How to remove spare tire cover? - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.3 Exterior Tires, Wheels, Lights, Spoilers, Flares, Bars, Tow Hitches, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 01-16-2009, 08:45 AM
ironbutttad

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
How to remove spare tire cover?

I read a lot of posts about the P.O.S. spare tire cover and how to put it back on but couldn't find if anyone had found a trick to take it off.
We bought my wife a 2008 RAV4 over the weekend and the Underinflation light is on. I checked the 4 tires on the ground and they were all OK. I decided to check the spare and after about 30-45 minutes of frustration, I gave up trying to remove the cover.
I called service and the tech said, something like, "yeah, those are hard to get off and even harder to get back on."
Anyway, this is the cover with the hard shell and the vinyl with elastic around the back--it does not have the latch.
I finally got the vinyl completely pulled towards the back and around the hard shell but I yanked, pulled and pried and couldn't get the hard shell to budge.
It was cold in the garage and my hands probably weren't working so well but it should be easier.
Anyone got any tips? Once it's off, it's probably gonna stay off.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 01-16-2009, 09:31 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
If you have the one with the vinyl portion, there is a zipper at the top you have to undo to release a piece of vinyl that goes behind the tire.

That piece is vital to keeping the cover on the tire, when I got my RAV it was folded under the lip (incorrectly) and the cover popped off in the carwash.

But there is nothing wrong with leaving the cover off, I have never put the new cover on that the carwash bought me...looks a little more rugged that way 8)

Worth noting that I have steel wheels, not many people going to steal those, which having no cover makes a little easier...

~Steve in Minnesota
08 Base V6 AWD Silver

"By day two of our four-day drive, no one knew which vehicles would finish in second through eighth places. Yet everyone knew where the Toyota [RAV4] would finish." - Car and Driver SUV comparison test, January 2010
#3 (permalink) Old 01-16-2009, 09:35 AM
ironbutttad

Thanks for the tip, but if there is a zipper there somewhere it is hidden really well. I'll look again tonite. I had the vinyl portion completely pulled back over the hard shell so that I could see the stitching where it was fastened to the hardshell but I didn't see a zipper.
Again, I'll check again tonite.
Thanks again

#4 (permalink) Old 01-16-2009, 01:19 PM
Advanced Member

Wow, my 2007 Sport tire cover goes on and off rather easily. There's even enough "play" that I can spin the cover around so the little "echelon" feature can be oriented in a different direction if desired.

Perhaps your problem is that the rear spare is inflated too much. That will also set off the TPMS if I remember correctly. If the tire is inflated too much that will explain why you are having such a difficult time trying to the the cover off.

Is it really cold where you live? That might be a reason contributing to the tightness as well.

Got a little Captain in ya?....aaarrrggghhh
#5 (permalink) Old 01-16-2009, 02:04 PM

Re: How to remove spare tire cover?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironbutttad
I read a lot of posts about the P.O.S. spare tire cover and how to put it back on but couldn't find if anyone had found a trick to take it off.
We bought my wife a 2008 RAV4 over the weekend and the Underinflation light is on. I checked the 4 tires on the ground and they were all OK. I decided to check the spare and after about 30-45 minutes of frustration, I gave up trying to remove the cover.
I called service and the tech said, something like, "yeah, those are hard to get off and even harder to get back on."
Anyway, this is the cover with the hard shell and the vinyl with elastic around the back--it does not have the latch.
I finally got the vinyl completely pulled towards the back and around the hard shell but I yanked, pulled and pried and couldn't get the hard shell to budge.
It was cold in the garage and my hands probably weren't working so well but it should be easier.
Anyone got any tips? Once it's off, it's probably gonna stay off.
Thanks
Are you trying to take the cover off with the rear door opened or closed? I've found it MUCH easier to take the cover on and off with the door opened.
#6 (permalink) Old 01-16-2009, 02:08 PM
Advanced Member

Re: How to remove spare tire cover?

Quote:
Originally Posted by milehightrax
Are you trying to take the cover off with the rear door opened or closed? I've found it MUCH easier to take the cover on and off with the door opened.
+1

Got a little Captain in ya?....aaarrrggghhh
#7 (permalink) Old 01-16-2009, 02:12 PM
ironbutttad

Yeah, I tried with the door open and with the door closed. I think the poster that mentioned that the tire might be over inflated might have hit the nail on the head. The thing is, I can't deflate the tire without taking the cover off and I can't get the cover off with the over-inflated tire. I'll work on it again tonight and see what happens.
I'll try and post over the weekend or on monday to let you know what happens.
keep any other suggestions coming.
Thanks

#8 (permalink) Old 01-16-2009, 02:27 PM
Advanced Member

My 08 was a snap.... literally but I have the limited without the vynl.

Cars, snowboarding, house modding.
#9 (permalink) Old 01-18-2009, 06:49 PM
ia_pebbles

My owner's manual says that there's a latch under the spare cover. Be darned if I can find it after crawling all over the cold garage floor. The door was open as the manual said.

I've got the low pressure light on and it's driving me nuts! It's got to be the spare as I aired all the others up.

Help!

#10 (permalink) Old 01-18-2009, 07:33 PM
ironbutttad

The dealer couldn't get it off either!!

I tried again Friday night to get the cover off to no avail. I took it to the dealer on Saturday and they tried to get it off and couldn't succeed either. They ordered a new one! I'm guessing they are planning on cutting it off or busting it.
Interesting thing is they didn't try to get it off very long---maybe 20 minutes--before they decided to order a new one. That made me wonder if this is something they have seen before.
I'm probably gonna cut the cover off myself tomorrow. I think with a couple or three carefully placed cuts with a small dremel saw it will come off pretty easy.
When we get the new one, if it goes on and off easier, I'll probably put it on, but if not, I'll probably replace it with an after market softcover and put a locking lug nut on the spare.
Thanks for all the suggestions.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page