TPMS Light Flash + Dealer Reset story - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.3 Exterior Tires, Wheels, Lights, Spoilers, Flares, Bars, Tow Hitches, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 10:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
TPMS Light Flash + Dealer Reset story

So last week the TPMS light would flash for 1min after starting the car. According to the owners manual this means the system needs to be serviced. So I took it to the dealer this morning for an oil change and told them about the light. The guy at the service desk told me they would reset the TPMS system and that would fix it. I asked what would cause the light to flash and why they were only to to reset the system. He told me the TPMS must be reset every 5,000miles. I went on to tell him I have had the car since new (today was 15,000 miles service) and had not see the light flash like that once in all that time. He went on to tell me they reset it every time it is in for an oil change and must of frogot last time (I got to the same dealer for all my oil changes about every 3 to 3.5K miles as an oil change is only $22.00 and they take no longer than 20mins) I go on to say if you frogot it last time I would be at about 6,500miles for the last time they reset they TPMS and the light had just starting flashing 200miles ago. Now to me this sounds like a line of BS this is my 1st car with TPMS but I don't see why it would need to be reset every 5K miles. Any one else get this story before? Is the only way to reset through the computer? What might the real cause of the light flashing meaning service really be?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 10:48 PM
Advanced Member

Somebody is confusing the TPMS (tire pressure montoring system) light with the service required light that goes on. That service required light has a procedure that can reset the light without equipment. The TPMS light does not.
#3 (permalink) Old 02-26-2009, 01:14 PM
Advanced Member

Mine never went on in 13K miles..until I got a screw in my tire. Sounds like BS to me.

~Steve in Minnesota
08 Base V6 AWD Silver

"By day two of our four-day drive, no one knew which vehicles would finish in second through eighth places. Yet everyone knew where the Toyota [RAV4] would finish." - Car and Driver SUV comparison test, January 2010
#4 (permalink) Old 03-02-2009, 09:39 AM

(Thread Starter)
Well looks like I'm going back to the dealer because my TPMS light is flashing again, after only 50miles since my service. I hope I get to talk to the same guy when I take it back and ask him why it is flashing after only 50miles when it needs to be reset every 5Kmile as he told me ! The guy I talked to on the phone said most likley it is a bad sensor and does not know why they would of just reset last time I was their.
#5 (permalink) Old 03-02-2009, 11:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by isutechman
Well looks like I'm going back to the dealer because my TPMS light is flashing again, after only 50miles since my service. I hope I get to talk to the same guy when I take it back and ask him why it is flashing after only 50miles when it needs to be reset every 5Kmile as he told me ! The guy I talked to on the phone said most likley it is a bad sensor and does not know why they would of just reset last time I was their.
Have the service department gurus tried checking the air pressure in your spare tire also just to make sure it isn't low and causing the TPMS light to go on?

Got a little Captain in ya?....aaarrrggghhh
#6 (permalink) Old 03-02-2009, 04:36 PM

(Thread Starter)
I check the spare. The light is no on stedy like it would be if i had flat or low tire, rather it is flashing when you start the car indicating it needs to be serviced "according to the manual" When I first got the car the light came on and I check all the tires and though well none are low until a guy I work with who has a 06 Rav told me to check the spare, and sure enough the spare was low.
#7 (permalink) Old 03-02-2009, 08:41 PM
Advanced Member

Garage
Send a message via AIM to The Drifter Send a message via Yahoo to The Drifter
Well for one, your service advisor has NO idea what hes talking about (as it also sounds to me that he is confusing the maint. required light with the TPMS warning light).

The TPMS system does NOT get reset after an oil change unless the tire pressures are changed. And even then, there isnt really a reset for the newer toyota TPMS systems, as it auto corrects itself once the tires are within +/-2 (around 2, not sure on exact spec) psi from each other. Once the pressure is set, the light should go out automatically within 5 minutes of moving the vehicle.

But now I have some bad news: On the Toyota TPMS, if the light is FLASHING, that usually means there is some sort of system error that has a diagnostic trouble code (DTC) stored in the TPMS ECU. This can include anything from a dead/damaged wheel sensor, or a faulty TPMS receiver/ECM. What you need to do is talk to someone at the dealer that knows what he's talking about and have the pull the code and see whats up. (9 times out of 10, its a dead/damaged sensor.)
#8 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 08:34 AM

(Thread Starter)
I'm taking the RAV in thursday, I never though of scaning it for a code, I have a ScanGauge II so I think I will pull the code tonight. Has anyone else had this happen? It is an 08 with just over 15,000 miles on it. It seams too soon for this to happen, but at least it should all be covered by the 3/36,000 warrenty (I hope).
#9 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 10:09 AM
Advanced Member

Yes a faulty TPMS sensor would be covered under warranty. I've already had one replaced.

~Steve in Minnesota
08 Base V6 AWD Silver

"By day two of our four-day drive, no one knew which vehicles would finish in second through eighth places. Yet everyone knew where the Toyota [RAV4] would finish." - Car and Driver SUV comparison test, January 2010
#10 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 09:02 PM

(Thread Starter)
I hope this is not a trend that will happen after the warranty is done as I'm sure the sensor is not cheap. Hooked up the ScanGauge when I got home and it will not find any error code. See what the dealer tells me Thursday.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page