Rear bumper repair - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.3 Exterior Tires, Wheels, Lights, Spoilers, Flares, Bars, Tow Hitches, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 01-31-2009, 12:39 PM
StorminMike

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Rear bumper repair

My wife backed her car into the remains of tree stump last fall, cracking the bumper cover and deforming the bumper core support in the process.

Local body shops want an arm and a leg to do the work, and feel that they should repaint a chunk of the sheet metal as well to blend in the new color with the old - something that never looks right to me. I'd rather have the color difference be at the body line.

Has anyone here ever replaced the rear bumper themselves? The only part that seems a little tricky to find is the bumper cover itself - does anyone sell those pre-painted? I haven't found any shops locally willing to just do the paint job on that one part.

Related question: On my other car I purchased a shop manual from Bentley publishing, but they don't cover this car. Any recommendations on who has a good Rav4 shop manual?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 01-31-2009, 12:57 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Rear bumper repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by StorminMike
Related question: On my other car I purchased a shop manual from Bentley publishing, but they don't cover this car. Any recommendations on who has a good Rav4 shop manual?
Good? I would not say so, but see
http://rav4world.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=17165
#3 (permalink) Old 02-03-2009, 08:34 AM

I'll be interested to see the responses you get. Last August, just a couple months after getting the Rav4, my wife also had a mishap with it and backed into a closed gate across my driveway. She did just enough damage to put a permanent crease in the bumper cover (no cracks in the cover itself) and to wreck the paint. (It looks like the clear coat is almost a sheet of plastic and could be peeled off where the bumper cover is creased?!?)

I've seen rear bumper covers on eBay every once in a while, but I know that I'm no expert at body work, so I've just lived with the damage. (As far as I can tell it's all cosmetic in my case...not as bad as your damage.) FWIW, if you wait around long enough, you'll probably even see bumper covers out there that are pre-painted.

Have you tried a big salvage yard chain? I know in Pittsburgh, we have a salvage yard called All Foreign Auto. (http://www.allforeignautoparts.com/) Their 'yard' consists of a warehouse full of wrecked foreign cars on big pallets stored/stacked in enormous racks. They keep a database of what cars they have and what is damaged on them, then they use that info to extrapolate what parts are left by comparing the parts lists to the damage and keeping track of what they sell. You call them up and ask if they've got the part you need, then they check their database and send someone out to get the part off their wrecked vehicle. I've replaced wheels and tail lights there a number of times after hitting any of Pittsburgh's many pot holes or being backed into by people who can't park. I've even seen them cutting whole quarter panels out for body shops...

Anyway, they can also search a database of parts at other locations nationally and have the parts brought in from other salvage yards around the country if they don't have what you need.

I don't know that they'd be able to help you, but I'm sure that if someplace like this exists in Pittsburgh, then there must be other places doing the same kind of thing in other cities around the country...

Dave C.
1998 Subaru Outback Sport
#4 (permalink) Old 02-03-2009, 02:45 PM

Here's a link for a bumper cover out there now...

This one probably isn't what you're looking for since it looks like it isn't painted:
http://cgi.ebay.com/RAV4-REAR-BUMPER...400014989675QQ

...but, here's one that looks like it's painted Flint Micah...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TOYOT...Q5fAccessories

Dave C.
#5 (permalink) Old 02-03-2009, 08:29 PM
StorminMike

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
That's a good idea, I can certainly keep an eye on eBay for a while. It's too cold outside to do this work now anyway - my garage isn't that warm.

A buddy who is helping me on this looked around for salvage yards - he's dealt with them a lot in the past - but there aren't any that are close by where I live. It seemed like a good idea to see if they were available for order somewhere before we spent a couple hours in the car (round trip) driving to one.

Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarr1971

I've seen rear bumper covers on eBay every once in a while, but I know that I'm no expert at body work, so I've just lived with the damage. (As far as I can tell it's all cosmetic in my case...not as bad as your damage.) FWIW, if you wait around long enough, you'll probably even see bumper covers out there that are pre-painted.

Have you tried a big salvage yard chain? I know in Pittsburgh, we have a salvage yard called All Foreign Auto. (http://www.allforeignautoparts.com/) Their 'yard' consists of a warehouse full of wrecked foreign cars on big pallets stored/stacked in enormous racks. They keep a database of what cars they have and what is damaged on them, then they use that info to extrapolate what parts are left by comparing the parts lists to the damage and keeping track of what they sell. You call them up and ask if they've got the part you need, then they check their database and send someone out to get the part off their wrecked vehicle. I've replaced wheels and tail lights there a number of times after hitting any of Pittsburgh's many pot holes or being backed into by people who can't park. I've even seen them cutting whole quarter panels out for body shops...

:cheers:

#6 (permalink) Old 02-04-2009, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StorminMike
That's a good idea, I can certainly keep an eye on eBay for a while. It's too cold outside to do this work now anyway - my garage isn't that warm.

A buddy who is helping me on this looked around for salvage yards - he's dealt with them a lot in the past - but there aren't any that are close by where I live. It seemed like a good idea to see if they were available for order somewhere before we spent a couple hours in the car (round trip) driving to one.

Mike
I think these guys will ship...their site says they have an eBay store...

Dave C.
#7 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 04:12 PM

uhh ohhh same problem happend to my moms rav today too. anybody know if there is any differences between the limited and sport? and what is the difference on flares and no flares? also has anyone found the exact part number thought about calling toyota. my brother works for a technical school which means a discount and free painting on the bumper. i found this bumper on ebay and it comes painted.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/06-07-08-09-Toyota-Rav4-Rear-Bumper-PAINTED-4-YOU-w-flr_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3286Q2em20Q2el1116Q QitemZ260260466502QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPart sQ5fAccessories
#8 (permalink) Old 11-04-2010, 10:32 AM

My rear bumper is dented in on the corner and I wanted to get it fixed. I've seen some parts online. What is the difference between a rear bumper with flares and no flares?
I have a 2007 RAV4 Sport.
#9 (permalink) Old 11-05-2010, 03:47 AM
Advanced Member

Long answer short: You have the Sport model - just get the one with flares.
#10 (permalink) Old 03-17-2011, 11:11 PM

I have a 2005 RAV4. The passenger rear bumper and flip (what's the actual name for this part? ) crashed down by a trailer. I'm looking for a new bumper but in the website the rear bumper seems smaller. I'm afraid it cannot fit my car. Please advise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page