Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Motorized Folding Mirrors

16K views 21 replies 13 participants last post by  ricepower 
#1 ·
Is it possible to mod the rav4 side mirror so that it can be folded using a switch?

Thanks,

#2 ·
I guess it is possible... but I don't have a clue how much $ it will cost.

In Europe, the executive and luxury models are factory loaded with that feature, but not the RAV Cityscape or the RAV4 comfort models, which come loaded only with heated side mirrors.

Best,

Nick

#6 ·
Go get some off of an Isuzu Trooper...most of the later model ones had power folding mirrors. Handy for off road so they don't get knocked off by brush and such...

#8 ·
mushisushi said:
Anyone know how easy/hard it is to do this type of mod?

I've been searching online all over the place and haven't seen much.

Also, I've saw someone say that the Japanese Rav4 already has this feature. Anyone know where we can get the JDM parts?

Thanks,
It depends on what you want from the mirror movement. It can be relatively simple for a non-controlled, powered mirror, to pretty complex if you want the mirror movement to be computer controlled and the switch to be a one-push button. In the latter case, you'd have to have some feedback to detect when the mirror has reached end of travel and then cut power, and that gets complicated.

This reminds me of a feature our BMW had, where when you shift into reverse, the passenger side rearview mirror swivels down so you can see the passenger side rear tire and curb, to assist with parking. Unfortunately, if you snagged reverse on your way to engaging park and managed to shut off the engine before the mirror completed its travel, the ECU improperly received or ignored the signal the mirror had reached end of travel and kept supplying power to the motor even though the car was off, parked, and the key was removed. BMW had several instances of people coming out to their garage to find their passenger side mirrors and doors on fire from the motor overheating. They eventually disabled that programming via a TSB update to the flash memory in the ECU.

So, if you want just simple control of the mirror, you have to make sure that power gets cut off in some way, such as when the ignition turns off.

#9 ·
Thanks rav4two,

I'm actually looking for a simple Power folding mechanism for the side mirrors. I know what you're referring to about the BMW's mirror tilting when in reverse, but I don't need it to be that fancy.

All I want is the mirrors to fold inwards so that people are less likely to knock the side mirrors when they are driving/walking by.

Thanks,

#10 ·
mushisushi said:
All I want is the mirrors to fold inwards so that people are less likely to knock the side mirrors when they are driving/walking by.
Wouldn't it be better for those walking by feel to nudge the mirror rather than using the full length of your car for first contact? Plus, for those driving by ear, it seems better if they hit the mirror than scrape the side of the car.

That sounds like a feature more in tune with places where they park on the sidewalks.

#11 ·
Carbon said:
mushisushi said:
Wouldn't it be better for those walking by feel to nudge the mirror rather than using the full length of your car for first contact? Plus, for those driving by ear, it seems better if they hit the mirror than scrape the side of the car.

That sounds like a feature more in tune with places where they park on the sidewalks.
Please don't get me wrong, I would rather people not hit my car at all. The point of folding the mirrors is to reduce the width of your car.

For some odd reason, every forum I've read, I hear people saying that they would rather get their mirrors struck instead of their car, but if they're going to hit the car, they're going to hit the car. If you fold the mirrors, they're less likely to hit the mirrors

#12 ·
mushisushi said:
For some odd reason, every forum I've read, I hear people saying that they would rather get their mirrors struck instead of their car, but if they're going to hit the car, they're going to hit the car. If you fold the mirrors, they're less likely to hit the mirrors
This discussion comes up a lot?

#21 ·
I already found some but i doubt they will fold unless you run extra wires from them to a new switch with a folding button.
They are available on aliexpress.

#22 ·
Auto folding mirrors are factory equipped with JDM Rav4. You can score used one out from buyee.com . Kindly note that the wiring is not plug and play as the wires with auto fold mirrors is more compared to NA models. You have to get a new set of mirror/glass as the JDM ones are RHD type opposed to NA models - LHD. Also with the switch, you have to replace it with the fold mirror button.

You can also swap the internals of the JDM mirrors to your existing side mirror.

You can source out also the kit on this site - Toyota RAV4 Automatic Folding Mirror Motor with Power Folding Switch|Napa Industries

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.