How to remove spare tire cover? - Page 2 - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.3 Exterior Tires, Wheels, Lights, Spoilers, Flares, Bars, Tow Hitches, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#11 (permalink) Old 01-18-2009, 07:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: The dealer couldn't get it off either!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironbutttad
I tried again Friday night to get the cover off to no avail. I took it to the dealer on Saturday and they tried to get it off and couldn't succeed either. They ordered a new one! I'm guessing they are planning on cutting it off or busting it.
Interesting thing is they didn't try to get it off very long---maybe 20 minutes--before they decided to order a new one. That made me wonder if this is something they have seen before.
I'm probably gonna cut the cover off myself tomorrow. I think with a couple or three carefully placed cuts with a small dremel saw it will come off pretty easy.
When we get the new one, if it goes on and off easier, I'll probably put it on, but if not, I'll probably replace it with an after market softcover and put a locking lug nut on the spare.
Thanks for all the suggestions.
If you haven't cut it yet, try this. The cover should have the right side of the boomerang horizontal. If not, try to rotate the cover until it is. Then put both your hands on the bottom of the cover. You should be able to feel where the vinyl is split. Curl your fingers under the cover so that one hand is on each side of the split. Pull down and out a bit and hopefully the cover comes off. If you get it off, you will notice that there are small pads stuck to the inside of the cover. I assume this is to keep it tight. You might want to remove one and then put the cover back on. To put the cover back on, make sure the vinyl split is pointed down. Fit the top of the cover on and then insert your fingers on either side of the split on the botton. Pull down and out while gripping and pulling under the tire. Works everytime for me. Also, by having the split directly on the bottom, any water that gets in the cover drains out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#12 (permalink) Old 01-18-2009, 09:43 PM
ironbutttad

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Thanks for that tip, but as near as I can tell the hard shell part of the cover is wedged so tight there isn't a way to get it off without damaging it.
I have the vinyl and elastic part completely pulled back and the hard shell part won't budge a millimeter. I know it's not possible, but it's almost like someone put the shell on then over-inflated the tire.
I tried slipping a slip flat-blade screwdriver between the tire and the cover and there isn't even enough room to do that.
thanks again

#13 (permalink) Old 01-18-2009, 11:35 PM
ia_pebbles

Yikes! You are really making me apprehensive. Guess I'll go to the dealer and see what they have to say. It just shouldn't be this difficult. BTW, where do you find the soft cover you referenced in an earlier post. You can bet if I ever get this one off, it's going to stay off!

#14 (permalink) Old 01-19-2009, 02:13 AM
Advanced Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironbutttad
I have the vinyl and elastic part completely pulled back and the hard shell part won't budge a millimeter.
To me it sounds like a "BASE" model cover was inadvertently installed on your model. The "BASE" model cover is slightly smaller than the "STANDARD" cover... as it's designed for the 16" wheels/tires. I know for a fact that this mistake can happen... as I've seen it done in the past

Retired from R4W CLICK HERE
#15 (permalink) Old 02-12-2009, 08:22 AM
ironbutttad

The Cover has finally been replaced!!!!

The dealer cut the old one off but ordered the wrong one. They got the correct one in and it comes off much easier. It's still not the easiest to get off and it's even more of a pain to get it back on, but at least it does go on and off.
Thanks for all your replies. I suspect that, as one of the poster's pointed out, that it was probably the wrong size, but the dealer wouldn't admit it.

#16 (permalink) Old 11-24-2010, 01:24 PM

In case someone digs up this thread and looks for resolution to this same problem, let me share what I experienced: I have a RAV4 BASE 2008. I got the tire pressure warning light and since all 4 grounded tires were good, I wanted to check the spare tire. And as others noticed, it's really challenging to remove the spare tire cover of RAV4 BASE 2008. To begin with, the user manual says that there is a latch at the bottom of the cover. The manual even has a picture of that latch. But there is no such latch at all. There is a zipper at the inner side of the tire cover (near the top), as BigSwede pointed out. Eventually what I did was to unzip the zipper at the top, and put my hands inside the split of the vinyl at the very bottom of the spare tire cover, and then just pull the cover downwards then out. That's it.

To put the cover back, just do the reverse: "hang" the cover (with the zipper at upper side) on top of the spare tire, then hold the bottom edge of the rim and bring it back to position. Work at either side of the rim to help it squeeze in if necessary. Then zip up the zipper at the top.
#17 (permalink) Old 12-01-2010, 08:09 PM

Its amazing to see how many there are out there that are installed incorrectly.
I see them mounted in odd positions all the time, without the split down.
Must be a local dealer that is putting them on in a hurry.
The split should be down, the zippered cover at the top. Its in the instructions.
#18 (permalink) Old 08-17-2011, 07:48 PM

I also have the manual that says about the latch but mine has the zipper. I just got a couple new tires and the guys at the tire shop just shoved the cover on with the material all knotted up. I tried to fit it more properly but you have to have skiiny fingers like a women to work the material around and to the back like it should be. Here's what I would like to know. Why the **** did they change design from the latch that can't be accessed when the door is closed to this P.O.S. that can be stolen in seconds? Also couldn't Toyota at least provide a manual that described their actual product. They might has well have given me the owners manual for a KIA!
#19 (permalink) Old 08-17-2011, 11:57 PM
Your Humble Administrator

Thanked 1,148 Times in 828 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arroyo Toad View Post
I also have the manual that says about the latch but mine has the zipper. I just got a couple new tires and the guys at the tire shop just shoved the cover on with the material all knotted up. I tried to fit it more properly but you have to have skiiny fingers like a women to work the material around and to the back like it should be. Here's what I would like to know. Why the **** did they change design from the latch that can't be accessed when the door is closed to this P.O.S. that can be stolen in seconds? Also couldn't Toyota at least provide a manual that described their actual product. They might has well have given me the owners manual for a KIA!
Welcome to RAV4World, Toad. Only the Limited model has the latch on the spare tire cover. The Base and Sport models have the zipper.

James

2008 Limited V6 2WD "The Silver Bullet"

#20 (permalink) Old 08-17-2011, 11:58 PM
Advanced Member

I can just unzip the flex vinyl at the top to get the cover on my 2011 Base off far enough to check the spare's pressure, but would hate to have to get it off all the way to use the spare. As others have noted the owner's manual is wrong, at least regarding the cover on the Base model. There is no latch. It's as if Toyota figures that some owners will never need to use their spare tires!

Jim
2011 Upgraded Base V6 4WD
2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic LT
2002 Craftsman LT1000 V2

Jesus is Lord

Last edited by Blogson; 08-18-2011 at 12:00 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page