tue. and recieved them on Fri. USPS shipping so I paid the extra 1.30 ins.

If you can operate a screwdriver and read, you can do this.
#6 (permalink) Old 10-21-2008, 12:45 AM

Nice, I just recived mine but still havent found the time to install it, besides I hit de front bumper and have to replace it but thanks it will be easier to install after reading this, i got the mudguards from toyotapartsoutlet.com for 49.00 plus tax and S&H got them in 3 working days, very nice people in Toyota Dallas
#7 (permalink) Old 10-21-2008, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frontier49
I got my from eBay / Deland Toyota, great price. They ship via UPS so no need for the insurance as UPS automatically includes $100 insurance with their shipments. Be sure to get the right ones for your Rav (flared or not). Pics and tips on installation in my album.
i saw your album and ive noticed your hood deflector, how do you instal it, does it leave a mark wen you remove it?
#8 (permalink) Old 10-21-2008, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frontier49

+1

In 30 minutes you'll be admiring your new flaps!

Don't sweat the petty things..... and don't pet the sweaty things ! !
#9 (permalink) Old 10-26-2008, 02:33 AM

I just installed mine and there was no drilling.

I have a 2009 Limted with fender flares just like on the Sport Editions. Perhaps the models without fender flares require drilling?

'09 4WD V6 Limited
Blizzard Pearl
#10 (permalink) Old 10-26-2008, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeks
How much did they cost? Looking to pickup a set before the end of the year.
Check with your local Toyota dealers as well. I called mine and couldn't believe the price. They ordered my mudflaps, so I wasn't charged for shipping. I got all four mudflaps for less than $40. They were a breeze to install (and I'm a woman!! ).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page