Best All-Season Tire for Winter - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.3 Exterior Tires, Wheels, Lights, Spoilers, Flares, Bars, Tow Hitches, etc.

View Poll Results: What is the best all-season tire for winter conditions?
Goodyear Fortera TripeTred 10 18.87%
Yokohama Geolander A/T-S 6 11.32%
Nokian WR G2 SUV 11 20.75%
Other 26 49.06%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 11:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
Best All-Season Tire for Winter

Hello All,

I'm a relatively new (well, very new) RAV4 owner and am looking for a set of replacement tires for my vehicle. I have a 2007 RAV4 Limited 4WD with the 225/65-17 tire size. I'm trying to decide which all-season tire to purchase primarily based on which offers the best winter performance. I can't justify purchasing a dedicated winter tire because of how far south I live, but I take frequent weekend ski trips to snowier regions of the east coast so I still want a tire that performs well in the snow.

I've narrowed my search to the following three tires:

1. Goodyear Fortera TripeTred
2. Yokohama Geolander A/T-S
3. Nokian WR G2 SUV

Does anyone here have personal experience with any of these three tires? If you do a google search for the Nokians you'll see that they get tons of glowing reviews from people based on their winter traction - but I'm a little concerned with how long they'd last in our hot VA summers. It seems like the TripleTred's might be the best all around tire - but I'm a little concerned with some bad reviews on TireRack.com that state their winter performance as subpar.

Thanks for the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 12:38 PM

For the price, I'd be concerned about treadwear on the Nokian.
The best year round tire I've used is Michelin LTX M/S.
Fantastic winter traction and very good treadwear, smooth, quiet.
I am running Michelin LTX A/T's right now, very good but not what I'd put on a RAV.
#3 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 01:31 PM

(Thread Starter)
Prices

Yes, concerns about treadwear is my main hesitation about purchasing the Nokian's. Although I don't see if listed on their website I believe they come with a 50,000 mile treadlife warranty. They do seem to be getting pretty good reviews (with most people experience good treadlife) over at the VWvortex Forums among Touareg owners.

Also, the prices on the Nokians aren't that bad either - $134 a piece from mktire.com.

For reference - it looks like the TripleTreds are around $168/each and the Geolanders are $123/each from Discount Tire Direct.
#4 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 12:50 PM

(Thread Starter)
Does anybody else out there have an opinion on this? How about those of you that voted for "other" in the poll - what tire would you choose?
#5 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 06:02 PM

michelin all terrain suv. quiet and great in winter with high milage wear, got 70,000 on them and still good. They are expensive though

07 RAV4 I4
#6 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 08:36 PM
jdm

I voted for the Triple Tread mainly because I have them, not because I have any special knowledge. They are expensive but I like the ride and handling in wet and dry. The little snow we've had so far this year had been no test of anything.
#7 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 11:07 PM

I live in the mountains of Colorado and have a Sport with stock 18's. We are riding on the Bridgestone Alenzas and are happy with the performance and wear. I bought them new in June and we have 14k miles on them to date with 10/32nds left. I won't run them next year in the winter since the tread will be too low. Overall I am very happy with performance - not a snow tire but a good trade off.
#8 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 12:24 AM

I also recommend Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza 235/55/18. We replaced these on my wife's Rav4 Sport. The good news is that in snow/wintery conditions, these tires are quite amazing compared to the stockers. In the icy Wisconsin snow, the lateral grip is much more stable and the braking distance is sooo much better. The ride seems to be similar to the stock tires, and they are more quiet than the OEMs. The only bad thing I can say about them is the gas mileage seems to have decreased with the installation of these tires (~20 or so miles per tank).
#9 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flint35
I also recommend Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza 235/55/18. We replaced these on my wife's Rav4 Sport. The only bad thing I can say about them is the gas mileage seems to have decreased with the installation of these tires (~20 or so miles per tank).
Ditto here. Had them installed a couple of days before Christmas and have noticed I am getting 20 to 30 less miles per tank on mixed driving. Another member PM'd me with the same issue. I checked pressure (34psi all round) and it is not due to winter gas as mileage was fine until I changed to these right at Christmas and here in NH, the changeover is certainly much earlier than that. Great tire, but not impressed with the fuel mileage
#10 (permalink) Old 01-15-2009, 07:26 AM

(Thread Starter)
Mileage

Yeah... that's actually another reason why I'm drawn to the Nokian's. According to their website they are a low rolling resistance tire which would help out fuel economy. It seems this has been verified in the real world by Prius owners as well (see link).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page