Std Steel Wheel Rust - Page 2 - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.3 Exterior Tires, Wheels, Lights, Spoilers, Flares, Bars, Tow Hitches, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#11 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012, 12:09 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I've used Rustoleum on our backyard steel windmill, which in this part of Oregon gets quite a blasting from wind and rain. After several coats it's practically indestructible even when applied to metal which has some rust already (sand down the rust as much as practicable). Of course there may be better products available for automotive steel wheels.

Jim
2011 Upgraded Base V6 4WD
2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic LT
2002 Craftsman LT1000 V2

Jesus is Lord
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#12 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 08:55 AM

BTT- anyone have a recommendation for sealant/wax to apply to steel wheels to PREVENT rusting?

2009 RAV4 Sport 4WD V6 SAP
#13 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 12:14 PM
Advanced Member

Garage
Prep and paint them right the first time with this kit. Awesome stuff.
#14 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pico View Post
Prep and paint them right the first time with this kit. Awesome stuff.
Looks good. For restoration and repair, (battery trays, seat floor mounts, misc metal parts) I have used this process with good results:
1. Clean with water and soap
2. Degrease with acetone
3. Wire brush all loose rust
4. Apply Extend rust converter. Or similar by Permatex.
5. Apply primer.
6. Apply paint.

But I am talking about protecting brand new wheels so that the rusting is significantly slowed initially. Sealant/polish like DuraGloss 105? Other ideas?

#15 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4 rav View Post
That's what you get when you buy Toyota car or truck! Lots if rust and steel rims that can't be balanced? when you take your wheels to the tire shop for balancing, watch the wheels as they get balanced: they wobble. the tire shop won't tell you that. they will balance the wheels even if they can't be balanced because they want to get paid! look at wheels as they spin at the tire shop if you doubt me!
This is exactly the problem that I am having. I am seriously looking into replacemnt rims precisely because of this.
#16 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 10:30 PM

Steel wheels tend to rust at sharp edges where the paint is thin. I have the styled steel wheels on my RAV and we had such a good winter last year that very little salt was used in the city. Still, I had rust rings where the lug nuts met the wheel. I used a little CLR (calcium-lime-rust remover) and then applied a coating of NuFinish polish with a Q-tip and left it there all winter. This year, I bought winter tires on black steel wheels and the styled steels will be safe and dry in the garage.

2011 Pacific Blue Base AWD
2013 Nissan Juke SV
1991 Honda CRX Si
#17 (permalink) Old 12-13-2012, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioQuest View Post
Steel wheels tend to rust at sharp edges where the paint is thin. I have the styled steel wheels on my RAV and we had such a good winter last year that very little salt was used in the city. Still, I had rust rings where the lug nuts met the wheel. I used a little CLR (calcium-lime-rust remover) and then applied a coating of NuFinish polish with a Q-tip and left it there all winter. This year, I bought winter tires on black steel wheels and the styled steels will be safe and dry in the garage.
What is this "NuFinish" of which you speak?

Actually I see the product on the Nufinish website, but they don't describe what it is.
They say it's not like an old-fashioned wax with carnuba, but then they describe the exact process of using the old-style carnuba-based wax. Is this nothing but expensive Turtle Wax? Is it a wax-based product or a polymer sealant?

I'd really like to find a thick polymer sealant for this application. But perhaps a rather thin coating of FluidFilm is more appropriate. I think that's what I'm going to try, lacking any other suggestions. I'll let you know how it works out come spring.

#18 (permalink) Old 12-13-2012, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdograv View Post
What is this "NuFinish" of which you speak?

Actually I see the product on the Nufinish website, but they don't describe what it is.
They say it's not like an old-fashioned wax with carnuba, but then they describe the exact process of using the old-style carnuba-based wax. Is this nothing but expensive Turtle Wax? Is it a wax-based product or a polymer sealant?

I'd really like to find a thick polymer sealant for this application. But perhaps a rather thin coating of FluidFilm is more appropriate. I think that's what I'm going to try, lacking any other suggestions. I'll let you know how it works out come spring.
NuFinish is a car polish that's been on the market since about the 1980s. It's really more of a wax/sealant, because it is not very abraisive. It is a petroleum product, smells awful and stains black trim if you're not careful applying it. But, it tends to last for a long time when applied properly. I even use it on glass as it works pretty similarly to RainX. I also like to glob it on my chrome lug nuts and leave it there until the spring. Then I just buff it off and the lug nuts look new and untouched by the winter's elements.

http://www.nufinish.com/products/car-polish

2011 Pacific Blue Base AWD
2013 Nissan Juke SV
1991 Honda CRX Si
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page